Stripes

davidtan

Can you put the stripping tape on top of the old faded ones???I'm thinking that the old ones are to infused into the fiberglass and I will make a mess trying to get them off. All suggestions appreciated. Best

Just get a pinstripe eraser wheel. It is not difficult to use. It will take the old pinstripe off without harming your finish. You will want to use a corded drill motor to power it, not a battery powered drill motor. There are plenty of videos on youtube that will show you how to use the eraser wheel.

Going over the old strip, not a great idea, any flaws in it might show up by having an uneven surface on the new stripe. Or if the new stripe is a different width those edges from the old tape will show as well. Plus if some areas of the old tape are not well secured then the new tape will also not be well secured in those areas

Edited by snail powered

i bought one of the eraser wheels also when redoing a boat i used to own.

Ive since used it several times to remove bumper stickers, huge decals you name it not only off of fiberglass but car body panels, and even off plastic cowls for snowmobiles and 4 wheelers.

the best part about removing the old pin stripes is that the fiberglass underneath them will be shiny new; and protected you will in fact find the the new pin strip will probably adhere best to that portion of the surface; make sure to go with a new stripe that's larger than the old and it should turn out awesome with very little work or tools. when applying stripe work carefully slowly and use a squeegee to push out bubbles if possible. use razor blade on excess.