Never had one of these before. How do I get the rear brake drums off so I can inspect the brakes on a one ton floating axle? Could not find any info in Chilton-type books. Appears that I have to pull the axle but don't know for sure. Thanks. gj :unsure:

gj,

I did find the procedure in a Chilton Manual, look for section on C&C, it's well hidden. I'll try to give you the basics as I remember how I did mine. Someone else (an expert mechanic) will probably be on here to give better directions:

1) Block it and jack it.

2) Remove the wheels.

3) Remove the six small bolts on the center "can".

4) Now for the hardest part, remove the six cone washers from where the small bolts came. There is probably an easy way to do this but I couldn't find it.

5) Slide your axle out. You will need a new paper gasket on reassembly.

6) Screw out the slotted nut/ring (?) from inside the can. This holds the outer bearing in.

7) Remove the nut, washer and bearing.

8) Pull the brake drum off, it's very heavy.

I think I remembered the basic steps I just simplified it a lot. You also have to sprinkle in a lot of grunts and groans and don't forget all of the "gosh durns", there'll be lot of them.

Good Luck,

Allen

Thanks for the info. motoyhomme, As far as the rear bearings are concerned...Do they get greased or does the differential oil lubricate them? Thanks again

They get greased.The cone washers come off a lot easier if you use a chisel sharpened on one side and GENTLY tap on the sides of the cone with a small hammer. Do not whale on 'em mightily. Use wd-40 also.

Never had one of these before. How do I get the rear brake drums off so I can inspect the brakes on a one ton floating axle?

There is an inspection hole on the backing plate that is covered with a rubber plug.

http://www.toymike.com/misc/brakeShoeInspectionHole.gif

No need to take anything off except the rubber plug.

Regarding removing the cone washers, I have had some luck by placing a socket over the

cone washer and lightly tapping the socket a few times with a hammer. On about half of

my cone washers will fall out on the frist hit, others I have to try a half dozen times.

I believe what this does is it removes some of the pressure on the cone washer.

Also, you may want to replace the two oil seals on the brake drum while you are at it,

especially if they are original, there is a good chance that by you removing the axle it

will damage an old seal. One can find the two seals at an Advance Auto Parts store,

they cost about $3 each.

If you find any oil in your brake drum, you have a leaking seal.

Dennis...

And if you take off the brake drum, be sure to peel back the rubber seals on the wheel cylinder. I checked mine out and was greeted by black ahhh.. ah heck, snot packed in 'em. Shows ya what happens to brake fluid in 20 years

Thanks for all the great info; Especially the inspection port part. will save a bit of time and some brain cells. Will store away the rest for later. gj

:ThumbUp: