The Magic of Zep Wet Look Floor Polish

markwilliam1

markwilliam1 - YAY! - I found it!  :D

Thanks for directing me to this thread!!  WOW.  Such helpful info.  And killer photos - of yours (congrats!) - and everyone’s rig.  Gives me hope for Lil Putt.  She’s a diamond, but still in the rough.  (Yesterday was sunny and gorgeous on the Central Coast so I got out the BKF and scrub scrub scrubbed!).

1st photograph is when I bought her, 2nd photo is after untold hrs scrubbing, 3rd is a close up of some weird patch job / odd discoloration on the fiberglass.  Included the close up in hopes you / anyone has ideas on how to address that. Wondering if I should be thinking of painting the shell as opposed to ZEP.  Or ZEP waxing after a plain base coat gets applied?

Even considering an enamel based paint...?  I’m weeks away from that step btw.  Just wanted to ask while I’m in this thread.

Thanks!

F17E71DC-A4F6-442D-8C21-62F8564DC2A3.jpeg

74DF93DF-2EF4-48B9-986C-528A63680FA6.jpeg

199428B4-E23C-472E-8911-CD456B0F59EA.jpeg

I suspect the 'weird patch job' is an old repair to the fiberglass. Looks like they just painted over the repair with the wrong version of 'white'. You could probably get a better color match. A good body shop should be able to match the original color and blend the repair into the surrounding area.

I'd resist putting anything on that area until after you've decided what to do about it.

Body shops are expensive. You can make it far less noticeable with this. Shiney Zep after and it might not even be visible. Just prep and sand before carefully and give it time to harden after. This stuff might be at local auto parts store or pick up at local Walmart

Linda S

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ZyugWrn4LtLYsQW9nJ2YBQ&q=ford+wimbledon+white+spray+paint&oq=ford+wimbledon&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l8.2267.10328.0.15047.15.10.0.4.4.0.153.1420.0j10.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.14.1557.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i20i264k1j0i10k1.0.zr_f1MTkKwU

Hey Rachel I agree with Derek looks like body work and a poor paint match. Unfortunately barkeepers Friend or Zep will not affect that discoloration. Maybe a paint color that matches the Rader? You can get a paint color match @ most auto parts shops like Napa. Repaint the area then do the Zep thing. A body shop will cost a small fortune! I did a paint match for my graphics (which were painted on) and it was a perfect match! Good Luck glad you found my post! For inside ideas check out my post “Grannie Got a Face Lift”

Yep poor repair, then painted with "white" WalMart paint. There is a chassis tag on the firewall it should have a code for the Toyota color on the cab. From your photos the Toyota color is a much better match than "white". Just go to an auto parts store to get a rattle can of matching paint.

Stick your hand in an old nylon panty hose and rub it over the repair. You will feel everything. You may need a long board to sand things smooth, then spray on the new paint. Warning the paint will take several months to harden. After that you can Zep it.

Cowl tag info.. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ToyVIN.shtml

Toyota 1984 color guide.. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/toyota/1984/all-models/

I just said that it would be a better match than white.

Plan B  Rust-oleum matte french cream PN  282816

The stuff I posted is a very close match and available everywhere. No custom mixing required. The Aero Cruiser group recommended it and their coaches are the same fiberglass as the Sunraders. Ford Wimbledon White is the color

Linda S

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I suspect the 'weird patch job' is an old repair to the fiberglass. Looks like they just painted over the repair with the wrong version of 'white'. You could probably get a better color match. A good body shop should be able to match the original color and blend the repair into the surrounding area.

I'd resist putting anything on that area until after you've decided what to do about it.

Some paint stores can scan your  panel near the "off color area"...... enter the scan into their computer & blend a custom spray can that will match your color for about 30 bux ...in our area

other areas will differ...............  white's  & cream's are least costly..............colors are a bit more....  yello & red are most costly due to the gold oxide needed......call around............. donnie

Thanks everyone!  This is all super helpful.  

Never thought of the old panty hose trick WME!  And thanks WME and all of your for the links included in replies!!  Derek up North I didn’t realize that was odd - all the matching.  These photos aren’t high quality; the cab is more of a computer paper white whereas the fiberglass is more of a cream.  Super subtle and lost in the photos.  And yes, waiting to mess with Ugly Patch until I know exactly what direction the paint is going, only used soap and water there, not BKF.  markwilliam1 I will ck out “Grannie got a face lift”, thank you!  Linda I will look into “shiny Zep”, and Donnie I appreciate the color match suggestion. 

I may get a wild hair and paint her purple or some crazy color.  Dark purple fading to black, with an irridescent, opalescent top coat?!  HA!  But, I really should be practical I suppose and think about re-sale value... Maybe I’ll get wild with the stripes?  

