Hey everybody! New to this forum and loving all the information on here! My boyfriend and I recently bought an 89' Toyota Dolphin and we've been doing some serious renovations. So our main problem now is that our generator won't run the ac unit (which is a concern for us because we have a long haired hyperactive dog). Anyways, so the thing is it starts up the ac, runs for maybe 5 minutes and then the ac kicks off but the generator continues to run. I've been reading something about a hard start capacitor working but would like to get some opinions/suggestions/what worked for you, anything really! I believe the ac is the original and is 13,500 btu. Our generator is a Coleman powermate with a 1800 running watts and a 2250 max watts, which we are looking to upgrade to the Honda eu2000i.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! Thanks!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the madness.  I'm not an expert but have a bit of experience with this.  The Coleman and Honda can run a roof air, maybe and not dependably.  I have what I believe is an original 11,000 BTU roof air that my 2000 watt Honda would not run.  I added a hard start capacitor and it ran, the ambient temperature was in the 70's, so not much of a test.  The mighty little Honda will not start and run my AC when the temperature is in the 90's!  Temperature and elevation affect generator and AC performance.

A good question here is does the AC work on shore power? Mine functions well on shore power.

The initial starting of the AC is the hard part referred to as LRA or locked rotor amps.   This is a very brief spike power draw, on mine it is 45 amps! 

You can add a hard start and hope for the best, my personal opinion is it would be a waste of time and money. An "upgrade" to the Honda 2000 would not be an upgrade, it would cost 250 max amps.  (if the Coleman ratings are accurate?) If you keep the roof air and go for a larger generator then the hard start would be a good idea. But it is not a magical cure for your issue.

So your choice's seem to be a newer more efficient AC or a larger generator.The lowest power draw roof air's are the Coleman 11,000 btu power saver and the Advent roof air a newer unit which is starting to get some good reviews and is said to be capable of running on a 2000 watt generator.

There are some cheap disposable 2500 watt generators around, that might work dependably, Harbor freight has one for about $500. Notice I said "might".

Is replacing a 20+ year old AC a bad idea,  is buying a bigger generator a good idea,  maybe leaving the dog home? Tough decisions Might. want to do a web search and see what others have done.  I went to absurd lengths to add a 8000 btu window AC that runs on the 2000 watt Honda, I did it because I could!

IMG_0848.JPG

Edited by jjrbus

9 hours ago, Brynn&Cas said:

the ac is the original and is 13,500 btu. Our generator is a Coleman powermate with a 1800 running watts and a 2250 max watts, which we are looking to upgrade to the Honda eu2000i.

Why do you think switching to the smaller, less powerful Honda generator is an upgrade?  One possible variable here is if your Coleman is not really putting out what it should. I doubt it though. My experience with the Coleman Pulse and Powermates is they are noisy but work well.  One "by ear" test is if the generator sounds like it works hard before it trips the breaker? If not, maybe the breaker is worn out.  In ref. to soft-start kits - from tests I've read - the Supco is pretty worthless, but the Dometic works well (and is also very expensive). 

The reality is - a 13,500 AC unit can draw near 8000 watts for a fraction of a second when first starting, and level out to 1800-2100 watts when running.   How can you expect a Honda rated for 1600 watts to run that well?  I think the smallest on-board generators ever sold to use in these RVs were rated 2500 watt continuous and over 3000 watts surge.  Seems you either need a smaller AC unit, or a bigger generator.  I'd pick the Harbor Freight or a Hyundai if it was up to me.

generatorHF.jpg

If you want quiet and quality you will have to pay for it, the Honda 3000 watt would fit the bill but they are pretty big and heavy. The cheap inverter generators are really quiet when they are not doing much but when they are loaded down they run pretty much full tilt and are about as noisy as a cheap open frame one. I was parked about 100' away from a Roybi 2200 watt inverter generator they were running their AC I had to get up and turn the noisy thing around so that the exhaust was pointing the other direction. I bought a Roybi 2000 watt a few years ago and returned it the same day in 20 minutes it leaked out over half it's oil from the crank seal. Me I would buy a Yamaha 2800 watt yes they are the price of a used car but if you want quiet and dependability there is not much out there that will run your AC properly for cheap money. If you are the only one camping then enjoy your noise with a cheap one.

