How many manufacturers used the Toyota?

StevenJT

I'm enjoying my exploration of the toy home history. Somewhere I read that over 30 manufacturers built on the Toyota, is there a complete list online?

Just saw this Pontiex on Craigslist https://lansing.craigslist.org/rvs/5610423695.html

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 2016-05-31 at 6:22 AM, linda s said:

I have seen stick built Pont-X but they were larger tag axle models. This one looks to be about an 18 footer. Always neat to see ones I didn't know about.

Linda S

I too have often wondered if there is a list of motorhome manufactures that used Toyota chassis' -- Has anyone compiled such a list?    Donnie

I've never seen a complete list anywhere. I say that because no matter how complete a list looks, I wind up coming across a Toyota RV that is not on that list. I suspect this Website has a pretty good mention of most that used Toyotas on their intro page.   That list is . . . " Belair, Blue Marlin, Chinook, Coachman, Conquest, Dolphin, Durango, Encore, Escaper, Granville, GULF STREAM, Heritage, Huntsman, Itasca, Keystone, Mirage, MRV, New Horizon, Odyssey, Seabreeze, Sunland, Sunrader, Travelmaster, TRT, Vader, and Winnebago ."

Besides those, I know there were several makes from Canada not mentioned.  Also  Cal Camper, R.B.R., New Word, Shasta, Bonanza Travelers, Sterner, Okanagan, Perris Valley, Sandtana, Roll-A-Long, Sand Pak, Sun Line, etc. I'm sure a few more I am forgetting at the moment.

Thanks Maris for the list of motorhomes, many that were new to me.. I also enjoy reading the articles that you post about the older more obscure ones that were not mainstream.

What year did Toyota pull the plug on the industry?   I am now adding to my collection of old drag car  magazines....... a search for motorhomes from the past..

Cheap to collect & fun to read..  I have a lot of Bus Trader  mags. from my old "Bus Daze"....  but not much motorhome.. thanks again, donnie

15 minutes ago, Donnie said:

What year did Toyota pull the plug on the industry?

The last Toyota 1-Ton C&Cs for North America was 1993. You'll see a few (seem to be mainly Winnebago) that were built and sold as 1994s on leftovers.

Toyota Motorhomes are still being built elsewhere. Seems to be mainly Australia.

2 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Thanks Maris for the list of motorhome's, many that were new to me.. I also enjoy reading the articles that you post about the older more obscure ones that were not mainstream.

What year did Toyota pull the plug on the industry?   I am now adding to my collection of old drag car  magazines....... a search for motorhme's from the past..

Cheap to collect & fun to read..  I have a lot of Bus Trader  mags. from my old "Bus Daze"....  but not much motorhome.. thanks again, donnie

Toyota stopped selling the HD Hilux in the USA after 1994.  They still sell the Hilux in much of the rest of the world.  Still has the 5 lug wheels and semi-floating rear like was used on the USA Toyota RVs before 1986. No "recalls" or bad axle rants" in the rest of the world.  No add-on dually kits however.  Just single wheels in back and no huge offset strain put on the axles.  Up to 2004 or 2005, many of those HD Hilux trucks still had single 14" tires in the rear too - with GVWRs of 6800 lbs.  I don't know what Toyota thinks in the collective sense - but I suspect they decided the USA consumer was not to be trusted with their HD Hilux. Too much abuse. Heck,  after all these years, Toyota is still being blamed for axle failures in RVs and none of that was ever their fault.

One added note about Toyota.  They may be the only auto company that ever took part in the design and manufacture of a mini-micro RV.  That was with the "Round Tripper" or "Chinook" in 1972.  The entire project almost got cancelled because of the problems Toyota had with the US Federal government with weight and safety issues.  Toyota tried to release it in late 1972 as a "truck with a camper."  Being called that instead of a motorhome made the rules more lax.  But the Feds jumped in and said "NO, it's a motorhome."  As a result - Toyota had to strip the first models to make them legal for sale.   Propane tank was removed, metal sink changed to plastic, heater removed, etc.   Shortly after - Toyota redesigned the entire truck and by 1975 - was capable of carrying more weight.  It was even rated for pulling a 1000 lb. trailer.

Here is some info on the 2004 HD Hilux.  I find it amazing how much info Toyota puts into the coach-builder's manual for people in the rest of the world.  Lots of information on how to safely weld on the frame. How to add rear hitches, etc. Not the kind of stuff they ever put in the North American coach-builder's guides.

Image8.jpg

Image20.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg