smellville

Charlie

After spending three days camping with my family of four our black water tank was near capacity. No problem when we left for home, but about three quarters of the way home started getting bad septic odors inside. Rolled down all the windows, but was a relief to get home. Saw some effluent driping from bottom of RV on the outside. I emptied the tanks, and there seems to be no lingering odor. Anyone have an idea on what the problem is. What kind of connection is there between the toilet and the tank . could there be a broken seal or pipe that would allow effluent to get betweem the floor and the protective metal on the bottom of the RV when the tank has a high level. Thanks :buttwiggle:

There should be some sort of gasket between the toliet and the tank, however, there might be a couple other reasons for the smell. Did you use any kind of deoderant in the tank to help mask the smell?

Also, does your toliet trap hold water in the bottom of the toliet and does your toliet add a little water after you flush? I noticed on my RV the toliet water runs a little slower than it should and I need to run the water for a couple seconds after flushing in order to get enough water in the bottom of the toliet to create a water seal, which is the best seal odors.

Buftooth: I don't think that is the problem. As I mentioned there seemed to be some effluent dripping from the bottom of the coach from between the floors. Also in the closet where the vent pipe exits, there is a hole between the floors to allow the pipe to go up through the closet and the odor was very strong herem indicating the odor is coming from somewhere below the inside floor. Thanks.

It does sound like you have a leak, but it also sounds like you tank was full to

the top, at least when you were driving (rear end is usually lower plus the fuilds

moving around due to driving).

It sound like your black water tank vent pipe might be leaking where it connects to the

top of the tank, that would explain the fuild. There should be a 1.5 to 3 inch rubber grommet

that seals the vent pipe to the top of the tank.

Example is at: www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/black-water-tank.htm

Dennis..