Forgot about low-hanging phone wire

We went in our 90 Dolphin to stay in the driveway of a relative for the next day's family reunion.  Before we left our house she called to warn me that there had been a wind storm at her house and that a wire was hanging low over her drive.  Of course I forgot.  Of course there were low tree branches hiding the low wire.  Of course we ran into the wire.  Here's what happened.

The wire tore off the yellow lens from one of the top front marker lights.  The wire snagged under the fiberglass shell of the roof A/C and broke it into four pieces.  Then it caught on the luggage rail, tearing off one section of the rail and pulling one rail stand right out of the roof, leaving two empty screw holes on top.  Last the wire itself broke in two.  Lucky it was a telephone wire and not the electric service.

Enter the roll of duct tape.  I covered the two open screw holes with tape even though rain was not expected.  I put the pieces of A/C shroud back in their relative positions and taped like crazy because it was 280 miles home at 55 mph, meaning a 55 mph wind on that shroud.  Thanks be to God we got home intact.  Lesson learned.

Hmmm, I was just looking at telescoping aluminum poles today at the local big box store that stretch out to 8' and store in a 4' length. Getting tired of rubbing scratches out of the plastic vent-lens for the Fantastic Fan and the re-polishing the front windows for my SunRader. I figured I could make a V-shaped yoke to fit the end to lift (phone)  wires, branches etc.. Seems like the city gave up trimming trees over the streets where I live and lots of campsites we've been to didn't have the 9.5 ft. clearance I need in my rig. Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad to hear you got home OK. PTL for duct tape.

TG

Several years ago we installed a cell phone antenna on a SUV the type with a pig tail. The owner pulled into his yard during an ice storm the antenna tangled in the phone wire pulled the antenna out of the roof and the wire going to the antenna held fast and snapped the entire head liner out of the roof and it landed on his head and he then ran into the house with the SUV!. 

my best was attempting to drive into a parking garage after forgetting i had just installed rooftop AC a few years back.. prior to the AC i had gone in parking garages with no troubles. Drove into a particularly low one in New Orleans while on vacation and thump the ceiling clearance was too low by 3"... and there i was stuck , so stuck that i had to let the air out of the airbags and rear tires quite a bit to get out. Never again... AC shroud was messed up and AC dented.. never quite ran as good after that. Ive since replaced it with a Mach 1 PS.