FILON REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT

DRG567

I HAVE 91 DOLPHIN DAMAGE TO FILON ANY HELP WOULD BE APP TY

EXTERIOR SIDING

I HAVE 91 DOLPHIN DAMAGE TO FILON ANY HELP WOULD BE APP TY

This place has Filon http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalog/di...product_id=1879

A 20ft roll is a bit more than $500 which I think is pretty reasonable (it is 102" wide). They also have the special glue. Normal procedure is to replace the entire side in one piece, but you may be able to patch it. In the aircraft business the damaged area is "feathered" (sanded out so that the width of the transition area is at least 2" wide) and then the composite is built back up layer by layer. (using reinforcement cloth and epoxy).

I think your bigger problem may be damage to the structure underneath.

Consumers don't like sheet metal with flat surfaces because it is so easy to dent and also so easy to see the dent. It is very hard to put a dent into Filon because it tends to bounce back. It is also pre-finished, so the RV builder has one less finishing operation. For U-haul type applications a roofing variant is also made that is translucent to let light into the inside of those big moving boxes...

Nice, but not cheap and hard to find at a sensible price if it was not for the RV surplace place. I have heard of prices as high as $50/foot and that quote was several years old. The Glen-L website has plans for RV's and trailers and obtaining Filon was one of the major gripes of a lot of builders.

• 6 months later...