Shifting Problems - Looking For A Replacement Shifter And Advice

Some added comments. I don't know what this idiot did to your Toyota in regard to the driveshaft and center-mount. It is ADJUSTABLE. Is that word in your "mechanic's" vocabulary? The mount on the truck has slotted holes that allow the driveshaft a full 1/2" of adjustment, fore or aft. The transmission has NO effect on where that mount sits regardless of how long or short it is. That distance is determined solely by where the rear-axle assembly is mounted.

On a side-note - I attached some photos of the shift knob. Likely not something you care about right now. I got pissed trying to find a new 5 speed shift knob for my W50. I finally just took my four-speed knob and etched on a 5th gear and then coated with clear epoxy. A slop-job? Yes, but cheap. I'm sure someone with better "hand-writing" could of done a better job.

post-6578-0-96882500-1454769927_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70458900-1454769929_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-04979000-1454769931_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-56465800-1454770082_thumb.jp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get a new trans mount that he didn't have installed in that previous picture, the one for the w50. Don't ask my why. From your picture JD it looks like the trans mount sits an inch or two back and has 4 bolt holes. Is that all the modification is? Just throwing 4 new holes in the crossmember so it can connect at a different location or is it more complex than that?

I'm not quite sure what he did either in regards to the drive train. It looks like from your picture that everything is sitting a little more snugly together then what he did. Maybe if the whole drive shaft is moved back since the yolk is indeed a slip fit at the transmission then it would all sync up? I attached the diagrams from the manual in case that helps at all.

-Mischa

driveshaft

IMG 4709

IMG 4714

I can't make out what they did wrong from that photo of the driveshaft-support. The length of the transmission has NO effect on where that sits. That is solely determined by the distance between that support and the rear axle. Like I stated earlier - the mount on the truck's crossmember has slotted holes to make it adjustable.

I didn't find it any big deal to adapt my rear mount and I guess that's why it is not fresh in my mind. I know there is a difference, as far as the fore & aft distance goes. I have one of my Chinooks here in my barn with a W50 in it but it's 18 degrees F in there and there is no heat. I haven't been in the mood to go out there and crawl under it to refresh my memory as to exactly what I did. I am getting old I guess and turning into a wuss. I used to lay on the ground when it was 20 below F turning wrenches. No more for me.

By the way - on the subject on what has already been done. When a transmission is removed from one of these Toyotas - there are dowel locating pins that sometimes stay in the back of the engine and sometimes come out with the trans. I hope you wound up with the proper dowels back in there.

• 4 weeks later...

So it's all sorted out. Thanks for the help. Here are some pictures so that anyone doing the same swap can see.

The first picture you can see how the W50 shifter sits a couple inches back so you need to cut back the hole a bit.

The second picture is the mod to the crossmember. The shop I took it to was a fabrication/hot rod shop so I'm not sure if they did this a little more fancy and complicated then they needed to, but they did a bit of welding and notched in a small rectangular platform for the trans mount to fit on.

JD - here's a shifter knob that I got at O'Reily for $12. It has several adapters so that it can fit different sized shifter rods with little screws so that it will fit right. Thought it may be a good option instead of the drawn in 5th gear :)

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all. Can't say that I notice all that much in 1st gear. I do definitely notice how nice it is to have 5th when I'm going 65 on the highway instead of revving high in 4th.

I do seem to have a transmission fluid leak. A slow drip where it slip fits into the drive train. I can't really tell if it is coming from there or if it is dripping from above where the shifter meets the trans. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Mischa

www.pontxadventures.wordpress.com