'87 Toyota Escaper... to buy or not to buy?

Swans_song

Hello! I am looking at a 1987 Toyota Escaper with 77k on the engine. We're supposed to drive over to it today... 3 hours away.. and boy I wish I had found this site earlier! Anyways, I guess I am just looking for any advice I can get. I have never owned a camper or RV but have recently become obsessed with the Toyota mini motorhomes late 80's early 90's. My boyfriend grew up working on engines. American motors mostly, but we both currently drive Toyotas and drank the koolaid. He has a 99 Tacoma and very familiar with the motor at this point. 

Here's what I know.

CRAIGSLIST AD

"1987 Toyota Escaper
22 RE engine
Runs and Drives
Re-roofed with urethane in early 2016
Tinted windows for UV shielding and heat control
She has overdrive and cruise "

Communications with owner

"Former leak has been re-sealed NOT re-roofed with urethane based roofing sealer.  , tires in fair condition, minor rust, timing chain, water pump replaced at 66k, original onan generator works fine."

We pulled the carfax report and found all major repairs were made, and that it has had mANy owners... about 10 I believe. There was a mileage discrepancy but I spoke with the dealer it was reported through and they admitted to human error. Otherwise, no red flags. 

Any advice out there for a total RV newbie?

Thanks! Lauren

00000_3ZrCU3FtZdc_600x450.jpg

00l0l_u4Adkl6HzV_600x450.jpg

+ for Escaper aluminum frame.

- are the same for old toys

Its not the brand but the P/Os and the upkeep that matter.

Thanks for your comment. I really like the layout of the rig and what I've been reading about the motors. I'm concerned about the leak, and storing in the winter. We live in the mountains of Colorado and though this winter was pretty mild, we usually get some wet storms in early spring. Am I right to be concerned? Are there known issues to look for when we go see it this evening? They have the rig listed at $4500 with a known leak and tires that will likely need to be replaced soon. Thoughts on negotiating and value?

We live in Maine and keep our Toy house parked outside through the winter.  I built a lightweight frame out of wood and lattice work (created a dome) and covered it all with a tarp.  Anytime it snows I pull out the roof rake and pull the snow off.  I want to be sure the roof stays dry, that no water sneaks in, freezes, and breaks anything.  Plus I don't want to worry about the weight of several feet of snow, particularly if it's wet.  It stays off the roads all winter long - way too much salt for an old Japanese vehicle, not to mention all the motorhome bits!!

$4500 seems high IMO based on the photo you included - looks like a lot of unfinished work in there...  But if everything else works then perhaps it's an OK price. It is a nice layout. And it's easy to excited about these vehicles isn't it!!

IF we end up buying this one - or the one we finally do purchase - we'll be driving it to Maine this summer/ fall. Boyfriend is from just north of Portland. I like the dome idea but not sure if we'd be able to pull that off where we currently live. I guess i could look into storing it down near Denver where the weather is much more mild. A

Yes. I'm a little concerned at why there is no mattress in the upper level. I'm guessing that is where the leak originated, which is probably pretty common. Is it difficult to find the mattress for the upper bed? We're thinking about offering something closer to $3.5k depending on what it looks like when we get there. It obviously needs work and we would rather spend the money improving. So easy to get excited about these vehicles! I hope we can find one and start making it our own soon. Thanks for your advice!

I would ignore, as much as possible the entire living quarters when you walk up. Forget it. You want a solid vehicle to carry the weight and LAST for a while. Before it is even started I would check the oil and water levels, put your eyes on it. Look at the common engine stuff, belts, hoses etc. Test drive the vehicle at least 20-30 minutes. Make lots of stops and reverses etc. Longer if possible to see if it is going to overheat. An hour would be way cool. Finally take her home and park it. Let it cool a bit while your dreaming over the inside of the living area. Then pop the hood and check the fluids again. Get down under the truck and look for leaks, especially one that are really recent, like the last hour.

If you get thru all that and it performs good and all else is good then dig into the body. Those issues are as big or small as you want to own. No one can help you there.

Good luck and best wishes.    :)

welcome, from another koolaid consumer. i share your enthusiasm. i am still fairly new, had my warrior about two years. it is a plus that your boyfriend has mechanical skill sets. from what i have learned, these are all going to require some level of repair, maintenance or updates. so the purchase price is just the beginning.  having that said: you will find help with any issues here, and the more seasoned owners have many suggestions to help you save some $$. good luck. joe from dover.

Don't ignore the coach! As Linda stated repairs can cost mucho dinero! A new refrigerator, alone, can cost around a grand. Look over this forum to find how extensive coach repairs are for leaks and water damage....scary stuff! I agree with Red about checking for leaks, etc. New tires are a must. The tires on my rig looked great but when I got her home I found out they were made in 1998! As a storage option many County fair sites offer inside storage for the winter in their barns. That's where Grannie is now. Don't jump on the first  rig you see. Be patient but I know that's not easy. Good Luck and have Fun!

Thanks for all the great advice here! We drove 3 hours to check it out, took one step inside and realized that unfortunately the seller misrepresented the rig. This poor escaper had been the victim of some SERIOUS water damage... my bf referred to it as a "flood victim". From the moment we stepped inside (onto the plywood base) we were disappointed to find a VERY soft, rotted floor and a strong mold smell. Although we are prepared to make our toy our own with customizations and upgrades, a total rehab is not in the books for us. I did take it for a quick test drive since I've never driven one and we did drive all the way there, and that went well. BF did point out some mechanical things that would need to be replaced soon, and the overdrive switch was stuck off. That also wont work for us since we live at 10,000 feet elevation and we have to go over a mountain pass in every direction to leave the valley. Although the original onan generator did start right up, there was the faint smell of something funky... what Ryan says is probably carbon monoxide... in the cab once it was on. 

So what did we learn today? We may need a V6 for where we live. We also aren't interested in gutting the coach or a total rehab project, so something that is slightly turn-key with of course on-going customizations and upgrades. AVOID MOLD and rotted anything. :) 

I don't see many of these pop up for sale where we live, but we're watching craigslist diligently! Any suggestions on which models to focus on for the V6? I believe it's the early 90's dolphins but can't seem to find anywhere to confirm that. 

We've taken our 4 cylinder 22RE over some steep passes in New England - it went slow but very steady.  At elevation it would certainly be weaker, but many folks on this forum pass through the rockies with the 22 type motors without getting stranded.  The best thing you could find would be a manual transmission, regardless of the motor I am sure they would operate much more efficiently.  We settled for the auto trans because we found a screaming deal we could not pass.  

Coincidentally as you are traveling to Maine this summer we will be traveling to Colorado!  Maybe we will cross paths along the road :)

a concern for the v-6 equipped models (there are many) is the head gasket. toyota offered to replace them at no cost but there seems to be a difference of opinions as to the current status of the program. i found that my 92 warrior had the head gasket replacement by calling toyota USA, and providing my VIN. the person i talked with confirmed the work was done and at what location. in my case it was a dealership in New York state. good luck with your search. joe from dover.

Be prepared to kiss a lot of toads before you find your prince

i drove 8 hours one way, to look at a craigs list prospect, only to find the photos with the ad were from the "good side" needless to say the conversation (before driving to north carolina) i had with the owner were less than honest on his part.  drove back home the same day. two days after that disaster, found my winnie 25 minutes from my home ! go figure ! i only had to kiss one toad. joe from dover.