Giving up. Dolphin soon for sale.

whyverne14

Well I miss you guys but I think it's time to move on. I love my little Toy but I think It's time to get something that needs less work. I love it so much that I'm having someone put a new engine in it before I put it up for sale. I don't want it to go to the boneyard.

So if anybody is interested; 1986 Dolphin, rear dinette, less than 80000 miles. (I guess that 22re isn't really bulletproof, someone before me really messed it up.) Not rusted out, coach A/C long gone. Fridge long gone but I bought a new Dometic 12v portable real compressor fridge for it. Works fine. Generator long gone, I was happy using a portable solar panel. New TPS, exhaust, fuel pump, alternator, shocks, lay down propane tank, LED rear brake lights and many other new parts. Tires are good. Fairly new Yoko Ds on the rear. Air bags long gone. Ladder long gone, I have a telescoping one that's cool but kind of heavy. Stove, oven, furnace, water heater, pump, lights, sinks, shower all work.

My next projects were going to be; new escape hatch cover, new rear vent (there's a Maxx air cover on it, I just leave it open), bathroom vent is newer with fan. The main project is the wood is rotten around the bottom especially around the rear wheel wells. Rear side window is loose and needs taken out and reattached. Not hard but probably tedious. Ah I'm just getting too old. Any other rot I don't know about. I've spread a lot of sealer on the roof. Unit is inside for the winter. My son goes about 250 and he sleeps in the overhead and it hasn't collapsed yet. Can't be too bad.

So I plan on having it running, inspected and ready to use. Work on it when your not using it, like I did.  Don't gut it. Do a little piece at a time, so you can keep using it. Hopefully someone will get it done someday. The next generation.

We hate to see anyone leave and we will miss you.  Please tell the next owner about the site so that we can get to know someone new.  I hope that you find what you want for your next project.

• 1 month later...

"Can I change my mind?" I may be slipping back. Holey Moley, motorhomes are expensive! Not that I think that $50000 for a brand new E450 with a tiny house on it is unreasonable, that seems fair to me. It's just that someone is putting a brandy new engine in my Toyota Dolphin for $2500. Cripes I could do that every year for 20 years for that kind of  money. I think what I need to do is to find someone to do the wood and tin work. I don't want to do it myself, I'm supposed to be retired. Now I'm leaning towards full timing this summer in the old beast, heading down south for the eclipse and then deciding what I'm going to do when I grow up. "I would like to start all over again."

1 hour ago, whyverne14 said:

"Can I change my mind?" I may be slipping back. Holey Moley, motorhomes are expensive! Not that I think that $50000 for a brand new E450 with a tiny house on it is unreasonable, that seems fair to me. It's just that someone is putting a brandy new engine in my Toyota Dolphin for $2500. Cripes I could do that every year for 20 years for that kind of  money. I think what I need to do is to find someone to do the wood and tin work. I don't want to do it myself, I'm supposed to be retired. Now I'm leaning towards full timing this summer in the old beast, heading down south for the eclipse and then deciding what I'm going to do when I grow up. "I would like to start all over again."

Sticker shock!   The average cost of a new class C is $98k,  lets say $100k to keep it simple, first 2 year depreciation is average 25% that is an average of $25,000.  The depreciation is gone, never to return, flushed down the toilet, no way to recover TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

So no matter how much I spend on my toy I should never get to the average 2 year depreciation of a new one and I will be able to recover a large part of it if I sell.   So then someone says yes but you are crawling around under yours while people with new ones are enjoying theirs. Go to an RV service place and listen to people with brand new RV's yyyy, myth busted!

Plus the insurance will be at least triple.

This is the thoughts I use to stay in the delusion that keeping the toy is a smart move, works for me :lol:

Well even the used ones. I don't see anything under $35K that probably won't need work soon. Unless you find that one old guy everybody is always talking about. You know the guy who's going to sell it to you for half price cause you're there and you have the cash. Yeah get me a unicorn while you're there.

People tell me "Go to Florida, RVs are cheap there". Right, I go on Florida Craigslist and guess what? They ain't cheap down there. Yeah, I'm sure there's a super deal somewhere and if I find it, I'll jump on it. But that's not a plan. My plan is to continue working on the old Toy.

12 hours ago, whyverne14 said:

Well even the used ones. I don't see anything under $35K that probably won't need work soon. Unless you find that one old guy everybody is always talking about. You know the guy who's going to sell it to you for half price cause you're there and you have the cash. Yeah get me a unicorn while you're there.

People tell me "Go to Florida, RVs are cheap there". Right, I go on Florida Craigslist and guess what? They ain't cheap down there. Yeah, I'm sure there's a super deal somewhere and if I find it, I'll jump on it. But that's not a plan. My plan is to continue working on the old Toy.

RV's in FL are cheap, that's a myth! Possibly the most expensive place in the country to buy one!

The newer RV's especially the diesels are going to be horrendously expensive to repair. Very reliable and have few issues, but I would not own one that is out of warranty!

This is of course only my view and opinion. 

On 4/13/2017 at 10:42 AM, jjrbus said:

RV's in FL are cheap, that's a myth! Possibly the most expensive place in the country to buy one!

I tell people we got this new thing called the internet, you can look at Craigslist in Florida and see that RVs are NOT cheaper there. Another one I hear is, don't buy a MH from the Rust Belt. I live in the Rust Belt, we know about rust; and most of us are smart enough not to drive our motorhomes around in the salty snow.