Possible Scam?

dripdark

Hi everyone:

I posted on here a while back about what to look for in regards to finding a Toyhome and you guys gave me a great checklist.

I found an ad on Craigslist. Take a look here:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rvs/5477854461.html

After seeing this ad, there was another ad for a similar Warrior with a similar background. The main difference was the graphics on the body (a red stripe vs. a green one). They are both located in the same state, but different parts.

After calling the listed number, I received a text message asking for my e-mail, which I sent. I received an e-mail with the following message:

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting me regarding my 1992 Toyota Winnebago Warrior,that I have for sale. This camper is in great shape. I’m the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn’t been involved in any accident…Has only 28,117 miles, its automatic transmission,it has a very powerful fuel injected V-6 engine. I have a clear title,  no  liens or loans on it, under my name. I am selling it at this final price of $2,000.00  because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that’s the reason I want to sell it a.s.a.p. I  want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you’re  interested in purchasing this camper just email me with your full name,  address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify eBay  that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to  explain the entire procedure.

Thank you,

The seller did not include any other pictures of the vehicle.

What do you guys think? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

DD

There is no such thing as buying a motorhome through eBay that wasn't on eBay. There are warnings about these scams on eBay quite often. It is a scam. The only safe way to purchase is face to face with an owner who has the title in hand. If your worried about the transaction you can always meet at a DMV or a bank, theirs or yours. Be realistic when looking too. No one is going to sell a mint condition RV for this price.

Linda S

Oh and if you had said yes you would have gotten an email from a fake eBay site that might have looked very realistic. These are not amateurs. They are professional scam companies with lots of employee's and they make tons of money from people who are less well informed as you.

I came across an article some time ago,  the ringleader of some these scams has a 1 million $$ reward on his head. 

The alleged kingpin behind a multimillion-dollar online car selling scam, Romanian fugitive Nicolae Popescu, just made it onto the FBI’s 10 Most-Wanted Cyber Fugitives list.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/11/21/fbi-offers-1-million-reward-for-anybody-who-can-help-catch-online-car-scam-fugitive/

Now if we could figure some way to catch the guy?              Jim

• 2 weeks later...

if you go around craigslist, you will find 100's of these scams.   

Go ahead, wire them some money - and BTW, I have some ocean front property in West Virginia I can make you a REALLY good deal on!  ;-)

• 5 years later...
On 3/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, jjrbus said:

I came across an article some time ago,  the ringleader of some these scams has a 1 million $$ reward on his head. 

The alleged kingpin behind a multimillion-dollar online car selling scam, Romanian fugitive Nicolae Popescu, just made it onto the FBI’s 10 Most-Wanted Cyber Fugitives list.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/11/21/fbi-offers-1-million-reward-for-anybody-who-can-help-catch-online-car-scam-fugitive/

Now if we could figure some way to catch the guy?              Jim

Hi just a note- I remembered the text from the reply you got when I emailed a 1992 winnebago ad in washington state facebook market place I looked up the vin & saw that supposedly it had sold on ebay 2 months ago for 12K  same pics the person had in the facebook ad-- also a very similar sob story on an SUV I was looking at on craigslist & facebook last yr I was smarter on that one & didnt email the guy was saying to contact their aunt et. I reported it to facebook because they had about 30 listings all the same. anyway. the scam is still in play. I wrote back immediately said never mind told them i found the ebay sale & it wasnt them. and that I was related to the FBI I cant remember my exact words just now but said if I got any spam starting on my email addy I was going to report them & that the FBI had ways to back track & find them? I dont know if that will stop them from spamming me or selling my email addy but doubt it will stop them from playing that scam game. If you know who to actually report this too feel free to let me know. I will look up the name you posted etc and see what I can do with it- its now 2021 & you wrote your post 2016. passportt

11 hours ago, passportt said:

Hi just a note- I remembered the text from the reply you got when I emailed a 1992 winnebago ad in washington state facebook market place I looked up the vin & saw that supposedly it had sold on ebay 2 months ago for 12K  same pics the person had in the facebook ad-- also a very similar sob story on an SUV I was looking at on craigslist & facebook last yr I was smarter on that one & didnt email the guy was saying to contact their aunt et. I reported it to facebook because they had about 30 listings all the same. anyway. the scam is still in play. I wrote back immediately said never mind told them i found the ebay sale & it wasnt them. and that I was related to the FBI I cant remember my exact words just now but said if I got any spam starting on my email addy I was going to report them & that the FBI had ways to back track & find them? I dont know if that will stop them from spamming me or selling my email addy but doubt it will stop them from playing that scam game. If you know who to actually report this too feel free to let me know. I will look up the name you posted etc and see what I can do with it- its now 2021 & you wrote your post 2016. passportt

Our issue is that people have become conditioned to having the gov fix things.   If most people would reply to such scams and waste their time they would go away.