Hi all, so I have a V6 3.0 '90 Winnebago Warrior, and it looks like many of the overheating threads on this forum are dealing with the same rig, I wonder if that's just a coincidence?  Anyways, I live in Phoenix, where cooling systems are tested to the max in the summertime.  My system runs fine in the heat putting around town without the AC on, it's only when I reach 55 - 60 on the highway, or turn on the AC, that my rig starts sitting right on the redline.  This is preventing me from leaving the valley of fire during the summer with my rig, so any help is greatly appreciated to get me out of here during the weekend.  So far I've done:
1.  New electric fan

2.  New radiator (cheap aluminum and plastic from Autozone, single core I think)

3. New radiator hoses

4.  Thermostat

I read through Sherrie's post with the same issue, but I didn't glean exactly what her problem ended up being, only that she added water wetter and it seemed to solve her problem.  Is the cheap aluminum and plastic radiator just insufficient for this climate and our unique rigs?  Is this the proper radiator for our application?:

https://www.amazon.com/CSF-Toyota-4Runner-Pickup-Radiator/dp/B000CFRKS8/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467592974&vehicle=1990-76-230-234-59--8--3992--9--2282--5-0&sr=1-11&ymm=1990%3Atoyota%3Apickup&keywords=radiator

I was also thinking it may be a weak or faulty water pump, but that's an expensive endeavor to just throw at it without knowing if it's the real problem.

Thanks!

Your rig came from Toyota with a 2 row radiator and that was before anyone slapped a house on the back. Yes yours is probably insufficient. Sherrie's problem got fixed after she had the system properly flushed. Every different mechanic  added different coolants and you can see from the jug she posted a picture of they didn't mixed well. Maybe you could use a new water pump. Way cheaper than a new engine

Linda S

I had a bit of a leak in my radiator when I bought the Toy.  Being a newbie I had some misconceptions and am definitely not a mechanic.  I am also frugal so started with a cheap plastic and aluminum single core radiator from the net. I also thought while I had it apart I would replace everything else, I had no idea how old the timing belt was and for the rest of the parts I went with ?? can't remember name but top of the line parts, timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses etc.  

I am frugal but have no desire to do the job twice or get stuck behind a tow truck cause I saved $20 on a water pump! But I stuck with the radiator because it is right out where it can be replace with little effort and there was a huge difference in price.  As I read I also found out that one row aluminum or 10 row copper and brass makes no difference.  It is surface area, a one row aluminum radiator can be a better heat exchanger than a 3 row OE radiator.  That may set off some Toyota purists, but facts is facts!

I am in Florida with no hills, but on 95 degree days with AC on my gauge sits on the cool side of the display. Now again I am not a mechanic and if I was having issues from what I have read the first thing I would want to know is what is the temp.  I'm looking at 22 year old gauge and sensor, wiring and connections, how accurate is it, what is near the red or on the cool side really?  I have checked mine with a tempature gun and while not 100% accurate I seem to be ok.

Another issue that seems to be common is thermostats, they must be installed right side up and aftermarket stats seem to cause many issues.  There are 100's of posts on the net claiming that replacing a aftermarket with Toyota OE stat solved problems,   internet myth, I don't know but I will not use an aftermarket stat!

If I were in your position I would start with burping the system and figuring out how to test gauge for accuracy, Then on to the thermostat. After which as much as it would break my cheap little heart I would go for a power flush.  Is the power flush superior, I don't know but it would make me feel like I had done the best I could. I know when I did my system I flushed and flushed and there was still stuff coming out!

My opinion and what I would do, not to be misconstrued as expert advice  Jim

Thanks for the replies.  I'll buy an OEM thermostat now, just because I'd hate for that to be the problem after dumping $1000 into the cooling system.  I'll start there with a proper flush, and report back.  I have a feeling that it's not the radiator because I had the same problem with the OEM radiator.  Also, it may be entirely possible that I can only do 45MPH on the highway and 35MPH on hills in the summer heat here, but I'm not willing to accept that quite yet.

I really hate to throw parts at a problem, just too many reports of this being an issue on the net.  There is a "jiggle" valve on an OE Toyota thermostat that must be in the right position to function properly. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot remember what that position is, hopefully someone else will chime in.    Jim  

I've been through the mill on this with my '91 Warrior since the fan shattered and took out the radiator and lots of other stuff last July. Had it towed to a shop in Laramie (roadside assistance insurance paid for itself for several years with that one event). They replaced the fan, shroud, fan clutch, radiator - about which I knew nothing other than it was a 3-row - and a couple hoses. Thereafter, it ran up toward too hot at almost any provocation. This year, I didn't want to start out in that same condition. Took it to the shop that does engine work for me. The fan clutch was not engaging the fan, and there were some odd noises coming from the front with coincident rhythmic vibrations. Replaced the fan clutch with a new Aisin, replaced the water pump, thermostat (not Toyota) and timing belt, which was being a little chewed up by a wonky installation and cheap parts used when the former owner rebuilt the engine 30,000 miles ago. Still overheated. Aaaagh. So: installed Toyota thermostat and CSF 2057 radiator, as suggested by Linda in one of Sherrie's overheating threads. Granted, it's not Phoenix hot here (ABQ) but it's pretty warm. I have three times driven it up Nine Mile Hill, going west from Albuquerque on I-40, pretty much the direst hill around if you don't want to drive the 35 miles to La Bajada heading to Santa Fe. My speed is 55-60, which is how I usually drive (until I hit the serious part of the hill and could only manage about 40) with the AC on for all except the harshest parts of the hill. Finally, it's operating as I expected: in the lower half of the gauge on a level or near-level (I checked engine temps when it was overheating to satisfy myself that the sending unit and gauge were OK) and a half-inch from the red bits on the uphill pull. So I will feel OK about taking it on the road North. Thanks to all who have made suggestions, this is a great forum. Mrlope, I wish you good luck, let us know how you proceed.

Dan  

Personal motto: "There must be a harder way". 

PS jiggle valve on the thermo goes in at 12 o'clock

Edited by DanRT66

I'm curious, based on people's experience, what kind of expectation should I have for running my Winnie in 105-degrees plus weather? 45mph with AC? 65mph with no AC? 35mph up hills with AC? 

I'm trying to decide if my expectations are too high for a 25-year old home on a little truck. Thanks for all the help, this truly is a great forum.

Not a real answer. But 1986 22re Escaper across the desert 65 mph AC on full blast. The only deal was a stop at Wal-Mart to pick up a shower curtain to hang from the overhead to cut down on the amount of space the cab air had to cool..

23 hours ago, Mrlope said:

I'm curious, based on people's experience, what kind of expectation should I have for running my Winnie in 105-degrees plus weather? 45mph with AC? 65mph with no AC? 35mph up hills with AC? 

I'm trying to decide if my expectations are too high for a 25-year old home on a little truck. Thanks for all the help, this truly is a great forum.

I generally run 55-60 mph on the level, and that will get me around 15 mpg with intermittent AC use and a blanket hung behind the seats to reduce the cooling area. Uphill, or into a headwind, you take what you can get, minding the heat level and so on, and I don't use AC on uphills. Some times I can take hills at 45 or so, but some of them slow me down farther, seldom below 35. You may lead the parade uphill, but most people are fairly good about it. YMMV, literally and figuratively.