travel with pets and then what?

jack-ramblin

for those at rv and take pets. what do you with pets when you go canoeing or what ever and cannot take the pet? we were planning a trip out and checking on campgrounds and notice most places state you can not leave the pet in rv for any amount of time.

so does that not defeat the purpose of rving with pets? I can see half a day or longer being an issue but a couple of hours? now I am thinking of selling it before the first trip as that was the reason we got one so we can take pets with us.

thanks

4 hours ago, jack-ramblin said:

for those at rv and take pets. what do you with pets when you go canoeing or what ever and cannot take the pet?

We don't go anywhere without our dog .   When we lived in NY, camping was a  problem since many campgrounds do not let you in with a dog under any circumstances. Note I'm talking rural, usually state campgrounds. Rural is all we ever do. Here in northern Michigan, it has never been an issue. Never been to a campground here where dogs are not welcome. Usually a leash is required and you are not allowed to leave a dog outside on a leash unattended (which is a good thing).  Many people leave dogs in their RVs.  We don't since our dog does with us - even in the canoe.  A few weeks ago we went to Mackinac Island and we were concerned since it is all horse-travel there (no motor vehicles).  Our dog likes to bark at Amish people when in their horse-drawn buggys when we get behind them on the road where we live.  On Mackinac Island - there is one major dog-rule.  They cannot torment horses.  So, before the trip we went over to a nearby Amish farm and took my dog up to meet some of their horses close up. Well? No barking. Not a peep.  I guess she only does it when safe in a car.  So we went to Mackinac Island and even paid for a seat on a horse-drawn taxi for our dog to sit on.  Later we stopped at one state historic site and park on a hot day and the entire parking lot was filled with RVs. Engines running and AC going and it seem most had dogs inside.  I know that in some states that is illegal. I know it was in Vermont last time I was there.

i stay at parks that say pets cannot be left alone all the time.

I choose to be liberal and redefine what my definition of pet is. To me a pet is a hermit crab; so i leave my crabs at home.

My GSD on the other hand is both a family member and employee; chief of security. He stays. My RV is my domicile; it gets locked on rarities where we cant walk the dog with us.

On days where we shop the RV is with us too and he stays in it still guarding with the generator running. State laws be damned. They want to do something to me they can bring it on; I've yet to have it happen. Sometimes you have to stand up and fight tyranny. Now that being said, i don't leave my dog unattended very long... and when i do the AC is running off camp power. I have little fear of the AC failing when it only draws 7.5 Amps with the power saver edition.

i like that jde's dog is canoe trained. My last GSD was also.. I hope to have Zeus behaving that well in a year. will be canoeing with him on a trip soon. Hope I don't tip.

Edited by Totem

I used google to find out that a GSD was a German Shepherd Dog.

Actually its a dog versus a person tending a flock of sheep who happens to be a subject of Angela Merkel..just thought I'd clear that up for those curiosity types :)

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2016 at 7:28 AM, Totem said:

i stay at parks that say pets cannot be left alone all the time.

I choose to be liberal and redefine what my definition of pet is. To me a pet is a hermit crab; so i leave my crabs at home.

My GSD on the other hand is both a family member and employee; chief of security. He stays. My RV is my domicile; it gets locked on rarities where we cant walk the dog with us.

On days where we shop the RV is with us too and he stays in it still guarding with the generator running. State laws be damned. They want to do something to me they can bring it on; I've yet to have it happen. Sometimes you have to stand up and fight tyranny. Now that being said, i don't leave my dog unattended very long... and when i do the AC is running off camp power. I have little fear of the AC failing when it only draws 7.5 Amps with the power saver edition.

i like that jde's dog is canoe trained. My last GSD was also.. I hope to have Zeus behaving that well in a year. will be canoeing with him on a trip soon. Hope I don't tip.

Just now, Honu said:

I recently broke down on an Interstate and required a tow service which wouldn't allow my dog in the tow truck, the dog would need to stay in the RV. I asked the service if I could ride with my dog in the RV. No was the answer. Thankfully my brother drove 80 miles round trip to get us as we followed the tow truck. If I'd been further away I don't know what I could have done. Anyone with advice?

No advice as you resolved your situation as best you could. If it were me and there were no family, my wife and I would've been calling places for a car rental or ride share and seeing if dogs were allowed. I believe some of the car rental agencies say they pick you up. If a no go there I would call the Humane Society or other local dog rescue locations in the area and see if they had volunteers willing to be paid to provide a transport. Would be a huge problem for me and I would be calling a lot to resolve it. 

Just curious on this one.. if you just now broke down, and its assumed you are in the lower 48. Whats the big deal with leaving the dog in the RV? Its winter. Dog will be fine. If it has Separation anxiety then stow everything you can and chalk up the loss to whatever it does to an opportunity to upgrade. New cushions etc.

9 hours ago, Totem said:

Just curious on this one.. if you just now broke down, and its assumed you are in the lower 48. Whats the big deal with leaving the dog in the RV? Its winter. Dog will be fine. If it has Separation anxiety then stow everything you can and chalk up the loss to whatever it does to an opportunity to upgrade. New cushions etc.

My dog is 14 years old and I worried she'd bounce around or slide into the rear wall, it needed to go up on a flat bed. If I could be in there with her we could have bounced around together with me holding her near (she's 65 lbs) and telling her its ok. 

13 hours ago, Scott iv said:

No advice as you resolved your situation as best you could. If it were me and there were no family, my wife and I would've been calling places for a car rental or ride share and seeing if dogs were allowed. I believe some of the car rental agencies say they pick you up. If a no go there I would call the Humane Society or other local dog rescue locations in the area and see if they had volunteers willing to be paid to provide a transport. Would be a huge problem for me and I would be calling a lot to resolve it. 

Thank you for those great ideas! I really liked the rental car delivery possibility! I was completely befuddled.