The 2016 July Generator Challenge!

Thank you all for recommendations. Very much appreciated. My wife loves the desert so it is very likely we would use a generator when off grid to power the AC. Problem I have is in area I live very few used inverters are available for sale and not real discount. So I may have to go for new. At least they have some waranty for rookies like me ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Harbor Freight no longer makes the generator used in this challenge on my combo...they decided to make a honda eui2000 clone that wont run rooftops and only does 2000/1600 watt outputs. SO for those looking to start non power saver roof top units you have better go big or find a used 2500.

Below is a picture of the wimpy HF honda clone. avoid it if running 13500/11000 BTU roof AC is your goal.

Edited by Totem

Its been mentioned to me that some HFs still stock the 2500 predator.. its orange in color and weighs considerably more than the 47 lbs. red one depicted above and is shown in my photos above on the back bumper of my sunrader. THAT one should work long with a hard start cap.

Edited by Totem

• 1 month later...

No "challenge" here.  Just reporting my first Harbor Freight generator problem.  Not an inverter generator, either.  We had to take a trip down "south" to Traverse City, Michigan.  They have a real, walk-in Harbor Freight store there.  THAT is a big deal to me since it is the such only store I've ever seen.  They had their Predator 8750 watt (surge) genset for sale for $530.   Looks like a great bargain to me.   It is heavy!  Anyway, got it home.  Decided to run it for half a day on gasoline and then convert it to propane.   So that's what I did.   Makes perfect AC power at 122 volts.   A DC power port makes 13.5 volts.   I then checked charge voltage to the cranking battery is it was 16.2 volts.  WAY too high.  It would burn up that little motorcycle battery pretty fast.  So I called HF tech. Seems they have no better tech info then I do on this generator.  They offered to just swap me a different generator.  That would mean a 300 mile round-trip for me. No thanks.  So they said they'd look into it.  Got back to me late yesterday after probably calling someone in China.  They say I need a new AVR and it will take 10 weeks to get one to me.   THAT is quite a wait.   But - it's not like I cannot use the genset without it.  All I have to do is start it and then unhook the battery.  So we'll see.  I bet very few people who buy these things even think to check battery charge voltage.  So for all I know, every other generator in the store has the same problem.  Maybe that's why a 10 week wait. Maybe they have to come up with a revised regulator.   I am installing this as permanent backup power for my house.

hf generator.jpg

Here is what I bought for a generator. I'm in the process of mounting it in the compartment right now. I know it's not "designed" for that however I've modified it. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Basically I took some roof flashing for a chimney cut it to fit over the exhaust exit (air flows over mufflers and exhaust comes out). Bought 2 feet of 1 inch flexible exhaust tubing at a local engine shop. Bought some longer screws used aluminum tape since the gasket they made for the vent cover doesn't seal tight with the exhaust chamber that air flows through. Took a piece of 3/8 foil foam insulation as a gasket between the vent cover and roof flashing. Cut a hole in the side of my generator compartment. On the intake side I drilled a bunch of  holes and mounted a PC fan which is on a switch allowing me to keep it on after the generator is shutdown to vent the remaining heat. I then bought a 1.5 inch rubber pvc pipe cover put a 1/4 elbow and 1/4 -5/16 line fitting which will run back to a 5 gallon can of gas. The vacuum created by the sucking of fuel causes more fuel to be drawn in making it run longer and don't have to take it out to refuel.

I have not run it on a day over 80's yet but it had no issue running my roof Colemen Mach one A/C and fridge at the same time. Inverter and A/C trips the breaker on A/C cycle. My A/C has 3 caps in it not sure what they are all for but hard start is defiantly one of them maybe they all are?

http://apelectric.com/all-generators/portable-generators-800-17-500w/westinghouse-portable-generators/westinghouse-explorer-series-wh2400i-2400w-digital-inverter-generator/

Edited by zulandio

JDE, maybe you can just put a blocking diode to regulate the voltage; most can be ordered fairly cheaply on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

I know that harbor freight you got that generator at well and actually have relatives (in law ones mind you) that work there.

They've always been good to me, however i always physically go there. My experience with HF on things like this is this: if you can get to one you are good. If you need to wait on a part to ship you may just be waiting a very long time.

Fortunately for me, my generators are all pull start but if i had to lower voltage I would look to a diode, resistor divider or regulator to get the job done - and that's if I couldn't wait 10 weeks using pull start.

On 8/5/2016 at 9:33 PM, linda s said:

I like that it fit between the hitch carrier and the camper. Didn't know that's where you put it. Got to look at mine with the carrier on again. Same one you have. Was wondering how I could fit a generator and still get my boat on the carrier. Think this might work

Linda S

note, I did have the guys at my work drill press another set of holes into my hitch hauler so that i can select varying depths with the hitch pin how much that hauler protrudes. I have a hole drilled such that it cradles the generator.. so you might have to do the same to get same results.

Good to know. I'm waiting to hear how that Westinghouse generator works for Zulandio. Sounds pretty interesting. Very light, quiet and low cost, plus it looks like it has more internal cooling fans than most portable gen sets.

Linda S

JD just use a small charger on 120 skip the generators battery charger it will be making 120/240 any way as long as it's running.

jd just use a small charger 

11 hours ago, Maineah said:

JD just use a small charger on 120 skip the generators battery charger it will be making 120/240 any way as long as it's running.

jd just use a small charger 

Yes, you think like I do in this case.  It's just going to be a house back-up unit so a battery with a small maintainer will work fine.  Just irks me a little since the generator is brand new. But some day they'll be sending me a new regulator and I will likely never install it.