Heres the story:

1976 Toyota Chinook  ( 20R, non-dually )

Pulled the rear axles to replace one of the differential seals which had blown and leaked dif oil all over the drums.

Noticed the wheel bearings were loose and could be wobbled side to side (on left AND right wheels), assumed they were blown, ordered new bearings ( KOYO 6308T ) which are what was in there.

Have new bearings pressed in, and they are walking in the housing the EXACT same way... they even move in and out in the housing about 2-3mm?  

so my next thought was the housings on the hub themselves are toast and i would need to seek out a 1973-1978 toyota pickup rear end at a scrap yard...

so i find an entire rear end 2.5 hours away with the 4.1:1 Chinook ratio,  but the guy tells me Toyota shows a SPECIFIC entirely different part numbers for the differential on the "camper" models of the 73-78 toyota pickup.

so heres my questions....

are there entirely different bearings for chinook models? 

is it normal to have play in the bearings like that?

should i just go buy this entire rear end for $150 USD and hope it fits?

hahah many thank yous in advance to anyone who actually reads this!! :-)

I just threw out three of those complete rear-ends that were in good shape (from 77 and 78 Chinooks). I kept all the axles but dumped the sheet-metal housings.  Kind of a shame but no market for them and usually, nothing to go wrong that cannot be repaired.

There is NO difference between a regular pickup truck rear and the one in the Chinook.  Big difference between those used in 1973-74, and those used 1975-1979.   So, you must get one from a 1975-79).

I am going by memory and do not have my factory service manuals here - but . .   As I recall, the ball-bearing is pressed on the axle and held on by a pressed on steel ring.  Then the OD of that bearing is held into the rear-axle-housing steel mounting plate a snap ring. THAT bolts onto the axle-tube. If there is excessive side-play, you can just shim it tight. If it is worn out - it is just the plate and NOT the axle-housing.  It is almost a carbon-copy of the Ford 9" rear used in 60s-70s F100 truck

Toyota used the same ball bearings in trucks from 1969 up past model year 2000.   Timken RW130RW, or SKF GRW130R.    1.57" ID (axle diameter), 3.54" OD, and .90" thick.

You can take the entire center-section out from a 75 or newer Chinook (Hotchkiss) and it will bolt right into a late 80s rear -semi-floater or full-floater (or vice-versa).  1978 has a 4.11 ratio, where-as newer rears have a 4.10 ratio.  Gears are different count but have, more-or-less, the same ratio.

If you are dead-set on buying a complete rear (and maybe someone else's headache) - make sure the axle-tube OD is 2 1/2" and NOT 3 1/8" like on newer trucks.  

toyotan_axles.jpg

I just got thinking (brain is slow in the morning). I have some of those steel plates that hold the bearings and bolt on to the rear. If you are in need for sure - let me know. I have no use for them. I know the bearings are still tight in them since the axles are still mounted in the plates.  I have a whole stack of them - all from 77-78 Chinooks (not that it matters).

toyota_bearing_plate.jpg