The next hair brained idea, rear generator box

2 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

There are plenty of portable generators around just as quiet as  Honda.  You have to compare apples to apples though, and not a  true 2000 watt generator against a 1600 watt generator like a Honda 2000i.   But if the key factor for buying is so it's easy to pick up - well?  What can I say?  There are no magic generators on the market yet that I know of.

I suspect some of the knock off's are not putting out what they are rated at? I have yet to see any serious testing.       Jim SW FL

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I suspect some of the knock off's are not putting out what they are rated at? I have yet to see any serious testing.       Jim SW FL

I tested my Honeywell 2000i and it absolutely puts out 2000 watts continuous, just as rated.  I've also started loads that pulled 2400 watts with it.  A Honda 2000i cannot do that.

I've only had one inverter-generator so far that did not put out as rated. That is an ETQ inveter 1800i.  It can barely sustain 1200 watts.

I know the Honda 2000i puts out as they rate it. Just so happens Honda rates it at 1600 watts, not 2000 watts like the "2000i" name suggests.

As far a big weight advantage with the Honda being easier to carry?  The Honda 2000i weighs 46 lbs. and has a 99 cc motor.  My Honeywell 2000i has a 125 cc motor and weighs 50 lbs.  Somehow I think it is worth suffering that extra 4 lbs. to have 400 more watts of power and many hundreds of dollars less in purchase price.  I know several people that own the Harbor Freight Predator 2500 watt inverter-generator and I know that it puts out its rated power too.  2200 watts continuous and 2500 watts surge. That one weighs 64 lbs.

13 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I tested my Honeywell 2000i and it absolutely puts out 2000 watts continuous, just as rated.  I've also started loads that pulled 2400 watts with it.  A Honda 2000i cannot do that.

I've only had one inverter-generator so far that did not put out as rated. That is an ETQ inveter 1800i.  It can barely sustain 1200 watts.

I know the Honda 2000i puts out as they rate it. Just so happens Honda rates it at 1600 watts, not 2000 watts like the "2000i" name suggests.

As far a big weight advantage with the Honda being easier to carry?  The Honda 2000i weighs 46 lbs. and has a 99 cc motor.  My Honeywell 2000i has a 125 cc motor and weighs 50 lbs.  Somehow I think it is worth suffering that extra 4 lbs. to have 400 more watts of power and many hundreds of dollars less in purchase price.  I know several people that own the Harbor Freight Predator 2500 watt inverter-generator and I know that it puts out its rated power too.  2200 watts continuous and 2500 watts surge. That one weighs 64 lbs.

I have not paid much attention to the others as I am happy with the Honda. I may sell the Honda as it has been sitting with occasional usage for a few years, so maybe time for a new one.  Even the Magical Unicorn cannot stave off the ravages of time.  

Guess I should put some effort into checking out the other contenders in the market.    I have read some negatives on the HF predators, much nosier than claimed and maxing out at 1900 watts. I am of the mindset that Harbor Freight electrical tools are disposables, so unlikely to buy a Preditor.     And Generac, I could not bring myself to buy a Generac!

The first test is to check if there are replacement parts available for anything I am researching.         Jim

OK back to the sound problem. How about an external box over each grill with the inlet facing down. Maybe 4" deep. lined with foam.

6 minutes ago, WME said:

OK back to the sound problem. How about an external box over each grill with the inlet facing down. Maybe 4" deep. lines with foam.

Anything that makes the sound turn will help, how much I do not know?   Of course if you turn it down with a box why not take it one step farther extend the box down a bit and then exhaust out the side instead of down?   Could make a quick mock up with cardboard and duk/masking tape to see what effect it would have.    Like my picture above, where I noted with lots of space, but outside the box instead of inside.        Jim

Down bounces the sound off the ground and stops it there. (unless its concrete)

3 minutes ago, WME said:

Down bounces the sound off the ground and stops it there. (unless its concrete)

Not so good if you are in a dusty, sandy area. 

Sound doesn't make dust fly. A chunk of old carpet will stop the airflow from making dust.

Besides what are you going to do about the wind?.

7 hours ago, WME said:

Sound doesn't make dust fly. A chunk of old carpet will stop the airflow from making dust.

