with some modification to the area originally designed for a "factory" gen set, i was able to utilize this area to hold my honda eu2000i generator. to make this work required cutting out the steel floor or platform that a factory genset would have been mounted to. then a 26 gauge galvanized "box" was fabricated. the box was inserted into the opening from the bottom up, then attached with self tappers. the metal panel that created a partition to store the shore power cord required cutting out as well to tilt the honda genset into the cavity, because the honda was about an inch wider than the opening, with the partition in place. some steel angle iron was installed to reinforce the installation, i cleaned the inside and applied new paint, caulked where needed. the shore power cord now fits comfortably behind the honda. i now have a very easily accessible storage place to keep the genset. joe from dover

100_1836.JPG

100_1838.JPG

100_1841.JPG

Do you run the Honda while inside your new compartment? Does the Honda run your AC?

Darrel

negative on running the honda while inside. i am sure it would fill the coach with noise and more importantly fumes and that would be a big safety issue.  the honda will run the roof top air, but i have found that if i try to use any other ac device, it will overload the honda.  thanks for asking. joe from dover

• 3 months later...

Nice job. I thought the Honda generator would fit in this compament without modification. It does on my 1990 Itasca; however it did not have a generator installed here before

thanks, nam. not sure about the differences between your 90 Itasca and my 92 warrior ? I do know that my warrior did not have the factory option genset. I have the factory build sheet that details all installed options from factory, as delivered to dealer. maybe Winnebago included the metal "shelf" I had to cut out because it did not have the optional genset?? any ways, it now works well for my needs. joe from dover.

And my buddy Hunkaman came up with the idea of mating 2 milk cartons together to hold my Honda genny on my rear extended bumper. Works perfect. Thanks Joe!

• 7 months later...

Really concerned to find out if the Honda 2000i (which really only outputs 16kw) has enough amperage to start the AC versus just running the fan.  I happen to own two of these with a bridge-kit, but together they are just too large to store anywhere on my unit.  I like the idea of storing one under the chassis, additionally, there are now exhaust/muffler kits for the 2000i that might allow for the unit to be run while in place.  Thoughts/information would be appreciated!

Whether it will run it or not depends. Would help to know the BTU's of your AC unit. Some have gotten them to work well with a hard start capacitor installed on a smaller AC unit. There are only a couple air conditioners that have lower draw now because RV's have gotten so big. This is one of them.

Linda S

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Coleman-12690-BTU-Power-Saver-AC-White.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhoLWBRD9ARIsADIRaxQscKDKsHFqCo5lb3fbq3lOJORblbOzrDOjEuiDnT-FUMQ38TKmylwaAob1EALw_wcB

Hey PLT my Honda 2000i runs my 11K BTU Duo-therm AC unit on my Granville but won’t run my buddy’s 13K BTU unit on his Winnie!

Rather than BTUS it would moreso help to know the make and model of your AC unit.  BTUs can be misleading especially if you have the ultra high efficiency models that use very little electricity. Most however will have the soul sucking 13,000 BTU standard full size overkill units and those units do not like honda or most other <=2k generators much. The secret to getting AC is not in the generator; it lies in the AC unit.

Totem is Correct! He runs his AC with a 2500 watt gennie I believe. I don’t know why they put 13K BTU AC in these little rigs. I’m fortunate that mine is only an 11K unit which is also overkill! 

I wonder if a 7100BTU unit is even available now due to the size of the newer RVs? 

6 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

I wonder if a 7100BTU unit is even available now due to the size of the newer RVs? 

No lowest BTU now is the Coleman Polar Cub mach 8 at 9200 but it draws more amps than the Coleman power saver 11000 btu. Makes no sense but it is very low profile which is nice.

Linda S

http://www.adventurerv.net/coleman-polar-cub-mach-air-conditioner-top-unit-47201876-p-30325.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxK7E3_lqca0VHSzqkuACtinnWqK2K5QkS5zHpjAwmHBYAynuvma7bhoChigQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

But if you live in countries other than the US  there are much better roof air available.  Dometic makes a 1.8 Kw roof air that is about 6,000 btu along with very efficient inverter roof airs. Not only efficient but quite.   I believe they also have a 4000 btu equivalent in Australia. Don't look forward to this tech coming to the US. 

https://www.dometic.com/en-au/au/products/climate/air-conditioners/air-conditioners-for-rvs

My 94 Winnebago has the 7100Btuh air conditioner like what Derek said. A 2000 watt Honda will not run it, keeps on popping the fuse.

Darrel

2 hours ago, darrel said:

My 94 Winnebago has the 7100Btuh air conditioner like what Derek said. A 2000 watt Honda will not run it, keeps on popping the fuse.

Darrel

Unless at  high altitude or Death Valley hot a 2000 watt Honda should run a 7100 btu roof air with no problems.  Does it work well on shore power and only cause issues when running with the genset?  Popping the fuse, which fuse the shore power 30 amp breaker or the AC breaker or do you actually have fuses? 

You should have absolutely no problem running your 7100 BTU AC with the Honda. Do you have it in fan mode first (low) then switch to cold? The cold setting should be low then gradually increase until the compressor kicks in. No other appliances should be running @ the same time! Do you mean the Honda’s fuse needs resetting?

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:38 AM, hunkaman said:

with some modification to the area originally designed for a "factory" gen set, i was able to utilize this area to hold my honda eu2000i generator. to make this work required cutting out the steel floor or platform that a factory genset would have been mounted to. then a 26 gauge galvanized "box" was fabricated. the box was inserted into the opening from the bottom up, then attached with self tappers. the metal panel that created a partition to store the shore power cord required cutting out as well to tilt the honda genset into the cavity, because the honda was about an inch wider than the opening, with the partition in place. some steel angle iron was installed to reinforce the installation, i cleaned the inside and applied new paint, caulked where needed. the shore power cord now fits comfortably behind the honda. i now have a very easily accessible storage place to keep the genset. joe from dover

100_1836.JPG

100_1838.JPG

100_1841.JPG

Nice work!  Looking to do something similar.  What did you use to plug the fuel line from the fuel tank?

It's on the edge, yeah 2000  it will run it but not much more. Usually the AC circuit is on a 20 amp breaker. So the RV should have a 30 main, 20 AC  and 15 amp for outlets. So if you have just a 15 amp and no 20 it will most likely trip.