Fumes inside camper from gas filler line

Yostfmx

On my 82 Sunrader the gas filler line and vent line to the gas tank goin to the camper of the motorhome then back down in out the floor to the gas tank. I put new 3'' gas line (or something) and vent line on, new hose clamps, and when it gets hot you can smell gas in the camper? Whats the deal? put another hose clamp on and cranked it down, put new sheet metal plate around the hoses on under the floor and tapped it with metal tape to seal it off, but you can still smell it? How do I fix it? I've made a box over it that will be lined in foil and siliconed down with vents to the outside but the whole gas lines going in side doesn't sound safe! Anyone else have this problem? Can't just be me?

It could be anything from rotten breather hose (which goes to the engine compartment), to a bad fuel cap, to bad gasket on the filler bits or fuel sending unit, to a rotten tank.

If the tank does not have much fuel in it you may consider draining it (from the drain plug), dropping it, and checking it out to find where it is leaking.

You should not smell fuel at all.

I had a fuel smell in my Sunrader and the fuel lines never enter the cabin. It turned out to be a bad gasket on top of the tank where the sending unit goes into the tank.

Also on a hot day if your tank is full or nearly full the sun can draw fumes out and they can be quite strong.

Allen

Oh crap... Sounds like something I don't want to do. The tank has not a lot of gas in it, and changed the gas cap with a new one that the old owner had bought. It seems to do it when it the tank gets hot. Never smelt it till 3 weeks ago. I did change the 3 gas lines that go to the motor when I bought the RV 6 months ago at the same time that I changed the gas filler hoses, 2 were cracked and leaking gas, all new now. Is there anymore lines then that? These were all right under the step on passenger side.

If you do end up dropping the tank this is what I have always done. Wash it extremely well to get all dirt grease and muck off of it (do a squeaky clean job). Remove everything that goes into it; sender, fuel pump (if you have one in the tank), filler tubing connections (if they are flange type). PAINT the tank. Get some 3M rubberized undercoating and cover the tank with that after the paint has cured for at least a week. Put new gaskets on and re-install the sender and other bits, then rehang the tank.

Now this should only be done if the tank is in good enough condition that it will survive another couple of decades. If the tank is badly rusted or there is a lot of rust inside, it is not worth going the full 9 yards but it is always worth coating the outside of the tank when it is just setting there on the ground

What do you seal the sender with? Straight Gasket sealer? And yes the whole tank is rusty on the outside, not to crusty just all rusty. I'm going to cut up the floor to get to the tank, as I have to the way I did the hose connections and tapped the it up...

Go to the Toyota dealer and get new gaskets for the topside ports they're only a couple of bucks each. You may have the optional 26 gallon tank that Sunrader offered. It uses the same Toyota gaskets as the original tank. Pictured is a partial view of the optional tank, It's built like an inverted "L" with the top passing over the drive shaft.

Allen

post-481-1218051739_thumb.jpg

Yep, thats the one! Its a big tank. It looks very hard to drop it... no, it looks like you can't drop it. Well I'm not sure anymore if the smell is gas. I smelt it then smelt a gas can and it didn't smell the same really. I had two people smell it and they said its not gas more like glue and plywood, and they may be right cause I put down 5/8s plywood over the old floor and sprayed 3M adhesion spray with tin foil on the whole bottom. With it being so hot inside I think it may be of gassing, and the only place that its open to get out is right where the gas filler goes thru the floor. I not really sure what to think?