Fuel Filler hose question

NWishome

I have noticed the smell of gasoline after filling up, esp. in the storage compartment just inside the door near where you put the gas in.  I reviewed the forum for this issue and the likely issue was the fuel filler hose.  (This is on my 1992/93 Toyota Dolphin)   I just looked underneath and the 2 hoses (vent and filler hose) appear intact without cracks or obvious holes.  However the filler hose is crimped not far from the top- folded over so tightly I am surprised it doesn't just run out when I get gas! I reached up in there to feel it and couldn't believe it when felt that crimp!  I assume it was replaced at some point and who ever did it had the hose too long.  I haven't crawled under and looked right after getting gas yet to see if there is any seepage anywhere.  It all looks fairly accessible and I am fairly mechanical but I am not sure I want to do it myself- worried that is something goes wrong I'll be stuck in the driveway forever.  Would the Toyota dealer be the one to replace the 2 hoses (filler and vent)?  I have only had it a few months and did take it to the dealer for an oil change before our big 3000 mile trip to Alaska (just got back).  The local nondealer place that has good recommendations can't work on something this big as it won't fit in their garage/lift doors.  

Two years ago I had to replace fuel hoses on my 87 Dolphin.  Then I moved up to a 90 Dolphin and had to replace fuel hoses on that too.  But lucky for me I knew of a radiator shop that also did gas tank work.  He had to work in his parking lot because the Dolphins would not go into his work bay.  I wonder if it is not too unusual for a radiator shop to also do gas tanks and therefore also fuel hoses? 

Good luck, and I almost envy your Alaska trip. 

I have that kink also.  I would like to say go for it, easy job. But every 45 minute job I do on POP$ turns into a 3 day quagmire!  Fortunately I can block my driveway for days, can you park on the lawn and do it?

In 1999 I left for Alaska, I am still on the way:rolleyes:

I rebuilt my Escapers fuel hoses. I used fuel line hose from NAPA and prebent sections of exhaust tubing. The fuel rated hose is $$. prebent exhaust is cheap.

Are the two ends the same diameter (tank and top part)?  What diameter is it (1992 )?  My vent hose droops below the filler hose so I am going to try to poke it up and see if the kinks are still there as when I  try to open the gas cap there is always pressure that is released and it is really hard to unscrew to release the pressure.

Not to be a wise guy, well maybe; but are you sure you have a problem? You smell gas after filling up. No other time?. The hose appears to have a fold in it. Does the gas go in? Eh, I'm just bitter cause mine isn't even running right now. Still working on that TPS thing.

Putting EFI in my 64 Chevelle, found these guys when researching EFI fuel tanks. Here is one page that might be helpful in the future for some one.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=104/category_id=166/mode=prod/prd104.htm

They have a multitude of fuel filler necks that may be useful.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=166/mode=cat/cat166.htm

Edited by WME

• 5 years later...