I have a '85 Sunrader Classic 18' rv. The engine has 129,000 miles. The valves and seals have been replace 2 years ago. It is burning a lot of oil -- a quart every 400-500 miles. The bottom of the engine probably needs to be replaced -- rings, etc.  Another option is to replace the engine with a remanufactured engine. Anyone have any experience with rebuilding or replacing the engine? Being told that the 22re is too small to hold the weight load of the rv.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, TravelArt said:

I have a '85 Sunrader Classic 18' rv. The engine has 129,000 miles. The valves and seals have been replace 2 years ago. It is burning a lot of oil -- a quart every 400-500 miles. The bottom of the engine probably needs to be replaced -- rings, etc.  Another option is to replace the engine with a remanufactured engine. Anyone have any experience with rebuilding or replacing the engine? Being told that the 22re is too small to hold the weight load of the rv.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Well it's been doing it for 129K! The  engines where pretty famous for front crank seal leaks and they were pretty hard to see just looking under the hood you might check that first.

Doing a valve job on an engine often causes it to burn oil, I'd at the lease have the rings replaced and as long as you have it apart may as well replace main and rod bearings and oil pump.

With reasonable care the old 22R's would last 200/300K while the 22RE's would probably need a chain at 150K. Check the easy stuff first.

Edited by Maineah