E-brake cable snapped and the RV rolled

K7fBsyS.pngBipddtP.jpgwty1ktL.png

I set the ebrake and ran out to get something, didn't put it in gear because it would only take a moment... In less than 20 seconds it had snapped and rolled.

So, uhh... at least I found the replacement tail light pretty quick. I thought - what would the previous owner have looked for when buying it? The cheapest piece of chinese crap that money can buy! And yup, there it is!

I guess I'm going to have to get the bumper welded back on though..

Edited by 256bit

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

What a drag. Especially for the dented Beemer. Might be a good thing to check the rest of the frame on the Sunrader carefully. Lots of rust there.

Linda S

The whole frame is pretty rusted, but the rest of the frame isn't really spotty (I think that's the "rotted" look) like it is in the rear by the bumper. I took it to a body shop that does rust repair and the guy said it looked pretty average for it's age, and when asked if it was unsafe he said "I don't see it." I guess it's still kind of naive of me to trust him based on the fact that he was actively trying to not sell me something.

What should I check for? I know the whole, 'if you can punch a hole through it with a hammer' thing, but I'd rather not try that, because the frame is still intact after the 1,400 mile trip here ;-;

Edited by 256bit

I turned down a crazy good deal on the V6 Sunrader because I could stick my car keys right into the shock mounts. I would check everywhere on the frame where it supports important stuff. Axle, shocks that kind of stuff. I bet my Sunrader could roll into your Beemer and only the Beemer would be damaged. Bumper would have stopped any camper damage completely on a slow roll.

Linda S

42 minutes ago, linda s said:

I turned down a crazy good deal on the V6 Sunrader because I could stick my car keys right into the shock mounts. I would check everywhere on the frame where it supports important stuff. Axle, shocks that kind of stuff. I bet my Sunrader could roll into your Beemer and only the Beemer would be damaged. Bumper would have stopped any camper damage completely on a slow roll.

Linda S

Well that got me good and paranoid, so to the chagrin of my quasi-neighbors I went out there and started filing away, and smashing my wrench against stuff. I smashed my wrench against the leaf spring mounts, suspension components, and each section of the frame/subframe, with no breakage.

Near the rear, where the bumper caved in, I could file and file and file, too much rust, I was just smooshing rust into rust with no hope of actually reaching anything.

Near the front, I was able to file down to bare metal (I think?! ...I hope) in less than a quarter of a millimeter:

NcmPJ4j.jpg

The pictures kind of crappy, but what I was hitting was a glimmering black patch. I hope that's the metal and not some kind of advanced cancer rust.

It was in northeast Arkansas and Texas for most of it's life, for what it's worth.

Edited by 256bit