Bicycle Rack

I have a Dahon foldup bicylce and would like to carry it on the ladder of my 22' Odyssey. I would appreciate any help regarding the type of rack available and where to purchase it?

You can always go ebay (like item 160217746559) for about $60....or....

I saw a homemade ladder rack made out of two 3-foot 2x4s, three bolts, and two

bike hooks. The instructions were as follows:

1) bolt the two 2x4 together

2) measure the width of your ladder

3) measure the thickness of your ladder rods

4) using a drill with a hole bit, cut two holes (where the 2x4 meet each other) spaced out

to match the width of your ladder.

5) unbolt the 2 2x4s and then place one on each side of you ladder at the height you want

6) bolt the two 2x4s together

7) screw in the bike hooks at the needed distance

8) put your bike on the bike hooks

9) use rope and/or a rubber strap to secure the bike to the hooks and to the ladder.

Price will be about $10 ($2 for a 6 or 8 foot 2x4, $4 for two bike hooks, and about $2 for

the hardware).

Dennis...

Hey there Jewel,

Another suggestion is this: I was not about to pay the $75+ for a rack that attached to the ladder, SO, I made my own ('cause i'm cheap)!

I went to the local Disabled Vet Thrift Store and purchased a bike rack that fit on a car (on the trunk lid and has straps that steady it to the car) for $15. I then took the top straps off, folded the support bars together and placed it on my ladder. I attatched it with srew-on pipe clamps and put a 1X piece of wood painted to match at the bottom for more support. I then took black electrical tape and covered my clamps so that there would not be any hands or legs getting scratched or cut. I have had three bikes on it and no problems.

This was a simple soulution to an expensive problem - and it works and looks great!

Hope this helps - see my pics. :ThumbUp:

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1207686121_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1207686131_thumb.jpg

I can go even cheaper....:-)

If you have a spare tire mounted on your rear bumper, check to see if the

spare tire bolts to a U-Shaped support bar. If so, measure the width of the

U-Shaped support bar and purchase the following steel water pipe:

1) 2 or 3 foot pipe (tall enough to go from your bumper to a two or so inches above your spare tire

2) a 90 degree connector

3) another 2 or 3 foot pipe (clears spare tire and give you enough room to hang bike on

4) another 90 degree connector

5) a 1 foot pipe.

This will give you a shape like the following to hang your bike on:

..........|

|====|

|

|

I created one of these water pipe racks to put three kids bikes and it works great,

and to move it one just slides the water pipe up and out of the U-shaped support bar.

Dennis....

• 3 weeks later...
Great suggestion!

My tire is mounted on an angle. will your rack still work for mine?

The lug bolts are there and it is mounted to the camper.

Thanks

Pager

Arkansas

Off topic... how did you get your spare tire to mount back there? My undercarriage mount is shot and now my luggage rack is too... tire needs a new home... any suggestions would help :)

Hey there,

Its always been there. Doesn't look like a homemade bracket. Looks stock.

Its bolted on and on the inside inside the bathroom cabinet. I would like to move it to the left side, but, it would go into the shower. Guess it stays right where it is.

Do you want me to take some pics and measurements? you might have something made real easy.

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1209355190_thumb.jpg

well I certainly wont argue. I had my mind on something non-invasive like a mount coming up from the bumper/pootube housing.

Don't go out of your way but if you think about it feel free to tell me how it was done.

Thanks!

James

My Dolphin looks a lot like yours cept I dont have the awning. Very nice :)

Edited by BlingFree