Hello All.

When I first bought my 22RE 1988 Escaper this spring it had a few "power" issues (despite superb mechanical function and only 59k). While I knew it would never perform like my Vette or 351 Cleveland Mustang, I wanted a bit more power in the hills (okay... even on the flats holding 60 in OD was nearly impossible, and likely not all that beneficial to the tranny). So, I ventured out to do some research. After reading many posts from seasoned experts on multiple sites, I felt headers and a new cam (to compensate for factory off-set timing due to emissions) were in order.

I bought a new set of stainless headers from LC Eng and a cam from them, also. I thought you'd all like to know how much "improvement" they give, since I was looking for that when I first began my quest.

So, after installing the headers (not an easy job with a column AT), new high flow CAT, muffler, and 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back, I can say that the improvement was noticeable. Not stellar, but noticeable. I usually run the RV in third gear on the highway, and the hills in Kentucky last weekend (went to Kentucky from Michigan to see my sister-in-law graduate from Asbury Theological Seminary) were no problem. I held 60-64 the whole time (turned high RPMs at the expense of gasoline -12mpg-but I anticipated that...) with no problems up hills (same speed). This was also with my wife and son along and a light load of camping gear. I estimate 10-15 h.p. more.

I'm planning on putting the cam in in the next few weeks (only need to take off the cover, not the whole head... but care needs to be taken so the cam doesn't slip... if it does, the head needs to come off...). I'll let you know how the cam improves the performance. I wanted to do them sequentially to best deterrmine what each "mod" does.

But, I have to say that I've been impressed with that little 22RE. She can turn high RPMs all day with the 5 main bearings and tough "bottom-end". Also, in case anyone cares to know, the LC Engineering headers are the best I've ever seen. They are pricey ($600 for the headers and cam), but good.

Have fun setting out this spring. I'll check back in after the cam is in... I'm hoping for 10 h.p. more... So far this is the best bang for the buck. I'm not willing to spend much more time or money. If I want more power I'll get a diesel pusher!

DWBMD