Coach battery question.

dgerst

Hi all,

Just drove my new-to-me 1985 Granville home. I think I'm hit with the Toyota Motorhome bug. 400 miles at 20mpg! Anyway I didn't get a manual for tha coach. The coach battery will charge from the generator or shore power through the 110 to 12v converter. However the engine alternator does not charge the coach battery. Does anyone know if this is the way the factory built them? I'd like to be able to keep it charged from the engine alternator.

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the crowd,

Sounds like your battery isolator is bad. It is either a mechanical relay type or a solid state device located under the hood. It allows both batteries to be charged by the alternator but keeping them separate in their own circuits. If you have the mechanical type which is prone to go bad replace it with the solid state version which is much more reliable and only costs about $50.

Good Luck,

Allen

Hi,

I just figured that out. I found what looks like a Ford starter solenoid under the hood with a wire going to the coach. 14 volts on one side and 11 volts (low coach battery) on the other with engine running and 14V to the center small terminal. I beat on it with a pliers to no avail. Got an identical replacement (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150205999104&rd=1)

coming on ebay for 20 bucks. I wish I had read your post and ordered a solid state one instead but this should get me by for a while.

Thanks for the quick response and outstanding forum!

Dave

Edited by dgerst