Around the Lake Rallies!

bufbooth

Hello All,

Just checking to see what the interest in an Around the Lake (Michigan) Rally would be?

I was thinking mid/late July.  Basically, I was thinking about driving around Lake Michigan (clock wise) and

doing a couple 1 or 2 day rallies near Lake Michigan (one in Wisconsin, one in Michigan U.P., and one in Michigan.

Folks could attend 1 or more of them. 

Just a thought for a different type of Rally.

Dennis...

44 minutes ago, bufbooth said:

Hello All,

Just checking to see what the interest in an Around the Lake (Michigan) Rally would be?

I was thinking mid/late July.  Basically, I was thinking about driving around Lake Michigan (clock wise) and

doing a couple 1 or 2 day rallies near Lake Michigan (one in Wisconsin, one in Michigan U.P., and one in Michigan.

Folks could attend 1 or more of them. 

Just a thought for a different type of Rally.

Dennis...

There already is an annual rally around the Michigan UP called the "Super Duper Yooper Looper."   Are you talking about doing something different?  Last year it went July 30 to August 8. 

July 30th, Straights Area State Park
July 31 – August 1, Grand Marais Woodland Park
August 2, Baraga State Park
August 3 – 4, Fort Wilkins State Park
August 5, Porcupine Mountains State Park
August 6, Bewabic State Park
August 7, Indian Lake State park
August 8, Burt Lake State Park

I stand corrected. I just got a message from someone who helped organize it last year.  NONE for this year.  Too bad. It was pretty neat.

• 3 months later...

Cheryl and I would be able to make a Michigan meet, either UP or lower.  We live at Traverse City.  Just saw your post tonight.  Bob Beery

I am interested in this.. too bad there isn't a better more private way to list a rally than broadcasting it on the internet though. lets too many people possibly know when people are away from their roost... Like an email or something.

Totem,

On this site it is possible to click on a sender's name to bring up their profile, then click message to send something only to them.  But I don't know if there is a way to send to multiple people all at once, plus how many people check for messages?

Want to try?

On 6/14/2016 at 10:59 PM, BobBeery said:

Cheryl and I would be able to make a Michigan meet, either UP or lower.  We live at Traverse City.  Just saw your post tonight.  Bob Beery

I called the guy about the Super Duper Yooper Looper. Not going to happen this year.  We ran into it last year by accident and it was pretty neat.  I live near Rogers City, "Elk Capital of MI" Atlanta, and "Potato Capital of MI, Posen. 125 miles NE of Traverse City.  Seems MI has a lot of "capitals."

11 hours ago, BobBeery said:

Totem,

On this site it is possible to click on a sender's name to bring up their profile, then click message to send something only to them.  But I don't know if there is a way to send to multiple people all at once, plus how many people check for messages?

Want to try?

the last couple michigan and wisconsin rallies we did with an email list. Dennis and Bonnie have that list, but we would need to add jde email. I think its better to use email; because PMs on this site are still probably in a server thats a target.

At least with email you can "wipe it clean" and what difference does it make anyway if that happens. :)

I don't get it. People are going to know when your away from home? I don't even know where you live and I've gotten a package shipped from you. No one looking at the site knows your real name or address. Has anyone on this thread ever gotten spam or suspicious emails they think came from here. I have never gotten anything.

Linda S

its ok, you dont have to get it. I work in IT.. I do get it. your information is clicks away to those with idle time and able minds. Try not to take everything so personally. Safety is a good thing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with signing up for rallies using email and announcing them here; but as a life long nerd I'm not keen on signing up for things away from home online.

2 hours ago, Totem said:

At least with email you can "wipe it clean" and what difference does it make anyway if that happens. :)

How can anyone wipe email "clean" anymore?  Seems even Hillary Clinton cannot do it.   Once sent - it exists all over the place.  Even worse for me not that I no longer have client-based email. Just Yahoo and all my hardcopies are out in cyber-world somewhere.

I got scolded not long ago for posting an old photo of my truck with the license plate showing.  I am still a bit stumped.  So what? I drive down the road every day with my license plate showing.  How does posting an old photo from a different state with an expired license plate somehow endanger me?

Yes, I understand all the concern about cyber insecurity, ID theft, etc.  At some point - I just do not give a d*mn.  I'm kind of sick about worrying about every move I make.  All of this digital "hiding" by people behind their keyboards and keypads certainly has a downside.  Many act like emboldened as*s*s that they'd never be brave enough for if people knew who they were and where they were.  For the most part, I don't try to hide and what you get on-line is just what you get in person.  Note I have invited many Princes from Nigeria to my place for a face-to-face visit.  So far, none have showed up.

face to face is not the issue..its really about the 6 degrees of kevin bacon these days. Its not that people are any more psychotic than before... its that the internet has enabled those that are, able to see that picture of your license plate, run its number, and finally to those of us that are barely savy, any picture taken from a phone has its GPS coordinates baked into the jpeg. to the untrained laymen they never think about this and merrily go about their day posting away photos of their kids, talk about when they will be gone etc.. all the while the cyber troll watches and gleems data and then one day you come home and your stuff or kids are gone. So unless you are using an ancient camera to take your pictures; if you are using your phone its wise to ether think twice about whos in the pictures, or conversely where they are taken. These sites are all able to be metacrawled, and indexed. from there criminals need only watch your posted pictures for things they find desirable; its almost like craigslist but for the nefarious. I myself often times rethink those photos i have posted in the past and wonder. Thats in part why my GSD dog sits at home... just in case. You can say I live in fear, thats fine, but I say I am merely aware of these things.Its just another door into our homes we need to watch is all. Some have no fear and leave doors unlocked at home too. Some, like me, grew up near detroit and learned the hard way what that can bring.

17 hours ago, BobBeery said:

Totem,

Want to try?

that would be one step better than starting a list of attendees on a website with dates. its still weak however if the server is compromised. We have already seen the server get compromised in here before. To me the "old way" of having a host like Dennis collect folks and send out an email is still the most secure.

Edited by Totem

5 hours ago, Totem said:

You can say I live in fear, thats fine, but I say I am merely aware of these things.Its just another door into our homes we need to watch is all. Some have no fear and leave doors unlocked at home too. Some, like me, grew up near detroit and learned the hard way what that can bring.

I'm not saying you live in any more "fear" then I do.  I just get sick of the worry at times and find it refreshing to just say the "heck with it."  And yes, I grew up with no locks on our house and often keys were left in the family car. My first decent car - a 1964 Chevelle, needed no keys at all to start and I loved it that way. Keyless use was a great feature in 64 Chevys. That - even though I grew up 7 miles from New York City. It was then, a semi-rural borough on the other side of the river.   We had a local dairy warehouse where anyone could walk in, take whatever milk or ice cream they wanted - and just write their name on a notepad stating what they took.  We had other things to worry about.  As a kid, I was told to put my head down if a nuclear bomb landed in Manhattan from Khruschev.  Also some concern over having missles shooting at us from Cuba after JFK tried to assassinate  Castro and failed. Later as a teen, I felt a bit of angst waiting to get drafted and sent to 'Nam.  Unlike me, my wife grew up in Dearborn Heights and locks everything, everywhere, all the d*mn time. It drives me nuts. Even now, in the middle of nowhere - she'd lock the doors even when we're home if I did not complain about it.  Her parents are still alive and the same way.  Oh well. No right or wrong here. Just different ways of doing and/or dealing with things.  Sometimes I think it would be fun to start hitting the bars and drinking every night, all night, like I used to 40 years ago.  My wife says "no" and also, I suspect now - it would not be as much fun. Well, maybe on the first night it might be.