I'll trump opinions with fact. I have the Harbor freight 2500 watt inverter JDE shows above and a 11,000 BTU rooftop and am the only person in the forum to prove an effective working system ; showing it running my ac while my RV is driving on video in various states, altitudes and environments. It kept our german shep happy in 98 degree heat. Other people have made claims in here about hondas etc but none ran them while driving successfully. If its 98 degrees your rig will still be hotter than that while moving even with the windows open.. so do your dog a favor and get a generator AC combo that is proven.

To the OP:

you do not mention what your current generator is; is it built in? If its not built in and is just a carry on generator is it going into overload mode? if so its "running" but is not producing power to the outlets on it anymore. It does this to protect its circuits and means your generator is undersized.

I would avoid the honda 2000's like the plague. they are $1000 and we have had people team up two of them in here and still not get them running reliably.

Engineering is the 3 F's form fit and function. just looking cool and being light weight are only 2.

you may see more actual real life application of the HF unit in action in the challenge:

Edited by Totem

3 minutes ago, Totem said:

you do not mention what your current generator is;

11 hours ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Our generator is a Coleman powermate with a 1800 running watts and a 2250 max watts

I'm only here to help

3 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I'm only here to help

thanks I missed this... so they will "upgrade" to a honda that puts out even less power... lol

back to the OP:

your altitude matters also...and to a lesser degree the operating temperatures and humidity; I would size a system to run in 100% humidity high elevation and 98 degree heat.

If you want to do that on a honda 2000 you will need to cut a hole in your RV or cannibalize a window, put in a window AC unit and possibly several fans.

Edited by Totem

1 minute ago, Totem said:

thanks I missed this... so they will "upgrade" to a honda that puts out even less power... lol

No problem.  I've been staying out of these discussions as I tire of getting hit in the head. 

2 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Why do you think switching to the smaller, less powerful Honda generator is an upgrade?  One possible variable here is if your Coleman is not really putting out what it should. I doubt it though. My experience with the Coleman Pulse and Powermates is they are noisy but work well.  One "by ear" test is if the generator sounds like it works hard before it trips the breaker? If not, maybe the breaker is worn out.  In ref. to soft-start kits - from tests I've read - the Supco is pretty worthless, but the Dometic works well (and is also very expensive). 

The reality is - a 13,500 AC unit can draw near 8000 watts for a fraction of a second when first starting, and level out to 1800-2100 watts when running.   How can you expect a Honda rated for 1600 watts to run that well?  I think the smallest on-board generators ever sold to use in these RVs were rated 2500 watt continuous and over 3000 watts surge.  Seems you either need a smaller AC unit, or a bigger generator.  I'd pick the Harbor Freight or a Hyundai if it was up to me.

generatorHF.jpg

Agree 100% with this^.

you can add a 3 year extended warranty on the HF unit for around $30 and just swap out if it fails; there are HFs all over the continental US. Personally I have run mine without and it stil runs great on year 3

Edited by Totem

3 hours ago, Totem said:

I would avoid the honda 2000's like the plague. they are $1000 and we have had people team up two of them in here and still not get them running reliably.

And just who are these people?     Just bought a new Honda EU2000i for $880, not $1000.      Jim SW FL

well they sure as haides wont be running a 13500 BTU rooftop unit with the "upgrade" to the honda 2000, even you will admit that.

