91 Warrior - Norcold Roof Vent

Ctgriffi

I realized recently that (like nearly everything else!) my refrigerator roof vent is pretty well thrashed and needs replacing. It looks like it's been sealed around the base countless times, and I have my doubts that it's watertight even now. Also, the vent cap is so brittle, I almost put my hand clear through it the other day.

I ordered this vent base and cap off of Amazon because one of the reviewers mentioned that it had fit her Minnie Winnie perfectly, and because I know my rig has the Norcold fridge too. So, I just received the cap in the mail today, and it looks huge and long! I guess I'll have a better idea when the base gets here, but does anybody know if I've possibly taken a wrong turn...?

I seem to remember a few years back someone else having a problem finding a roof vent for their fridge. The base show the cutout size. Did you measure yours? That would be the first thing. As long as you can install the base the top just snaps into it. Post measurements and I will look around

Linda S

7 hours ago, jjrbus said:

As long as the base is as large or larger than the opening in the roof I see no issue with it.

Thanks for the help, both of you.

Yeah, I think it'll definitely be as large or larger... If it's bigger, I'm concerned that I might have to enlarge the roof opening, which I'm not excited about. Or, maybe it just sits on top and screws down, so it doesn't matter if it's a little bigger than the hole?

Base should arrive this afternoon.

Now keep in mind I am just another idiot with a hammer, no heat transfer, thermodynamics degrees or anything.  If it was me and the new cap was slightly larger I would add it and screw it down. If it was smaller I would use duk tape and bondo with bailing wire. Kidding, I probably would look for a bigger one.

Jim

When I re-did my roof, I decided to replace everything up top.  I spent far too much time trying to find exactly the same vent and base till I wised up and just ordered a base and cover that was at least from the same manufacturer and as a pair.   I just made sure it was at least large enough to cover the hole.  It ended up too long but about the same width.  Works just fine as the hole size for air movement is still the same.

Well, live and learn...sheesh.

The base/cap I purchased are not really going to work. They're plenty long enough but just a shade too narrow. So, brand/make of vent is basically totally irrelevant—what I needed was a base big enough to fit the cut-out on my roof, like Don mentioned above. My cutout: 20"L x 6-1/4" W.

This one looks like it'll fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3311236-000-Cap-Base-Vent/dp/B00BUBQP7A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1465069367&sr=8-8&keywords=RV+fridge+vent

The Dometic cap/base was a decent fit, and I'm pretty happy with it. The bright white color clashes a bit with the beige exterior of my rig, but it's on the roof... so, who cares?

• 5 years later...

When I got my Warrior, The refrigerator vent was cracked, and had a hole the size of a baseball in it.   I repaired it with fiberglass cloth, and resin.  it's stronger than original, and looks like a new one.