In-dash GPS with radio/dvd/cd

possibly may install a gps with radio, dvd, and cd player. the unit i am researching is  a  POWER ACOUSTIK model PDN-726B. this unit supposedly will fit the dash of my 92 winnie. very positive reviews, and has way more tech features than i will probably use. the price seems very reasonable. it will support a rear view camera which is bundled with for $215.00. has a pop up 7 inch touch screen. anyone out there have this or a similar unit ?  i have never had a gps in a vehicle, are they worth the cost ? would this be something i would find beneficial and valuable enough to install one ? any comments, info, or suggestions would be welcome . thanks.  joe from dover.

Wayyyyyy too complicated for my tastes.  Plus if one part fails likely have to replace the whole thing. In a year if the remote camera goes it is unlike that they will be available and nothing else will be compatible.

I like GPS, however find them useless for trip planning, will never take what I consider the most efficient route and often the worst route, but invaluable for some things such as reminding me to turn : ) Also great for showing the right lane to be in on busy interstates or gas stations, restaurants and such.

I used Streets and Trips with GPS antenna and laptop and found that the best of all worlds.  Also could plan a route and on Streets and Trips and load onto a Garmin GPS,  but Microsoft has stopped supporting Streets and Trips, so I am back to wandering around hoping for the best.  

I agree! I would not buy a combo unit. Too many things to fail. Why would you want a DVD player mounted in the dash? I'm a believer in a portable GPS unit as you can use it in different cars. I think they are invaluable but I'm a tech guy! BTW Derek, my Garmin functions fine in my Toy. Also, if your going to all that trouble maybe look into a unit that has an HD radio... Amazing sound quality (CD quality) and receives many different HD channels than a regular radio. Just me, I'm an audio fanatic! I'm also researching backup cameras Joe and it seems you get what you pay for as far as quality, signal strength and monitor picture! I'd keep looking. Mark

Only use GPS on my Droid. If you do decide to purchase the receiver with GPS research what maps they use. Then google reviews for that mapping software. On my phone I use both Sygic LINK and google maps. Sygic though did a change that is annoying. It used to display distance to rest stops and no longer does. If I have it turned off some how I can not find the switch.

So what is important for me is Bluetooth connect to the stereo. My phone is mounted at eye level, my world interface right there. What would be cool is voice control over the whole system. Presently I have to manually select modes cd, dvd, Bluetooth audio (stream music from phone) etc. I primarily listen to cached music from Radio Paradise  LINK. They have no commercials and you can cache several 12 hour blocks of music on your phone and not use your data. Bluetooth connect is 1st on my list, in dash GPS last. Here is another reason. At looking at in dash GPS systems I have concerns about map updates and accuracy. Non are perfect though.

My Garmin has lifetime free map updates. Good questions about dash mounted combo units. Map updates are important as is the ability of the unit to connect to the satellites and what software they are using for the GPS.

thanks to all for input and advice. when planning trips i DO NOT wish to travel upon the interstates as much as possible, so i was wondering if all or most GPS devices can route, display, U.S. highways and state routes ??  any help with this concern is appreciated.  joe from dover

Joe, certain units have settings to avoid Interstate highways thus taking you the scenic route, not the fastest route. They can also display where to buy gas, hotels, recreation, hospitals, repair facilities, road repairs, etc. Very useful! I enjoy maps also but I find a GPS unit to be indispensable. Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I would get an Iphone plus size and a fancy super nice grip suction cup mount to hold it.

• bigger screen
  • doubles as your tablet
  • goes with you so no temptation for theives
  • download WAZE app for free; vastly superior to GPS and google maps, is like GPS on steroids including telling you about real time accidents re-routing for traffic jams etc
  • also can serve as camera when needed to record trip footage
  • can make calls

• 1 year later...

Just got an 84 Rader and am researching options for updating the stereo. I have heard from another group that the scion stereos are comparable with the 84 - 95  Toy trucks... Any thoughts? A backup camera would be fantastic for my wife:)

• 3 weeks later...