I have decided to take the plunge!

Berticus

My apartment complex told me I can not park the new toy here. :blink: (It's a bit ghetto fore sure, they are afraid someone will live in it.) The good news is my friend from college said I could park/live  in his backyard for $200 a month for the next year! (includes wifi, electric, and water) Sa'weet! My lease is up in 2 months... that means I have $1000 a month to put into my machine.
I own a smart car for the daily driver... so I am having the Engine, transmission, drive train and clutch on the new machine, all restored to 2016 standards. I also found a RV collision/restore company that is 6 blocks from my new residence. What I can't do... they sure the hell can!. 

So let the full restoration begin!

I will post before and after pics of every step along the way.

P.S. I am 50yrs old and have no kids... I am going to spend the cash even though I know I will never get it back!...
it is going to be and for, my pleasure. :D

Edited by Berticus

Full-timing (living in your MH) takes a lot of adjustments in life style. Is your friend going to allow you to cook, shower and do laundry in his home? Where are you going to sleep while your MH is in the shop being fixed? Will your friend allow you to use his address for DMV registration purposes? What happens if your friends neighbors complain to the city, or heaven forbid you run afoul of a HOA?

Remember, your toy is 39 years old. You will chew up that $1K a month in no time. Tires alone will run close to that.

It can be done. I was a full-timer for over 3 years. You will have to take off the rose colored glasses. It takes a lot of work and sacrifice to maintain that lifestyle.

Some of my best times full timing in my RV were in peoples backyards, I had a couple sweet setups. I also had a 35 foot motor home with 100 gal holding tanks.  The only downside is not getting too comfortable,  depending on the neighbors and zoning you may have to move at any time.  According to federal housing guidelines all neighborhoods must have at least one person that is a malcontent, complaining idiot, if one is not present one is issued :rolleyes:

The only time it happened to me was in NY I had to move my motor home from in front to behind the barn where it was not visible from the road. My friend got ticked and we put a nice setup back there, large gravel pad, 30 amp service, water. There was a sewer line running across the back of his property so even that worked out as I had a macerator pump!  Only downside I could not move out of there when the ground was wet, my bus would sink. A macerator might work for you, one can be made from a garbage disposal, that can be a bit dicey depending on your friend and neighbors. I only pumped mine at night.  

Good luck   Jim

The neighbors are not a problem as the house is zoned as a dwelling and business.  The backyard is in fact partial parking lot. I will be tucked away behind the house. and the buildings on both sides are businesses that no one lives in. My rig is a micro RV at 17' long and 10' high. I still work full time, so it will be used mainly for sleeping while I restore it.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

Is your friend going to allow you to cook, shower and do laundry in his home? Where are you going to sleep while your MH is in the shop being fixed?

Yes to all the above. and I am sure one of my bandmates or current girlfriend would let me stay a night or two (a week) while any major repairs are being done.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

. You will have to take off the rose colored glasses. It takes a lot of work and sacrifice to maintain that lifestyle.

I feel I have taken the rose colored glasses off...
I am tired of the system... I know it sounds cliche... but its true... I am paying $1200 a month for a nice two bedroom apt in the suburbs. I don't need this much space, I don't need this much stuff. I have spent this whole 3day weekend getting rid of all the useless crap. I don't own things they own me, time for them to go. I have no debt and nor do I want to acquire anymore. I plan on seeing all the lower 48 and Alaska over the next 5 years. So now is the time to jump in and to work on the rig. Life takes a lot of work and sacrifice to maintain. I am putting my energy into something that I can live in and travel with, instead of just renting a box  and filling it up with unnecessary crap.

I spent 20years as a broke musician in rock'n'roll bands. I have spent a lot of time cramped up in tour vans on the road with three other smelly dudes going from city to city on small three to four state self funded tours. (I loved every minute of it) It's time to get back on the road, only this time I am trading in my guitars and amps for cameras and fishing gear.

3 hours ago, jjrbus said:

According to federal housing guidelines all neighborhoods must have at least one person that is a malcontent, complaining idiot, if one is not present one is issued.                                                                                                                                                   

Haha! nice

Edited by Berticus

Many areas across the US have codes and zoning against living in a RV.  All you need is one person who does not like what you are doing and call. 

It is rare for a code enforcer to go out randomly and look for violations so you should be ok on that end.

I stayed all over for 10 years in mine with only the one minor issue. 

Time to get rid of the Smart car and buy a van, so you have a mobile shed.       Jim

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

Time to get rid of the Smart car and buy a van, so you have a mobile shed.    

I will definitely keep that in mind.