Edited by Totem

FWIW both the Honda web site and Yamaha web site do NOT recommended the 2000 units to run RV AC. Yamaha says 2800w, Honda says 3000w. I guess because they make an inverter  generator that size. Yamaha also makes an 2400w unit, there is an asterisk on RV AC in its recommended load chart, saying 10,000 btu or less. Also a bigger asterisk saying AC greatly vary on start up loads and that the rating is just a basic recommendation. 

unfortunately we've had people in here get a 2000 to start a rooftop once or twice and now its a myth that they are well suited to run rooftop units on RVs.

Thankfully JJRBUS has switched to a low power draw window unit to use his on. As long as folks realise that thats what they will have to use a 2000 for, its fine. But when they come in here looking for recommendations on something to run a 13500, I would advise getting a honda 3000 or larger or better yet get rid of that 13500 BTU rooftop unit that's really meant for a Class A RV. As JJ mentioned the power saver ACs are whats really needed for smaller generators.

After getting rid of my 13500 in favor of the 11,000 BTU PS edition I would say the AC is more key than the generator.

Edited by Totem

54 minutes ago, Totem said:

well they sure as haides wont be running a 13500 BTU rooftop unit with the "upgrade" to the honda 2000, even you will admit that.

I would like to know who the people are who we have had team up two of them in here and still not get them to run successfully. I have never heard of anyone that could not run any RV roof air on 2  Honda's

There is a RV rental fleet operator here in Florida using Honda EU2000i generators to run Advent 13.5k BTU roof airs. So I can't admit that.

I did a bit of due diligence before I bought the new Honda and your Predator in testing consistently peaks at 1900 watts, not its 2200 "rated" watts.    Must be the Chinese watts are smaller than US watts?     Jim

My predator ran my 13500 also. not consistently but if i got it to catch it ran it.

your due diligence, .. what was that? Ive metered my 2500 and have the video of its output; I must have one of the "lucky" ones that does what its rated at.

Unfortunately no honda 2000 is going to output 2000 watts continuous. 1600 maybe...

This isnt even a contest here on output; the bigger motor wins. Thats why literally every one in here says to stay away form them for roof applications; even you.

As to your magical 2000 you are always free to post video of it running your rooftop AC while you run down the road at 65 mph. My predator did it. 98 degrees. in the mountains. Its on film in here. There really isn't too much use for AC otherwise; because most campgrounds have 30 Amp. As to rustic backwoods camping, if you are there why be in the rig at all?

7 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Welcome to the madness.  I'm not an expert but have a bit of experience with this.  The Coleman and Honda can run a roof air, maybe and not dependably.  I have what I believe is an original 11,000 BTU roof air that my 2000 watt Honda would not run.  I added a hard start capacitor and it ran, the ambient temperature was in the 70's, so not much of a test.  The mighty little Honda will not start and run my AC when the temperature is in the 90's!  Temperature and elevation affect generator and AC performance.

A good question here is does the AC work on shore power? Mine functions well on shore power.

The initial starting of the AC is the hard part referred to as LRA or locked rotor amps.   This is a very brief spike power draw, on mine it is 45 amps! 

You can add a hard start and hope for the best, my personal opinion is it would be a waste of time and money. An "upgrade" to the Honda 2000 would not be an upgrade, it would cost 250 max amps.  (if the Coleman ratings are accurate?) If you keep the roof air and go for a larger generator then the hard start would be a good idea. But it is not a magical cure for your issue.

So your choice's seem to be a newer more efficient AC or a larger generator.The lowest power draw roof air's are the Coleman 11,000 btu power saver and the Advent roof air a newer unit which is starting to get some good reviews and is said to be capable of running on a 2000 watt generator.

There are some cheap disposable 2500 watt generators around, that might work dependably, Harbor freight has one for about $500. Notice I said "might".

Is replacing a 20+ year old AC a bad idea,  is buying a bigger generator a good idea,  maybe leaving the dog home? Tough decisions Might. want to do a web search and see what others have done.  I went to absurd lengths to add a 8000 btu window AC that runs on the 2000 watt Honda, I did it because I could!

IMG_0848.JPG

Thanks so much for all your information! I guess I'll just keep on researching what our best option is and check out those two a.c. units. And leaving the dog at home is not an option because we've jumped all in and will be traveling/living in the rig. I misunderstood the specs on the Honda,(never owned a generator, or done any of this before so I'm a bit daft to the whole thing) I was thinking it was 2000 running not the 1600, so it certainly would not be an upgrade! Thank you for pointing that out, we would have felt even more idiotic if we would have bought it.

And yes, the unit runs great on shore power, haven't had a problem with it yet, fingers crossed.

And that's a sweet little set up you got there! Looks great, and like a lot of hard work!

7 hours ago, jdemaris said:

generatorHF.jpg

Thanks for the info! Like I replied to jjrbus I had misunderstood the specs as we're totally newbies so this. Looks like that predator is a pretty good deal! I will have to check it out.

2 hours ago, jjrbus said:

And just who are these people?     Just bought a new Honda EU2000i for $880, not $1000.      Jim SW FL

ok 1 guy in here.. and where did you get a eu2000i for $880 out the door brand new? source please?

6 hours ago, Maineah said:

If you want quiet and quality you will have to pay for it, the Honda 3000 watt would fit the bill but they are pretty big and heavy. The cheap inverter generators are really quiet when they are not doing much but when they are loaded down they run pretty much full tilt and are about as noisy as a cheap open frame one. I was parked about 100' away from a Roybi 2200 watt inverter generator they were running their AC I had to get up and turn the noisy thing around so that the exhaust was pointing the other direction. I bought a Roybi 2000 watt a few years ago and returned it the same day in 20 minutes it leaked out over half it's oil from the crank seal. Me I would buy a Yamaha 2800 watt yes they are the price of a used car but if you want quiet and dependability there is not much out there that will run your AC properly for cheap money. If you are the only one camping then enjoy your noise with a cheap one.

Those Yamahas are sadly out of our price range at the moment -_- and I agree with the Honda 3000 being too heavy for us, I feel like we have enough weight as it is and should be looking to get rid of some! And from what little research I have done I haven't really heard any good things about the Roybi's so I plan on steering clear of those. Thanks for your input!

4 minutes ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Thanks for the info! Like I replied to jjrbus I had misunderstood the specs as we're totally newbies so this. Looks like that predator is a pretty good deal! I will have to check it out.

There are plenty of 2500 watt plus units that are quiet like this. HF is just one option, but I rather fancy the yamaha 2800 Maineh mentioned. I went with the predator because it was easy to walk over to a HF put my hands one it and its light weight. If I was gonna buy Japanese toyota like quality I would get the 2800 Yamaha for sure.

There was a rcent

4 minutes ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Thanks so much for all your information! I guess I'll just keep on researching what our best option is and check out those two a.c. units. And leaving the dog at home is not an option because we've jumped all in and will be traveling/living in the rig. I misunderstood the specs on the Honda,(never owned a generator, or done any of this before so I'm a bit daft to the whole thing) I was thinking it was 2000 running not the 1600, so it certainly would not be an upgrade! Thank you for pointing that out, we would have felt even more idiotic if we would have bought it.

And yes, the unit runs great on shore power, haven't had a problem with it yet, fingers crossed.

And that's a sweet little set up you got there! Looks great, and like a lot of hard work!

Thanks for the compliment, greatly appreciated.   

There was a thread lately on pet's and some campgrounds not allowing dogs to be left alone in RV, that might be of some interest to you.

Good luck  Jim

5 hours ago, Totem said:

I'll trump opinions with fact. I have the Harbor freight 2500 watt inverter JDE shows above and a 11,000 BTU rooftop and am the only person in the forum to prove an effective working system ; showing it running my ac while my RV is driving on video in various states, altitudes and environments. It kept our german shep happy in 98 degree heat. Other people have made claims in here about hondas etc but none ran them while driving successfully. If its 98 degrees your rig will still be hotter than that while moving even with the windows open.. so do your dog a favor and get a generator AC combo that is proven.

