Intex Mariner 4 the toyhome of watercraft

So, I decided I wanted to do a trip and be able to boat but camp in the rocket (my sunrader).

I researched around for a boat large enough to do really cool things but not need a trailer - this brought me to inflatables and folding canoes and boats. I have seen here in michigan a guy that rides around in a toy home with a folding canoe thats strapped to the side of his rig; looked cool and fun. but they only seem to accommodate 2 people and if they capsize? nope two daughters with me I cant go there.

So i started seeing this boat by Intex... the Mariner 4.

It had several features and met all my needs which were:

• Needs to be capable of comfortably running 2 adults and 2 kids around (so largish)
  • Needs to be tough enough to not kill us
  • class 1-3 rapids doable*
  • Fishing friendly
  • small enough to fit in HF cargo Carrier on back of toyhome
  • easy setup and take down
  • capable of running an outboard
  • cheap
  • No need for trailer and relatively light weight
  • hard to find/obtain in Canada so that Derek can grumble

This boat I soon learned has an arguably larger following than toyota motorhomes...lol

On the boating forum there were so many people using these things for various reasons building custom floor hulls, putting on sailing kits (yes it has optional 55F sailing kit how cool! ($569 at 40 lbs). building them out for fishing or with small outboards as runabouts and dinghies.

Naturally I set about reading the forum on this boat and I was convinced. I took the $200 plunge.

When it arrived and I weighed it stock it tipped the scales at 76 lbs, just boat and its included awkward extruded roll out plank floor. Its kinda bulky so I set about to fix that or improve it. I ordered a custom 4 x 10 1/2 piece of fir plywood from menards and set about making a solid single board "surfboard" floor for it; something most people or I should say no other person I have seen do yet in the forums. (most just made 2 or 3 piece floors that would allow a taco situation).

*To me it should make class-1-3 rapids much safer from Taco effect or folding over of the boat on a rapid.

I also scored a nice chinese 4 stroke california carb compliant micro outboard that only weighs 26 lbs and is air cooled (so no having to change impellers etc) The motor clamps nicely on the ladder of the RV.

When I think of all the times I have camped near lakes or water and didn't have a boat I get goosebumps.. this years trip... coosa river fest in alabama ....Class 1-3 rapids and sometimes alligators have been seen. Should make for one heck of a run. Pictures to come.

Edited by Totem

Yup inflatables are definitely the way to go with a camper. Mine fits nicely on I think the same Harbor Freight rack that you have and motor goes on a motor mount I made out of a bumper mount bike rack. Really adds to the relaxation and fun of a vacation tooling around on a lake and I fish so it's kind of a must. My boat is a Nordik 300 air deck and my motor is a 2 stroke water cooled Nissan. I had an air cooled at first but the noise got to me. Water cooled is way quieter

I also have a ultra light, 34 lbs, boat that unfolds. It's pretty weird. I call it my origami boat.

The Assembled Size...

Tuck Tech: Tote 'n Boat folding canoe. Tuck Tech: Tote 'n Boat folding canoe canada. Tuck Tech: Tote 'n Boat folding canoe.When Assembled, the TOTE 'N BOAT has a capacity of 450 pounds. It's almost 10' feet long and 36" inches wide at center. It's just as Rigid & Solid as a standard plastic canoe, and so durable that it will not crack, dent, split, or puncture. Even against the sharpest rocks!

ALMOST 10' long - 36" wide - 12" deep
It's SOLID... not "flimsy"

Light enough to back pack to high mountain lakes where I am still searching for the elusive California Golden trout

Linda S

I saw that one, along with the porta bote and a plethora of other origami boats.

While many could have worked, the porta bote was my runner up but i pictured fast water or attempting to have kids jumping around on it and decided inflatable would be the way for me.

My inflatable is definitely the one I use most of the time. Roomier and very comfortable to spend the day in. Going to get a Bimini top for it and maybe put solar panels up there and get an electric motor.

Linda S

I too thought of going trolling motor with some panels over the two bow bimini i scored for 40 bucks. in the end I instead opted for the 26 lbs. 4 stroke 4 hp; because it didnt require 75 lbs of battery and neurotic solar panels while i should really be fishing.

There was also the calculus of a 55 lbs thrust trolling motor only equaling out to be 1/3 HP and the 4 HP outboard can move 4 people much faster.

• 1 month later...

for all the reasons stated, i too began thinking of a boat. camping near water and being able to take full advantage seems like a win-win. i have been searching CL for a deal. i would prefer a boat that can carry two adults and some gear comfortably. the solid floor in the inflatables appears to be a no brainer. thanks for sharing your info. joe from dover

I just took my family out in the gulf of mexico in a mariner 4 with the 4 hp on the most calm day that we hot in a week (10 mph wind max). We stayed inside barrier island intercoastal and the boat performance was excellent. I did modify mine with custom wooden one piece floor of half inch ply which made it standable in could actually walk in it. I used electric scooter and a Burley kid cruiser bike tow along as a makeshift rickshaw to put the boat on. Hung motor inside the burley on the roll cage bar worked execellent and even had people ask if i " sold them" lol

6 hours ago, Totem said:

I just took my family out in the gulf of mexico in a mariner 4 with the 4 hp on the most calm day that we hot in a week (10 mph wind max). We stayed inside barrier island intercoastal and the boat performance was excellent. I did modify mine with custom wooden one piece floor of half inch ply which made it standable in could actually walk in it. I used electric scooter and a Burley kid cruiser bike tow along as a makeshift rickshaw to put the boat on. Hung motor inside the burley on the roll cage bar worked execellent and even had people ask if i " sold them" lol

Need pics!:D

i have seen a few that interest me on CL.  last fall it seemed there were many that were really great deals, (end of season ?), i will keep looking til i find one. do you know what a "boston" valve is ? joe from dover

I did take a couple pics of us out on the boat in the gulf.. but I am not into posting my family faces online just yet. wouldn't want to disturb anyone by humanizing myself to that level.

The Mariner 4 (2017 model year) has all boston valves except one, the inflatable Keel was a regular large plug.

The boat itself allowed us to putz around dauphin island and had we stayed one more day probably further; the storms and winds were rediculous and of course as we were leaving the intercoastal looked like glass calm.

GRRRRRRRR.

I can post some pics of the boat, my floor and motor if anyone wants to see them.