1991 Odyssey, good deal?

StevenJT

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/5480999441.html

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and so glad to have access to those in the know on all things Toyota motorhome! I've been reading on here daily in hopes to prepare me for my first rv. I search Craigslist every day and came across this one in San Diego about two weeks ago, it was first listed at $6000 and then reposted at $5800, then down to $5500, and then dropped to $5300 and today posted at $4900. Seems like a good price assuming no water damage and engine is in great shape. Probably due for timing belt? 

Would love any input before I make the call.

I have no idea how good a deal that is, but yeah, I think Toyota specifies 90k interval for T-belt changes so it's due.  should be easy job on a truck since the engine is longitudinal, tho.  get the "kit" (T-belt, tensioners and maybe idler pulleys, and water pump) and do the cooling system service while you have the coolant drained.

Generic comments about Odyssey RV's  in general, not necessarily this one.

Odysseys are the tallest inside, they are the leakiest ones when poorly maintained.

About this one. Have the valves been adjusted, has the timing belt been changed? If not expect to spend about $1000 to get both done. FACTORY interval is 60,000mi. But it gets "overlooked" often.

Edited by WME

It's a very good deal. Too good. I can't find any clear marks of a scam but if you pursue this please take every precaution. Meet face to face and ask to see title. Yes great buys do happen but being careful is always good business

Linda S

Thank you all for your comments!

And yes Linda S my first thought was it's on that edge of being a possible scam, but when it kept being reposted at a lower price I thought buyers might be showing up and finding something wrong with it.

I'll call tomorrow and investigate, I'll be sure to update my findings.

Good thought, anything that shows up here in Florida for reasonable money either sells quickly or has issues. Needing work is not always a bad thing but can be a negotiating point.

Good luck  Jim

The woman selling this Odyssey said she's "lowered the price to move it quicker because she needs the money to purchase another rv. Timing belt has not been changed. All appliances should be working and no sign of leaks."

If still available in the next couple of days I'll drive the 2 1/2 hours to go check it out in person. 

1 hour ago, StevenJT said:

The woman selling this Odyssey said she's "lowered the price to move it quicker because she needs the money to purchase another rv. Timing belt has not been changed. All appliances should be working and no sign of leaks."

If still available in the next couple of days I'll drive the 2 1/2 hours to go check it out in person. 

In southern California a 91 Odyssey like this would normally sell for 8 grand. If it's still there in a couple of days I would be very surprised. I'm amazed it didn't sell at the first price she posted it for. Good luck

Linda S

If there is nothing major wrong with it that unit would be gone in Florida. But pictures and sellers can be deceiving, if I was looking I would not wait!   Jim

Because of business commitments I had no time to drive to San Diego, called the seller this morning and she had just sold it. It just wasn't the one for me. I always seem to find what I'm looking for and I know the right Toyota motorhome will show up and I'll be ready!

Thanks again for all the good advice

I can relate, usually the item I want to look at is 3 hours away and I've only got 2 hours!  Again anything decent here in Florida sells quickly and often ends back up for sale marked up a couple thousand $$$$.

In the meantime reading the forum and seeing what people are working on will give you good insight as what to look for when inspecting the next one.   Good luck   Jim