Inverter not turning on, no led lights/indication

systematical

Hey all, just purchased 1990 Toyota v6 Motorhome, not sure on the RV manufacturer/model. Anyways it has 2, 100 watt solar panels feeding into 2 deep cycles then into an inverter. The batteries were reading 14v from my multi-meter and I'm thinking it was that high cause they were taking in a charge from the panels. The inverter is a Trace 2012SB and when I tap the power button twice I get nothing (i dug up the manual here http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/971-9901-03-01.pdf). This inverter is old AF (I think i saw an inspection note inside it saying 1991) and I think the company is long gone. Can't find any fuses on the sucker so no idea on that.

Anyways what trouble shooting steps should I take here? Maybe I ought to just take this to an electronics shop and see if they can test it? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by systematical
more descriptive title

9 hours ago, systematical said:

HThis inverter is old AF (I think i saw an inspection note inside it saying 1991) and I think the company is long gone. Can't find any fuses on the sucker so no idea on that.

Anyways what trouble shooting steps should I take here? Maybe I ought to just take this to an electronics shop and see if they can test it? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Xantrex isn't gone.  Went from Trace to Xantrex and I think now is part of Sneider Electric. Some of the Xantrex employees also started their own company called "Outback."

I still have my old DR2412 that is not much different then your's.  2000-3000 watt mod-wave inverter and built in battery charger that will NOT hardly work at all with portable generators (this was a problem).

A few years after your's was built, Xantrex stopped making them like that.  Newer ones have sine-wave inverters and fully electronic chargers that DO work with portable generators. 

If you have at least 11 volts DC at the input and it won't turn on - either a fuse is blown or it's junk. Mine has fuses.  You can buy a brand new mod-wave 2000 watt (4000 watt surge)  inverter (with no charger) for $130 so fixing the old unit is hardly worth it.  The old Trace/Xantrex units like you and I have we known for handling big starting loads.  That because their 2000 watt inverter was more like a 3000 watt and it could handle a 6000 watt surge-load.

http://www.xantrex.com/about-xantrex/overview.aspx

A few added comments.  Your old inverter/charger weighs 40 lbs.  A new 1200 or 1500 watt mod-wave inverter only weighs 3.5 lbs.  A new 1200 or 1500 watt sine-wave inverter only weighs 10 lbs.  I cannot imagine having anything in an RV that a cheaper and lighter mod-wave won't run. I suggest if you DO buy new - watch out for BS advertising, like Honda does with their so-called "2000 watt" generator that is only a 1600 watt generator.  Many inverters are marketed by their surge-rating instead of their real-world use rating.   A true 1200 or 1500 watt inverter with a 2000-3000 watt surge rating is likely more then you could ever use in your RV.  One BIG thing to watch for is how the cooling fan runs.  The cheap inverters have fans that run all the time and will drive you nuts if used inside an RV. The better ones have thermal-activated fans that pretty-much never come on.   I have an AIMs mod-wave in one of my RVs and a Ramsond Sunray sine-wave in another.   Both great units. But so were the Trace/Xantrex in their time.  Note I still have a Harbor Freight 2000/4000 watt mod-wave I got over 12 years ago for $99 and it still works great.  That has the thermally activated fan.  Last year I got another 2000/4000 from Harbor Freight on sale for $129 and it's been cheapened and has a fan that runs constantly. If I had known, I never would of gotten it.  I clipped the wired and deactivated that fan.

aims inverter1.jpg

aims inverter2.jpg

ramsond sunray 1500.jpg

Check the fuses first if the battery was connected backwards for even an instant it will take out both fuses.

Thanks for the replies. Its a little too hot out to be working in that sucker so I'll take a look later tonight. Didn't see a fuse at first glance, but will check again. Hopefully thats it else I'll just buy a new one like others have suggested.

Edited by systematical