Dometic 2400

hi. i have a RM 2400 Dometic fridge in a 1986 Sunrader and only the freezer gets slightly cold and the coils on the back are hot  

is this a candidate for the 24 hour flip method or the Amish rebuilt cooling unit replacement?

whats the chances of an old clogged fridge catching fire ?

Edited by RunningMan

I made the decision based on the fact that other than some muscle and sweat, flipping the fridge is free. For me it worked on the first try, others have had to do it more than once. Not sure I would want to spend the money on an Amish rebuild for a 30 year old fridge!

Do not  know about it catching fire?                                               Jim 

Some modern gas fridges did have a flammable mix Dometic recalled a bunch of them the old ones didn't. You can try turning it up side down but the only thing I can say is good luck. A cooling unit is a good deal cheaper than a new one. Try Linda's ideal a plugged up condenser will reduce it's cooling ability look for bees nest in the coils fins.

Put in a new cooling unit and you still have an old refrigerator with an old gas relay and thermostats and heaters. Lots left to go wrong, even with a new cooling unit. Now - if someone had a "rebuild program" that included an upgrade of all controls along with the cooling-unit - it would make sense.  Considering I see so many good working three-ways for sale used - often for less then $200 - I don't see the advantage to a new cooling unit.  Especially into a refrigerator that has many of the other parts no longer available.

I see deals like this almost on a daily basis.  I think the ones made in Japan, like this one, are better then the old Dometics. I've got two here and they've really taken a beating.  I've got one that a friend borrows for two months every summer to use at his remote camp. Never skipped a beat.  Seems shipping charges are what kills deals unless you live close enough to pick up in person.

refrigtraveler.jpg

I don't know I have seen plenty of 30+ year old gas fridges capable of freezing milk. I would repair mine if it went toes up and it's 26 years old.

I don't understand the reasoning. If you had a 30 year-old car that served you well, but now needs a new engine . . and most other parts are no longer available - you would put a new engine in it?   Note, I'm not talking about a classic or collector's item.  Let's say a 1985 Yugo.  Yes, it holds the world's record for being the only car that ever blew off the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. I think I'd buy a running used car for $500.  In the case of the refrigerator?  Many around working well and for sale cheap.

I might be in the minority but when faced with a non-functional fridge, I pulled the trigger and just got a new one.  5 years ago the 2 way Norcold was $800.  Just looked at the 3 way (wasn't sure of the squid outcome) is now at a grand.  I regret not buying the 3 way to begin with but a new fridge with a warranty, I never had to think twice about it.  One less thing in a 30 year old machine to worry about.  Did the same with the stove and toilet.  Even replaced that crappy plastic bathroom sink with stainless along with a bunch of other house systems.  This way the only issues I need to worry about are the mechanical ones. 

20 minutes ago, linda s said:

.I know dozens of people happy with their cooling unit repair and only 1 person who says other things are the main reason for not working. You

12 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Are you actually claiming that no Dometic three-way owners

To be fair, the quote in context is clear.

Edited by Back East Don

If you have a nice flame and it heats the boiler on both gas and electric it's likely that the only thing wrong is the cooling unit install a new one and use it for another 30 years. Yes I would put an engine in a perfectly good  older car except maybe a Yugo because at 40K it probably had 3 all ready.

45 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Yes I would put an engine in a perfectly good  older car except maybe a Yugo because at 40K it probably had 3 all ready.

Oddly enough, mostly when I've gotten to the point where a car needs an engine, it simply isn't worth the trouble or cost to replace it.  The closest I'd come is with a boat.  Very different though.  In a boat, the motor give out, you can't walk.    Unfortunately, like with these old RV's, resale isn't going to keep up with cost.   That is true with boats and RV's no matter what it is.  So like cars, they make lousy investments.

I've read through the thread.  Still don't know where the vitriol is coming from.

well for my 2 cents as long as it works on gas that is good enough for me. cant leave it pluged in at home anyway. and at full hookup I run it on gas that way if they have a power problem and I once had that happen. I switched it to gas ever since I just run it that way ,