Buying an AS IS RV tomorrow – what problems do I look for?

gr8white

I know this is a Toyota forum but when I had my Toyota it was the most helpful RV forum on the net.  I am going with my uncle to pick up an RV that he bought (tomorrow morning).  It is a 2014 Forest River Wildwood 28 ft pull behind with 1 slide and power stabilizers.  The dealer assures us that everything will be in working order.  But when we take it off of the lot there is no warranty.  I have a lot of experience with RV’s so I am going with him to be sure that he doesn’t buy a lemon.  Does anyone have advice on what to look for,  and/or a checklist that I can use to assure that I don’t miss anything?  Also, is there a way to check the refrigerator to make sure it isn’t at the end of its lifespan?  Thank you in advance for your help!

Hey guy good to hear from you. First the same as a toyhome, check all the walls and roof for water damage. Ask that the fridge be cold when you get there. Check the rear coils on it and make sure they look clean with no corrosion and listen for gurgling. That means air has gotten into the system and some ammonia has leaked. They will still get cold for a while but not for long. Check upholstery for wear and smells. Kids peeing or drunks spilling beer is not what you want so get your nose right in there. Febreeze can only hide so much.

Check date code on tires. Should be original ones still but I have heard of dealers switching out tires to get rid of old ones.

Good luck and stay in touch. You will always be welcome here no matter what your driving

Linda S

46 minutes ago, linda s said:

Hey guy good to hear from you. First the same as a toyhome, check all the walls and roof for water damage. Ask that the fridge be cold when you get there. Check the rear coils on it and make sure they look clean with no corrosion and listen for gurgling. That means air has gotten into the system and some ammonia has leaked. They will still get cold for a while but not for long. Check upholstery for wear and smells. Kids peeing or drunks spilling beer is not what you want so get your nose right in there. Febreeze can only hide so much.

Check date code on tires. Should be original ones still but I have heard of dealers switching out tires to get rid of old ones.

Good luck and stay in touch. You will always be welcome here no matter what your driving

Linda S

aww,  thank you so much Linda and Im so glad to hear from you.  I am still in that lawsuit with my toyota.  he claims that there was an electrical problem. 

Yeah it's called an arch welder.

A short in a 12 volt system is not likely to cause the kind of spontaneous combustion your camper had. If it was we would see cars all over the place just suddenly burning up. All have 12 volt systems. Parking lot fires would be common events.

Linda S

I'm like a million years old and I have never seen a car fire that wasn't related to engine being hot or it was a Tesla. I guess if that arch welder melted some wires it could be an electrical problem. The guy was welding on the vehicle near the gas tank when it went up in flames. Pictures show that the flame's came from where he was working. It's a no brainer to me

Linda S