My 1986 Toyota Itaska has perpetual leaking on both driver and passenger sides.  I can tell that up under the front corners of the floor behind the dash, it is slightly damp.  For those of you who have had similar issues, what is the order of prognostication you'd go through to determine the leak(s) source(s)?

We had leaks into the cab when we first bought our 85 Dolphin. My mechanic said he thinks 90% of all cab leaks on older vehicles are because of poorly-sealed windshields. Turns out he was right. A little silicone did the trick.

assuming you are not describing a clogged ac condensate drain, I would dry it out real good - get a helper and start outside with a garden hose - on low pressure starting low and move around slowly to see if you can ID an entry point.

I have the same issue in my cab, and after 3 years of ignoring it I'm going to now attempt to get to the bottom of it. I will keep you posted but I also suspect the windshield, or the hood, and not the floor itself.

Ours was rusted out behind the passenger side hood hinge - not accessible even when the wiper cowling between the hood and the windshield was removed.  I ended up using a 3" hole saw to cut a hole and applied a bunch of caulk to make a "dam" to keep water channeled to the drain where it was supposed to go before the rust occurred. The only real fix I could see would be to make an even bigger hole and weld in a repair..  The caulk dam works just fine, though, and was a lot easier and cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Stopped the leaks.  Took several weeks of trial and error.  But patience won the day as I took the advice of DanAtTheCape and sprayed a hose at very low pressure over every inch of the front end.  I began by putting silicone around windshield.  Here's the process I went through.  

1.  Isolated the leaks - coming from far upper right corners of cab along seam and from higher behind the dash.

2.  Silicone on windshield seams - no change.

3.  Dismantled wheel well plastic and marine epoxied all seams - some change.

4.  Took off hood - marine epoxied every seam behind engine block and under and around the windshield wiper housings; changed some gaskets - a little more change.

5.  Took out all the carpet and took out the electric boxes under the dash.  Then went over all seams, screw holes etc... with waterproof caulk and marine epoxy.  Then sprayed the entire floor and all the metal up as far as I could reach with Flexseal spray - several coats - no leaks!!

Right about that time the hurricane came through so I took her out and drove through torrents and nasty water holes on the road.  Took her onto the interstate - nothing!  Not a single damp spot.  

Thank you everyone!!

Great job. Man it can be frustrating tracking down stuff like that. I went through kind of the same thing with my 86 but it was passenger side only. resealed the windshield, cleaned out the cowl grill drain holes and it still leaked. Finally found all the water was coming in from the heater vent cable that comes through the side wall in front of the computer. Marine sealed around it and it's never leaked since. Soo much work to find that darn tiny leak and I don't mean darn

Linda S

Picture of hood and fender removal where I epoxied seams and also used "Brushable Seam Sealer" from the auto store.  Anyone reading this remember - I'm a pianist and a choir director.  Never done this before.  If I can do any of this, YOU can!!!

unnamed-4.jpg

• 1 month later...

thanks all, i just got my escaper and noticed water on driver side under mat ,

previous owner wants to know what i did to his baby , answer , i lifted the covering mat

now back to the  03-71  /  A43D  problem

• 4 years later...