Omelettes In A Ziplock Bag, No Pan To Wash

snail powered

There is merit to it also, they could be made at home put in the MH fridge in any number of bags toss in boiling water you'r done yeah!

Lets see I can clean out a 2qt pot or wipe out an 8" fry pan. Seems a wash and trust me the fry pan makes a much better omelet.

My father had an expression. "This was made with a little love. Very little." He was more than a great cook. He deeply understood that food was more than just sustenance.

I understand there might be those who simply cannot discern the difference in a dish prepared with care and passion to a frozen microwave entree. Too those I have much sympathy.

A properly done omelet takes very little effort and reward far outweighs the clean up requirement.

3 Eggs (local farm), a little water, some leftover cheese (also from same farm), toast made from bread I picked up at a local bakery, Irish butter and coffee made from beans that were fresh roasted this Monday. I've often made the same breakfast in the camper. Might seem snobbish but life is too short to eat meh food.

I'm all for people doing the easiest, cleanest cooking they can. So I like the post and the idea behind it.

But it's not for me.

I also avoid plastic as much as possible, especially hot food or drinks in plastic.

I cook very simply in general. Usually noodles or rice with some either steamed or stir fried veggies, a simple sauce with some lemon, tahini and soy sauce or something similar. Done. Oatmeal in the morning.

Different people cut different corners. For me, I like cooking. I like taking the time to cook, and taking the time to eat. It's a not a thing I want to just get through as fast and easy as possible so I can get on to other things. It IS the thing :)

Morning is not my best time. I love to cook really good dinners but breakfast has to easy preceded by lots of coffee.

Yeah I hear you. I have friends who are that way.

I'm up early, and usually don't eat until I've been up for a few hours. And even then, all I do is boil oatmeal. I love cooking a big breakfast, but it's a rare thing, usually only if we rent a cabin with a few people or something like that.

Dinner is definitely the meal I put more time & effort into.

But...however simply and easily I might eat, I refuse to eat junk. For me, unfortunately, anything heated in plastic automatically becomes "junk".

A good cast iron pan, some onions, assorted bell peppers, mushrooms, real bacon bits, 3 eggs. Saute veggies in BUTTER, add mushrooms, stir in eggs until well set up and sprinkle with good sharp cheddar. Why bother with a plastic bag. It takes 5 minutes to make this meal including wiping out the pan.

:)

I own a cast iron skillet, a wok, and a medium sized sauce pan. That's it for cooking stuff. Works great.

Once the skillet it well seasoned, you don't really need to do much cleaning so yeah, it saves time and water. Same with the wok.

• 1 year later...

I think the point of this is the uniqueness and fun of preparing them this way. When I had them, it was in a party/family-get-together context. Everybody builds their own omelet and then they all cook at once in a big pot. They were quite delicious. I don't think it's a replacement for a good old pan omelet, just something different. The use of plastics aside (that's a whole other issue) this is a clever idea. Next you can try salmon cooked in the dishwasher!

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/cooking/bob-blumers-dishwasher-salmon-recipe

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2016 at 10:37 AM, Bob C said:

A good cast iron pan, some onions, assorted bell peppers, mushrooms, real bacon bits, 3 eggs. Saute veggies in BUTTER, add mushrooms, stir in eggs until well set up and sprinkle with good sharp cheddar. Why bother with a plastic bag. It takes 5 minutes to make this meal including wiping out the pan.

Nothing beats cooking in a good cast iron pan.