Blackwater tank leak

jayemright

Just trying out my "new" 85 Sunrader and found out the blackwater tank is leaking right at the point where the pipe leaves the tank for the drain pipe. Looks like it had been patched with black plastic cement. Any suggestions on how to repair this?

Thanks

James

Hey Jay,

Don't spend too much time on this reply. Just spent most of the day trying to whip my turns-out '86 micro- mini into shape. Now I'm celebrating a good day w/ a little something. I discovered a major leak in my black water tank while replacing my carpet w/ laminate flooring. Caught **** trying to pull the toilet flange up. Major leak to black water tank that had been patched w/ tape. Home Depot and I'm sure Lowe's carries a fiberglass repair kit that w/ do a good job @ patching hole. Just make sure you grind paint off w/ wire wheel, prime it, patch it w/ kit, and repaint it w/ Rustoleum flat black spray paint. Another note: Found I had many bolt holes where exhaust manifold meets intake manifold that had helicoils that would not allow me to torque down bolts to 33 ft/lds. Just tap them out w/ standard fine thread thread tap and insert standard fine thread bolts w/ lock-tight. Works great and bolts are a lot easier to find (NAPA.) Be cool and God Luck. Let us Know how it turns out.

Thanks very much. I will start working from the outside. One thing that occurred to me after I posted this , is that Where this leak is at a low point in the tank, if I poured some fiberglass resin with the hardner mixed in after drying out the tank that it would, in theory, fill the leaks and harden? Am I nuts for thinking that? Anyway, I'm going to try your way first.

I'll let you know how it turns out!! and good luck with your repairs!

All the Best,

James

Is Your tank fiberglass? Mine is plastic, fiberglass wouldn't be ideal to patch a plastic tank. My tank leaks at the same point as yours, but mine is do to the drain pipe not sealing around the tank it self, don't know the "right" way to seal it?

Thanks for the reply. I pressure washed it last night so I can get a better (and cleaner) look at what is going on. I think the tank is plastic as well. Perhaps re-do the black plastic cement with some fiberglass mesh to hold it in place? I wonder if some liquid epoxy poured down the toilet would seal that?

Thanks again for your input

James