Installing a Roof Rack a Bad Idea?

Mike Folden

Hey guys!

I've been trying to figure out a better solution for transporting my surfboards in my 85' Dolphin and started looking into a Yakima roof rack system. I talked with my local RV shop (Ryan's RV which I really like) and my guy there just said it's a bad idea. Basically, his point was that adding more holes in the roof with weight will shift the bolts around and end up causing leaks in the long run. I'm in Seattle so we get a lot of rain and I work hard to keep our Dolphin dry (seems weird saying...). Has anyone had experience with installing and having leaks? Is it just a matter of resealing every year or does it truly expose you to a much great chance of water leaks? Any info would be much appreciated! 

Added a pic of Kenny the Dolphin and I down at Grayland State Park just because.

untitled-2977.jpg

I think I've seen racks installed so the attachment point was on the side. Weight is on the edge of the roof, outside wall so stronger. Surf boards don't weight that much. Hope someone chimes in cause I can't find the pics I remember

Linda S

On my sunrader the brackets are glassed into the inside of the corners on the wall and bolts go through brackets on the outside, super sturdy, but obviously your structure is different.

I was thinking of making steel brackets and bolt them into the wall and also go up and 90 degrees around the roof and screws into the roof too.

Bufbooth built a roof rack for his canoe.  He's had the rack on for several years now. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2011 at 9:55 PM, bufbooth said:

Hello All,

I build the below canoe roof rack from gas/water pipe and composite decking boards.

The composite decking board was 16 feet long (about $30) and I took the Toyota to go

get it and cut the board into two 8 foot long boards in the parking lot of Lowes, the

8 foot board fit into the Toyota via the front doors.

I chose the composite board since it will not rot or warp.

Ended up keeping one 8 foot board 8 feet long, but do to some vent pipes on the roof,

the other 8 foot board was cut into a 3 foot and a 4 foot board.

The other materials are as follows:

1) 4 - 72 inch half inch inch pipes (2 for the rack that the canoe sits on and 2 for side supports)

(would use 3/4 inch pipe if I had to do it again)

2) 4 - 3 inch round pipe bases / foots. (and matching set of 2 inch long bolts, nuts, washers)

3) 4 - T-connectors

4) 2 - 12 inch pipes and 2 - 10 inch pipes (for the height of the rack, but wanted front to be 2 inches lower)

5) 2 - 2 inch pipes (to add to the 72 inch pipes to get me to 78 inches)

6) 4 - 90 degree curves

7) 4 - 2 inch pipes (goes between round pipe bases and T-connectors)

8) 2 - pipe connecting joint (to connect the 72 inch and 12 inch pipes)

9) 7 - 4 inch wood bolts, 1/4 wide

I put all the pipes together on the ground, it ended up looking like a bed frame.

I predrilled holes in the composite boards for the four 3-inch round pipe bases,

and then put the bolts though the holes (threads are top side) and then I screwed

down the composite board through the roof about two inches from the edges. The

screws ended up sticking though the ceiling about one inch, with all being located

inside of a cabinet. These screws are really for keeping the rack from shifting,

straps with be used to keep the canoe on.

Dennis

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

five.jpg

six.jpg

seven.jpg

21 hours ago, davidtan said:

Rear hitch is what i did with basket carrier...carry anything anywhere..:-)

right, I have a hitch mount scooter rack I plan on welding fabricating and bolting attachments to hold two bikes, two paddle boards, and a 50cc scooter all on the back of my 1990 dolphin. 

scooter is 190lbs, hitch carier is about 50lbs, two bikes are 70lbs and paddle boards are about 50lbs together. This is about the most weight I would want to put hanging off the back, but I have a heavy duty hitch and full box frame extensions so it should be up to the task