Besides what are you going to do about the wind?.

The wind has a mind of it's own, so I usually let it blow:lol:

I am not loyal to Honda, I just already have two, though I do like the quality and quietness. I'm making these work and when they wear out,  if they come out with something better, I'll buy it

I do think I'll make the baffle like my last pict and maybe use the carpet idea and glue some to the inside of the baffle to absorb some sound...?. Not much room in the box. The fans are mounted to the vents, one pulling the other pushing.

thanks for the input guys, good stuff.

Edited by mtdave2

On 5/29/2016 at 6:06 PM, linda s said:

Well for one so I can pick it up. For another, the Honda wins hands down for quiet. No I don't own one yet but I have had to walk over to Honda's at other campsites to see if it was even running. I have also left campsites cause the neighbors were running noisy ones. Very unpleasant

Linda S

uh you would be running 2 of them at same time 108 Dbs hence the "noise problem" that he is now trying to build a baffle for.... thats double the noise. and you must now carry 2 generators around.. one on each arm at 54 lbs. thats easier than one at 70 lbs that only cost 1/2 of one of the 2 unicorns??

Edited by Totem

On 5/29/2016 at 4:13 PM, jdemaris said:

Why would anyone want a Honda 2000 at all? It is only a 1600 watt generator. Why not just buy one higher-wattage generator? Like one generator that makes an honest 2000-2500 watts instead of 1600 like a Honda?

BINGO! or even just one eu3000 honda if you must stick with unicorn (that pathetically only makes 2600 watts for its 105 lbs of weight) at least it would be in acceptable noise range (even though it would be more dbs than the HF predator) :)

Edited by Totem

3 hours ago, Totem said:

uh you would be running 2 of them at same time 108 Dbs hence the "noise problem" that he is now trying to build a baffle for.... thats double the noise. and you must now carry 2 generators around.. one on each arm at 54 lbs. thats easier than one at 70 lbs that only cost 1/2 of one of the 2 unicorns??

108 decibles? Your joking right, maybe it's a test to see who is paying attention?

3 hours ago, Totem said:

No I wouldn't. I'd make do with less. My portable AC I use in my camper is 7000BTU's and a Honda would run it fine. I don't know what you guys are doing but I'm camping. Not staying at the Ritz.

Linda S

29 minutes ago, linda s said:

No I wouldn't. I'd make do with less. My portable AC I use in my camper is 7000BTU's and a Honda would run it fine. I don't know what you guys are doing but I'm camping. Not staying at the Ritz.

Linda S

I camp just fine with a PS mach 1 and an HF genny that you cant get in california.

I am confused as to why all these generators are needed myself since the OP supposedly bought a mach1 PS also; then I remembered... only 1600 watts are produced by the honda; possibly not enough to get the job done even with the 11,000 BTU PS mach 1. My rig isnt the ritz but we have been known to eat ritz in it along with cheese and ham sometimes.

Edited by Totem

40 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

108 decibles? Your joking right, maybe it's a test to see who is paying attention?

so you think 2 generators running at same time dont generate double the noise>?

Edited by Totem

Decibels are on a logarithmic scale. Due to that 54dB + 54dB is 57dB. Which is 2x more energy but would be perceived to human ears as about 30% louder.

3 minutes ago, Kale said:

Decibels are on a logarithmic scale. Due to that 54dB + 54dB is 57dB. Which is 2x more energy but would be perceived to human ears as about 30% louder.

ok... so if in full run mode at 59 dB each... then what would it be?

Kale: according to this you need to get a new calculator:

http://www.me.ua.edu/stal/Pages/PDF/HondaNoiseTests.pdf

with these stats that baffle is going to need to be damned good because this level of noise will not pass the federal or state campground noise sniff test in tandem even with no load in eco mode.

Edited by Totem

1 minute ago, Totem said:

ok... so if in full run mode at 59 dB each... then what would it be?

It's double the energy (3dB), so essentially the same: 59dB + 59db = 62dB / ~30% louder than the original loudness. In this case we're talking about putting them inside a metal box, which is likely going to transfer vibration to the box, don't know how that would affect the loudness.