In the meantime, barring a wild purple paint job, Linda’s suggestion of a no color matching needed “Ford Wimbeldon White” is the direction I will go.  Zero budget to pay anyone $ to do it.  I was a Fine Arts major in college so the paint job is one Sunrader project I feel confident I can do well without hiring professionals!  (The engine is another matter...).  Then the Zep after the paint job.  (Or shiny Zep?).  As for the cab, the front R fender is a dented, rusted mess so I will tackle that last.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for this great info. I just treated Mosey and she looks like a new rig. Wish I could drop 30 years that easily!

6C7CF753-6FE4-4716-8E62-674647FDD863.jpeg

Hey K Great job man...Beautiful rig!

• 3 years later...

Thought I just post here instead of opening a new thread. I cleaned my rig today with BKF. Much more exhausting than I thought but it's so satisfying seeing the dirt come off. Even after using BKF, the surface still looks a little flaky, especially on one side. What is it and does this need to come off before I do the 5 layers of zep? 

Weather is supposed to be nice next week here so I plan on applying the multiple layers throughout the week but want to make sure the surface is ready before I start. Any concerns when you see this or is it good to go for the zep? 

Thanks, 

Nico 

PXL_20220206_014009313.jpg

PXL_20220206_014002865.jpg

PXL_20220206_013954846.jpg

Tough from a picture, however looks like the rig might have been clear coated??   I would try stripping or sanding an inconspicuous area before doing anything else.  Or you could try ZEP on an inconspicuous area and see if it camouflages what ever is there, I do doubt that will work. 

Looks like the gel coat is failing.

I had to wet sand my rv with a jitter bug sander with 600 grit. You can NOT use an electric sander with water.

Try wet sanding a small section by hand to see what happens

8 hours ago, KonCon said:

Dang, already has been a lot of work. The only good thing is it is only on one side. Should I try the zep remover? 

I think I would drop by a body or fiberglass, maybe a boat place, and get their opinion,  clear coat, failing gel coat, ZEP?????  

It might not look like this in the pictures but I'm pretty sure the shinier patches are something on the gel coat so my best guess currently is, that it is in fact remainder of the last ZEP coat. I will take a look tonight. If it ends up being something on the gel coat, I probably just buy the zep stripper and clean the side again that shows this issue.

The ZEP stripper works great.  It needs to be mixed at the specified temperature and needs to be kept wet for 8 minutes so keep applying it.  After 2 years I stripped mine and reapplied the ZEP.  A bit of work but a wax job that lasts 2 years! 

Yeah ZEP is the best, mine lasted 4 years but I really should have redone it last year.

If the stripper works then you can go for the 5 coats.

Normally before applying ZEP for the first time you need to scrub surface with Barkeepers Helper to get a perfectly clean surface.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:17 PM, WME said:

Looks like the gel coat is failing.

I had to wet sand my rv with a jitter bug sander with 600 grit. You can NOT use an electric sander with water.

Try wet sanding a small section by hand to see what happens

Looks like the ZEP stripper didn't do much. I probably will get a cheap jitterbug sander from harbor freight for 30 bucks and do the one side where I have the issues.

Then rinse with BKF (only have the one in the bottle premixed after I used all of the powder cleaning the entire rig last weekend) and then apply 5 coats of ZEP this weekend.

Anything speaking against this process?

Thanks,

Nico

Rent/borrow a bigger compressor.  Before you do this get a hand sand block and wet sand a couble square feet of an side panel and see what happens.

I absolutely would not go with a high speed sander. Looks like your gel coat is already failing and it will only make it worse. Wet hand sand only to get the surface smooth and hope the shine of the zep hides some of the surface issues. 5 coats is overkill. I wouldn't do more than 2. Protect it for now and realize eventually the cure is going to be paint. My friend Roy painted his Sunrader with Rusoleum Topside, boat paint, and he says it's holding up really well

Linda S

Thanks Linda.

I'll grab a hand sand block and some 500 grit sand paper tonight and hopefully i find some time tomorrow to work on it and then put on the Zep on Saturday.

A lot of folks say the nice shine does not really show until the 4th layer so I still might do the overkill to get the nice look :)

I ended up hand sanding a few spots, then cleaning again with BKF and then I put 5 thin coats of the ZEP. Looks real nice and shiny. Still can see the difference in color a little bit but I'm quite happy. Eventually this thing probably needs a new paint job but I feel like I just bought myself a year or two time to do that. Thanks again for all the input. It was a lot of work but worth the effort. Now ready for the season. I guess beside the weird noises the car makes so I have to bring it to a shop to check.... Haha always something to do

Edited by KonCon