Car battery discharging when camper is plugged in

Thomas Kemper

This is an issue which makes no sense to me.  One trip across town, and my auto battery is drained to 25%.  Now, you would think that I just have an electrical issue under the hood, but... once I am parked and plugged in to electricity, and the battery is charged back up on the charger, by the end of the day, it seems that the AC has drained the battery, and so I charge it overnight with the same result.  I have tried this several times.  It's brand new, so it's not a bad battery.  And I had the same issue with the battery I replaced.  I do have a solar panel which runs just the interior lights, but I have tried to run my little house both with the converter off, and with it on.  Same result.  And even if I were to power everything down and see if the battery discharges... that's not possible, is it?  I mean, if nothing is running, the battery should not drain, right?  It should also be said that I have a 4000 watt generator on the back which powers the AC as we roll.

I'm scratching my head over this.  I'm gearing up for a trip across country, and I can't afford to be breaking down.  I want everything in working order before we leave.

Any ideas?

OK, I'm confused by the terminology. Are you talking about the truck battery or the house battery??

The truck battery has NOTHING to do with the "RV house" It should not be connecter to your house converter/charger. UNLESS you have a high dollar dual converter/charger.

Is your truck alternator working properly?? Do you have more that 13.5 v dc at the truck battery with the engine running??   

8 hours ago, Thomas Kemper said:

it seems that the AC has drained the battery, and so I charge it overnight with the same result. 
Any ideas?

You've got me confused too.  Define "AC."   Do you mean "air conditioning" or "alternating current?"    How does either have anything to do with a 12 volt DC battery?  Also which battery is going dead?  The battery that cranks over your engine or that powers the coach appliances?

• 1 month later...

Well, guys, I am talking about the truck battery and the air conditioner, but I do have to replace my alternator, it turns out.  But I don't have a high-dollar converter that I know of.  I don't get notifications for these posts, for some reason, so it looks like I'm a little late to the party here.

I should mention that I'm a first-time owner, and I've been learning this truck a little at a time.  One thing I'm a bit confused about — for one thing, the lights inside the camper are run by solar, and I am afraid that when I get to Oregon, I am going to lose my lights in here.  Not much sun to be had there.  And the solar only runs the lights and the water-pump.  I have no electrical outlets powered by it.  — But the thing I am confused about is that I do have a converter in the compartment where I connect my electricity to the house or space I'm in.  I realize that the plug I am using goes to the breaker-box, and this makes sense.  But why would I have a power-converter on board?  I've never used it because I don't know why it's there.

In the meantime, I haven't been having the issue I seemed to be having before.  I only lose juice from my truck battery when I start the truck, which is, of course, the alternator (being replaced tomorrow).  But I'm really uncertain about the things above.  The converter, and my solar powering the lights.  I have a generator which runs to the breaker box, but when I flip those breakers on, do you think the camper lights are being powered by the generator (or the power cord that runs to outside electricity), or is it only the solar which runs them?  And how can I tell?

Otherwise, I'm pretty good in here.  I'm just in my driveway, at this point, but I'm heading out the first of September to spend three weeks going to Oregon.  I'm going to have to be totally on it by then.  Clock's ticking...

Dolphin portrait.jpg

The solar should have no effect on how the converter works or is wired in.  There is a "power center" and there is also a "converter" that is usually part of that power center.  The power center holds the AC breakers and it is where any alternating current hooks up (from shore-power, grid, generator, etc.).   It is that AC current that then goes to the converter - where if turned "on" - converts 120 volts AC into 12-14  volts DC.  If there is solar power - that just gets hooked to the "house" battery, just as your converter does.  

The old  converters turned off the battery connection to the camper when plugged in so yes to some extent it does matter how the solar is wired.

22 hours ago, Maineah said:

The old  converters turned off the battery connection to the camper when plugged in so yes to some extent it does matter how the solar is wired.

I did NOT say it  never "matters." I stated (and I quote myself) . . .  "If there is solar power - that just gets hooked to the "house" battery."

If it IS hooked to the house-battery as I stated, it makes no difference if the converter is "on" or "off."

45 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I did NOT say it  never "matters." I stated (and I quote myself) . . .  "If there is solar power - that just gets hooked to the "house" battery."

If it IS hooked to the house-battery as I stated, it makes no difference if the converter is "on" or "off."

Yep but if connected to the converter the solar won't help charge the battery. It's pretty much a non issue but it should be connected to the battery side.

Again - I never said anything about being "connected to the converter." I said "hooked to the battery."  That being said, if I wanted, I could easily hook solar to the main house-battery lead at the converter/power-center and it would still work, regardless if "off" or "on."  Just depends where you tap into.