1976 Chinook (purchase advice)

Logan

Hello!

new to the board but I've been searching for the right Chinook for some time now.

this one came up yesterday, it's a 5 hour drive for me, but they don't come up often in my area so I'm willing to go the distance. 

Was just curious on any thoughts and advice anybody might have before I go and purchase it.

$2000 usd  = $2600 cad (which is what I'm paying )

less than 100,000 miles , everything works, no smoke, no oil leaks, no water leaks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Not a bad looking rig. How on earth can anyone verify it has less then 100K miles I wonder?  Body rust is the main issue I look for.  It used to be claimed that the Japanese metal of the time had rust built right into it and maybe that is true?   I know this. Once they really start rusting, there is no good way to fix. Mild rust here and there is a different issue.  My 1978 Chinook came from Louisiana and had rust along the bottom frame of the windshield but none under the truck.  I'd check closely underneath. If clean, fine. If a lot of rusty under there - I would not buy at that price.   As far as the coach goes - fiberglass is an easy fix. I'd make sure the floor is flat, sideways, all the way across. It's something very hard to fix once a Chinook floor starts to "slump" at the outward edges. It is made of a sort of honeycomb cardboard called "Vericel."  Strong and light until it gets moisture in it.  The Chinook roof is held up by steel supports they run down the sides and attach to that Vericel.

On a side-note - many people are scared of those propane furnaces with the right-angle chimney. I'm not - but figured I'd mention it in support of those that lose sleep over the setup.

Thanks for the response! I Appreciate it.

hoping to get out there tomorrow, will check for all things mentioned.

good to know about the fibreglass I wasn't sure. 

Have never seen the furnaces but I'm not usually one to worry about things like that either hah.. 

Will be back with update..

cheers!