Added a Bunk Bed

bufbooth

Hello All,

I finally got around to adding a bunk bed over the couch. I have three boys and the couch

pulls all the way out which blocks the walk way, which is a bit of a problem at 3am in the

morning trying to use the washroom (no room to walk). I was going to add a bunk bed over

the barrel chairs, but did not have much of a wall on the frig to support the bed and I really

did not want to build an external support, so I decided to go over the couch. I used a old

aluminum bunk bed from a 1968 pickup truck camper (we kept it from my Dad's camper that

I used to sleep on as a kid back in the early 70s.) One should be able to find a one at a RV

salvage company. The bunk bed was wider than I wanted, so I sawed off about 12 inches,

which lined me up at one of the supports.

I put two washer head bolts into the counter top that is right next to the stove. The counter

area was about 4 inches wide and held the splash guard to the stove. I drilled two holes into

the aluminum frame that were a little bigger than the washer head bolts. To secure the bunk

bed to the counter, I just drop the frame with the two holes in it over the two bolts. I then

made a Y shaped pin that I slide into the open end of the aluminum tubing and it slides right

under the washer head bolt and secures it down so that one cannot lift up the bunk without

pulling the pin. I made the pin from a electric ceiling light bar (was about 4 inches long,

about 3/4 inch wide, and had a hollow slot in the middle, I just openned up the end with a

hack saw and that gave me my Y shaped pin that allow me to stick it under the bolt.

The other support is just the frame of the truck that the cab bed lays on. The bunk sits

about 6 inches on it and when I put the counter pin in, nothings moves. The bunk bed

worked out to be 26 inches wide and 75 inches long. I put a 4 inch thick memory foam

matress on it.

When I am not using the bunk bed, I just slide it over to the bed over the cab of the truck,

which is the way it worked in the 68 camper. I will modify the splash guard to slide under

the two bolts, so it will be back in place when the bunk bed is not being used.

Here are some pictures...

post-412-1214620051_thumb.jpg post-412-1214620061_thumb.jpg post-412-1214620070_thumb.jpg

post-412-1214620086_thumb.jpg post-412-1214620093_thumb.jpg post-412-1214620122_thumb.jpg

post-412-1214620130_thumb.jpg post-412-1214620135_thumb.jpg

post-412-1214620142_thumb.jpg

Thanks!...

The floor was a Lowe's $3 special. Last summer I was in Lowes and they had

three open / damaged packages of flooring on the clearance table for $5 a box

(normally $30 a box). I grabbed all three boxes. While trying to pay for the

three boxes, the register kept on ringing up $3, after about 10 minutes of trying

to get the right price to display, the girl stated just give me $3 and have a nice day.

The flooring is about 1/4 inch thick, snaps together, and is made to go over carpet.

So I cleaned the carpet, did some measuring, did some cutting, and snapped the

pieces in one at a time. Just put in a carpet header (metal strip) at the cab area

and by the side door. Super easy to clean (just a broom or a wet towel).

I did have to put rubber caps on one of the barrel chairs, it would slide down the

hall.

Dennis...