Adding slideouts to an '81 Dolphin - anybody tried this?

idtracey

I'm considering adding a couple of slideouts to my '81 Dolphin. I have the 300 series which is the one with the rear kitchen. The first slide would be in the overcab area - something to push it out about a foot so that I can fit in the bed (I'm 6'-5"). I'd also like to slide the sitting area out by about 18" to give a little more floor space in the main cabin.

Has anybody on here actually added a slideout to their toyhome? Any advice/problems you'd like to share?

Thanks!

I started demo on my rig last night and, after looking at the skeleton frame, I have a much better idea on the approach required to build the slideouts. Beefing up the frame won't be too much of a problem, but keeping the weight down to something reasonable will be. For the overcab area, the slide can basically be a big drawer and pulled out by hand since it's only a foot and won't be supporting tons of weight. Sliding out the seating area is going to be more of a challenge. I have the wheel well and gas fill for my second tank to deal with. Framing and mechanicals will add about 300#.