To the OP:

you do not mention what your current generator is; is it built in? If its not built in and is just a carry on generator is it going into overload mode? if so its "running" but is not producing power to the outlets on it anymore. It does this to protect its circuits and means your generator is undersized.

Engineering is the 3 F's form fit and function. just looking cool and being light weight are only 2.

you may see more actual real life application of the HF unit in action in the challenge:

I'm really interested in checking out the harbor freight generator, and I wll most certainly check out your other thread. I really just want to make sure my pup is okay, though he does seem to handle 90 degree weather fine as long as he had some shade, but anyways. The generator is not built in, it is a carry on generator. And it does seem to be doing just that, going into overload mode and then after that nothing is powered just like you said. So it seems like what you guys have all recommended. New AC or new higher powered generator.

Is the harbor freight one fairly quiet? Honestly that's what turned me onto the Honda because our coleman (besides not being able to run the ac) is very loud.

12 minutes ago, Totem said:

There are plenty of 2500 watt plus units that are quiet like this. HF is just one option, but I rather fancy the yamaha 2800 Maineh mentioned. I went with the predator because it was easy to walk over to a HF put my hands one it and its light weight. If I was gonna buy Japanese toyota like quality I would get the 2800 Yamaha for sure.

Yeah, Yamaha seems nice, however, out of our price range. And I do like the sound of light weight! Though by the sounds of it we would still need to upgrade our ac unit, right? All your guy's input is greatly appreciated!! :D

23 minutes ago, Totem said:

My predator ran my 13500 also. not consistently but if i got it to catch it ran it.

your due diligence, .. what was that? Ive metered my 2500 and have the video of its output; I must have one of the "lucky" ones that does what its rated at.

I'm talking professionals in shops with thousands of dollars in equipment, not someone in the back yard with a kill meter. 

Unfortunately no honda 2000 is going to output 2000 watts continuous. 1600 maybe...

The Honda clearly states 2000 peak and 1600 running and of course they are under rated!

This isnt even a contest here on output; the bigger motor wins. Thats why literally every one in here says to stay away form them for roof applications; even you.

I am rather cautious about what I post and do not believe I said stay away from them for roof applications!

As to your magical 2000 you are always free to post video of it running your rooftop AC while you run down the road at 65 mph. My predator did it. 98 degrees. in the mountains. Its on film in here. There really isn't too much use for AC otherwise; because most campgrounds have 30 Amp. As to rustic backwoods camping, if you are there why be in the rig at all?

You still won't answer who the people were that had a problem running a roof air with 2 Honda's?  I'd like to read that

18 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

There was a rcent

Thanks for the compliment, greatly appreciated.   

There was a thread lately on pet's and some campgrounds not allowing dogs to be left alone in RV, that might be of some interest to you.

Good luck  Jim

I will be checking that thread out! Thank you for the heads up! And for the luck, we're going to need it! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Brynn&Cas said:

When you go to the Harbor Freight website they show reviews, they are set up so that you read the good reviews, poke around and make sure to read the bad reviews also.

Are they quiet? Quiet is very subjective, what you consider quiet I would find horribly loud!  If I were buying the HF genset I would be sure to get the extended warranty!   HTH  Jim

1 minute ago, jjrbus said:

When you go to the Harbor Freight website they show reviews, they are set up so that you read the good reviews, poke around and make sure to read the bad reviews also.

