New 1981 Sunrader Diesel Owner

cdt5058

Just now, linda s said:

Why is it plexiglass

Linda

If it was originally glass, they broke it and replaced it with their crappy DIY window.

Edited by 256bit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, linda s said:

Why is it plexiglass

All of my Sunrader's windows are plexiglass, for what it's worth.

@256bit - That reminds me - I need to remove the paint & other crap off of my windows in the rear.

1 minute ago, cdt5058 said:

All of my Sunrader's windows are plexiglass, for what it's worth.

@256bit - That reminds me - I need to remove the paint & other crap off of my windows in the rear.

Didn't come that way. Only the front windows on the west coast models were plexi

Linda S

35 minutes ago, linda s said:

Didn't come that way. Only the front windows on the west coast models were plexi

That makes a lot of sense - the fresh water tank, water heater, pump, etc on the passenger side was all MIA when I purchased the rig. I've got to map out all the plumbing & read the forums in the next couple of weeks before I install the fresh water tank, heater, pump, & outdoor shower in the next few months.

Although, I need to be wary of the forums because I see everyone else's modifications & renovations and get more project ideas...

• 2 weeks later...

I need a little bit of help from the community here. I'm looking at replacing a few components under the hood with my local mechanic back home.

Does anyone know anything about the gas gauge? Mine for some reason is stuck on Empty - even after a full tank fill up.
What about the door locking mechanisms? The driver side door get 'stuck' and cannot unlock/lock - which jams the door shut.
Anyone know where I can find the Factory Service Manual or wiring diagram for this truck/engine? We're looking at replacing the water pump.

Thanks!
-Cory

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2017 at 3:37 PM, linda s said:

Sending unit for gauge

Graphite for lock

There must be Toyota diesel groups. Such a rare bird. Bet they know

Linda S 

Luckily the lock seemed to fix itself. :rolleyes:

I left it at the shop to get a few minor adjustments under the hood - new water pump, timing belt, alternator belt adjustment, & new coolant.

On Labor Day weekend, I spent the majority of my time focusing on cutting a hole in the rear fiberglass for a water heater vent. This proved to be wayyyyyy more difficult than I ever expected. As previously stated, my windows are all Lexan/plastic in the rear - when I purchased it, there was no water heater, fresh water tank, or water pump. On top of that, there appeared to be newer fiberglass mat in the passenger-side rear. Some other smaller improvements from that weekend included cutting some quarter round for the flooring, mapped out existing plumbing (and broken/repaired pipes), and connect sink with a downpipe.

This past weekend, I went back to work on the camper all weekend once more. This time it felt like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was finally able to finish the electrical control panel install by adding the solar controller, shut off switch, and solar power meter. (I peaked around 8 amps in Ohio!) After finalizing the control panel, I installed two 100W Renogy Solar Panels on the overcab roof to power the house. As well as hooked up the water pump and water heater to switches. Everything else was properly fused and the wiring was cleaned up with Zip Ties and wire clips. I also cleaned, polished, and waxed the camper with a Meguiars kit and my newly acquired buffer. This also allowed me to fix some gel coat spiderwebbing. The propane system was also finalized by connecting the water heater, stove top, heater, and adding an On/Off valve to where the fridge connection was. My thought was that this On/Off would allow us to connect a standalone grill outside the camper to cook on. Luckily, my mom has been willing to help out when she can - so, she helped finish the quarter round for the flooring and sew the rear curtains.

Upon getting all the electrical sorted, I tried to follow this post about adding a separate inverter/mini-freezer, but I wound up overloading the 12V Stabilizer and need to figure out what to do from here...

Once those items were completed, I needed to reinstall the passenger seat since I was driving my sibling back to Pittsburgh in the camper.

If you all are interested in seeing my backlog of work and whats up next, you can follow along with my progress here.

With the only major project being the plumbing, a possible shakedown trip to Allegheny National Forest is in store in the forthcoming month.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you all have.

-Cory

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg