Smokey Mountains

sbrewer

Hi All,

I'm knew here and love this forum. I have just started looking at the Toyota MH"s, and really love the way they look. We go to the Smokey Mountains all the time, and my question is how good are the Toys at climbing mountains? Is one better than the rest as far as 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl for this kind of trip?

Thanks,

sbrewer

Hello,

I have an 85 Sunrader with a 22RE, and it crawls up grades of more that 15%. We did a trip around the Gaspe' peninsula of Quebec and there were times we were down to 20MPH. The grades on the highways in the Smokies are probably less, but the back roads probably have some doozies. Having said that, I don't know that a 6 would be much better. You're still pulling 7000lbs up a hill with a fairly low horsepower motor. Good luck in your search-We sure love ours despite it's crawling up hills.

All the Best,

James

Get a v6, we have a 22ft 1991 winnebego itasca v6, weighs 7000 lbs with us in it . Made a trip over the mountains

to Vancouver last summer, came back the southern way where there are grades of 6% or more that go on for 5 to 10

miles. Transmission in 2 gear (auto) would easily maintain about 40mph with fairly light throttle, no where near full, probably

1/3 throttle. Climbed several of these on a very hot day and saw a few other full size motorhomes that didnt make it

(overheated), but we had no problem at all.

Good morning;

Basically, you're going to find that both the 4 and 6 are fully capable of handling mountainous terrain. My 4cyl 22RE has crossed the Rockies several times and rode the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia , which actually has steeper grades, with no problem. Just got a 6 cyl and will be puting it to the test. Already though, I can tell it will be able to maintain higher rpm's in hilly country.

Have fun, see you on the road.

Graham

btw, going to the Toy Rally in Illinois in Oct.?

Thanks everyone for your response. We probably will not make the rally. We have not purchased a Toy yet. Just started looking and wanted to make sure it would make it in the mountains. We go to the Smokey Mountains most of the time. We are trying to plan a cross country trip though, so I hope a Toy would make the long haul.

sbrewer

I've taken both of mine coast to coast several times with no problems at all.

Just like with any vehicle. Make sure it is in good working condition and that you keep up on the normal maintenance items (fluids, belts, hoses, tires, brakes... all rvehicles equire the same thing whether a Toyota or a BMW)