2 minutes ago, Totem said:

according to this you need to get a new calculator:

http://www.me.ua.edu/stal/Pages/PDF/HondaNoiseTests.pdf

What specifically do you see there that contradicts my statement? They don't show specific numbers, but it seems that the difference between "EU2000i, 1500W, ECO Off" and "EU2000i(x2), 3000W, ECO Off" is roughly 3dB.

2 minutes ago, Kale said:

It's double the energy (3dB), so essentially the same: 59dB + 59db = 62dB / ~30% louder than the original loudness. In this case we're talking about putting them inside a metal box, which is likely going to transfer vibration to the box, don't know how that would affect the loudness.

What specifically do you see there that contradicts my statement? They don't show specific numbers, but it seems that the difference between "EU2000i, 1500W, ECO Off" and "EU2000i(x2), 3000W, ECO Off" is roughly 3dB.

what distance are you considering the nearest campsite to be at?  because at 10 feet away its alot more than 62 dB...

try 75dB...and thats two of the 2000's running with NO load in eco mode. once we start using them and ramping up power draw they get into the 80s.

Ranger Rick would be on you like the IRS on a Tea Party group.

Edited by Totem

Also the results from this study are intriguing... Honda claims that at 9 feet from the generator panel they are within 53-59 dB... but in this actual experiment it was 73-80 ish on just one 2000 at 10 feet.

HF claims 63 at 10 feet though they are not in this example.

all were above 70 in this example at 50 feet but under it if you subtracted 10 dB for "background noise."  In short fail. The Baffle must be good - VERY good.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Linda S

My Honda 2000 runs a 8000 btu window air with ease, that is in hot, humid weather at sea level.       

53 minutes ago, Kale said:

It appears there is sound damping added to the box?

10 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Knock yourself out (in case you can't find your log tables). :)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html

Fortunately, 54db + 54db =/= 108db  :)

slvls.jpg

indeed, but I sure wouldnt want to sleep next to two of them running in a box or out from what i saw... because between busy traffic and a vacuum cleaner is just not where good REM sleep will be.

:)

Edited by Totem

10 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

My Honda 2000 runs a 8000 btu window air with ease, that is in hot, humid weather at sea level.       

great, but will it run a roof unit? - unless I missed something here because thats 2 people now bragging about running low BTU window units.

I thought he said intent was to run roof unit.

OK, Uncle, I surrender,  your right, you win, tomorrow is garbage day, I am going to throw my little Honda in the trash can and run over to HF and spend $500 on a disposable generator.   

7 hours ago, Totem said:

.... between busy traffic and a vacuum cleaner ...

There you go again, exaggerating. But to  be expected from probably the only person on the planet who doesn't think a Honda is quiet. :)

I have no trouble falling asleep with a TV on. :)

Lol, can we change Totems name to troll? I say that with all due respect. A good troll just likes to fight and poke people with a stick, and I can respect the game I guess. 

For what is it worth, I fired up both gens and closed the box up, with no baffles, I could just barely hear them running at the end of my driveway, and my wife didn't even know they were on until I walked down there. once I have the baffles made, and the exhaust piped to into the up spout, I am sure most anyone would be happy to camp next to me. Except a troll maybe ;)

I patiently wait for the report of the Honda running/not running  the AC.   

When I had 2 Honda in parallel they were not at all loud.  I do not know where these #'s are coming from but not my experience.    I would also guess that 2 loafing would be quieter than one off brand running at high speed?

Edited by jjrbus

16 hours ago, Derek up North said:

There you go again, exaggerating. But to  be expected from probably the only person on the planet who doesn't think a Honda is quiet. :)

I have no trouble falling asleep with a TV on. :)

well now, with actual field test results posted by a university in question, coupled with their results on YOUR chart post, people who's wives ears are substitutes for dB measurements and a guy who still cannot get his mad scientist window rooftop AC to work on his Rig, I must surely be wrong. Well done Unicorn team!

Not remotely important, but since I like words, I thought it might be fun to point out that "Harebrained" (not h-a-i-r) is the usual spelling—and I believe it refers to the feeble intellect of the common rabbit. :D