Are they quiet? Quiet is very subjective, what you consider quiet I would find horribly loud!  If I were buying the HF genset I would be sure to get the extended warranty!   HTH  Jim

If I did buy it I was defiantly going to be getting the warranty!! And thank you for the heads up, I will certainly look at more reviews then just that. The last thing we need is to buy another piece of crap! haha:lol:

I let my own devices speak for me on film and posted the evidence in this forum. My generator ran while on film in several locations just fine while driving.

your conjecture and ad-hominem hearsay from reading rednecks on harbor freight comments board is fine, as long as you consider the sort that write those comments along with their grammatical abilities, but attacking my voltage unit readings and calling them false is patently absurd and desperate.

No amount of typing you do will change tthe honda eu2000i's output of 1600 watts. Its too puny for the job.

Its obviously not quiet either or you wouldn't have a thread on here trying to baffle the sound out of the thing. Hopefully it can handle running the window unit for long extended periods such as 8 hours. time will tell

Brynn&Cas  Now you see why I don't participate in these discussions.  That and I don't carry a generator or have an AC.  I live up north and camp by the cool ocean so my opinion really doesn't apply.  Best of luck to you but you have at least saved yourself from buying an undersized genny.  That we pretty much all agree on.  Pretty much not much else from there. 

Hey, welcome to the forum.  One big happy dysfunctional family.

37 minutes ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Those Yamahas are sadly out of our price range at the moment -_- and I agree with the Honda 3000 being too heavy for us, I feel like we have enough weight as it is and should be looking to get rid of some! And from what little research I have done I haven't really heard any good things about the Roybi's so I plan on steering clear of those. Thanks for your input!

You've stepped, alas , into the non Honda vs Honda generator war in this thread, as I'm sure you can tell.

All I can tell you is that I got sick of the emotional farce and taped my adventures this summer in 98 degree heat in NC, TN and Virginia among onther states in the smokies and Appalachians. My setup ran great and it wasnt a Honda. My HF Predator is over 3 years old now and has run my deer camp for days on end. Never failed to start on first pull. Believe me, I beat the crap out of it and its tough as nails. We've left our dog with it running for periods and its never let us down..

33 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

Brynn&Cas  Now you see why I don't participate in these discussions.  That and I don't carry a generator or have an AC.  I live up north and camp by the cool ocean so my opinion really doesn't apply.  Best of luck to you but you have at least saved yourself from buying an undersized genny.  That we pretty much all agree on.  Pretty much not much else from there. 

Bahaha! Thanks for the welcome Don! And yes, I can very much understand not wanting to get involved. :P 

44 minutes ago, Brynn&Cas said:

If I did buy it I was defiantly going to be getting the warranty!! And thank you for the heads up, I will certainly look at more reviews then just that. The last thing we need is to buy another piece of crap! haha:lol:

Another option is the Champion generator, they seem to have a good product, bigger and heavier and can be picked up refurbished for $600, if I wanted a bigger genset this is the route I would go.  Very short warranty so maybe 3 year warranty is better.

http://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100086/refurbished-2800w-inverter-100156

I call my Toy POP'$    

piece of poop but expensive.    

36 minutes ago, Totem said:

You've stepped, alas , into the non Honda vs Honda generator war in this thread, as I'm sure you can tell.

All I can tell you is that I got sick of the emotional farce and taped my adventures this summer in 98 degree heat in NC, TN and Virginia among onther states in the smokies and Appalachians. My setup ran great and it wasnt a Honda. My HF Predator is over 3 years old now and has run my deer camp for days on end. Never failed to start on first pull. Believe me, I beat the crap out of it and its tough as nails. We've left our dog with it running for periods and its never let us down..

Oh yes, I've noticed! And I'm currently neutral in this generator war, I'm just appreciating all the information! Been checking out different reviews for the predator and it is seeming like it might be the one! Good to know you haven't had any problems with it too, especially with leaving your dog

41 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

You really are a party pooper here, just no fun at all.   

5 hours ago, Totem said:

ok 1 guy in here.. and where did you get a eu2000i for $880 out the door brand new? source please?

You still won't answer who the people were that had a problem running a roof air with 2 Honda's?  I'd like to read that, Source please