Bigger Fuel Tank/ Aux Tank

shibs

They have a 130 liter tank that converts to 34 + gallons. I want one.

They sell to Canada and you have to buy from a distributer there.

Linda S

That's a lot of money for a fuel tank. The Nissan D21 king cabs have a 21 gallon tank that looks very close to our regular tanks. Can be found in junk yards. I can't promise but I think they will fit. I have a D21 and a Toyota Sunrader and I did measure but without removing the tank no way to tell for sure.

Checked car-part and some sell for as little as 55 bucks. Might be worth a try if you really want more fuel

NO that's just shipping. The tank is like 1200 bucks. Hence my suggestion of trying a Nissan tank for a few bucks and a little less gas. Here's a thread on Expedition Portal about having a custom tank made for a Tacoma. I think you need to be a member to see the pics

Amazing work but probably also very expensive

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73665-Custom-35-gallon-gas-tank-for-09-Tacoma

Linda S

The Nissan Hardbody 20 something gallon tank is 41 1/2" long. The Toyota tank is 37" long. I know there is no way I could ever fit one in my 1988 Toyota. Not unless I took a torch to it and did a lot of cutting and fabrication. Besides - even if there was some way to jam it in - then I'd have no fuel gauge. I like having a working fuel gauge. It would be a lot easier just to take out the spare tire and stick in a aux tank with a tank-to-tank refill system. Then no 2nd fuel pump or switch-over valve is needed.

just curious but the 17 gallon tank will break my bladder every time.. do people really think they can outlast a 21 or 34 gallon tank before needing to stop for a bio-break? because if you are stopping anyway you may as well fuel up. I suppose the V6 crew with cruise control can do the fabled driver swap out but yikes...

just curious but the 17 gallon tank will break my bladder every time..

That's not the point with my wanting more gas with me. I drive places where I sometimes cannot get gas and I want to camp there for a few days and tour around. Not something I want to do when I've only got even a half-tank of gas. Hasn't been an issue for me anymore since I strapped a 5 gallon extra tank on back.; Gives me peace of mind. Now I can actually let my indicator needle get to the big E and not be in total panic mode. Never been a big concern to me when on a highway since so far, gas has always been available somewhere. Venture back in some remote area of the eastern UP where most of the mom & pop gas stations have gone out of business - and it gets scary at times.

I agree with JD on this. I like to stop at every possible site of interest but there are times where it is more than 250 miles between gas stops. Having to plan stops for gas is not high on my list of things to think about. I carry 2 2 1/2 gallon gas cans on the back. I am picking up a couple of 5 gallon jerry cans with mounting brackets when I find them locally.

Ok, well I agree also then in that context; I too carry a spare 6 gallon can on long hauls for same reason but also because I have had fuel hoses rot before and drain the tank; whereby I lost what was in it; it wouldn't have mattered how large it was.

Just curious JDE where did you get those awesome $20 steel Chinese Jerrys? I need some.

That's not the point with my wanting more gas with me. I drive places where I sometimes cannot get gas and I want to camp there for a few days and tour around. Not something I want to do when I've only got even a half-tank of gas. Hasn't been an issue for me anymore since I strapped a 5 gallon extra tank on back.; Gives me peace of mind. Now I can actually let my indicator needle get to the big E and not be in total panic mode. Never been a big concern to me when on a highway since so far, gas has always been available somewhere. Venture back in some remote area of the eastern UP where most of the mom & pop gas stations have gone out of business - and it gets scary at times.
I agree, Stateside , I'm not too worried . I can even call AAA. I am planning to go to Baja this December and I'm already nervous and checking how far apart the gas stations are

I agree, Stateside , I'm not too worried . I can even call AAA. I am planning to go to Baja this December and I'm already nervous and checking how far apart the gas stations are

I just called AAA for my first time here in northern Michigan. It was my wife's plan. My truck stopped moving right in front of the firehouse in "large for the area" town of Posen, northern Michigan. Rural yes, but not like I was in the woods or something. I called AAA at 8 PM. They showed up at 11:30 PM and they were came from 37 miles away. Pretty poor service as I see it. Had I known they were going to take so long - I'd have just called one of my neighbors to tow me home. I only had 20 miles to go. NEVER again.

I just called AAA for my first time here in northern Michigan. It was my wife's plan. My truck stopped moving right in front of the firehouse in "large for the area" town of Posen, northern Michigan. Rural yes, but not like I was in the woods or something. I called AAA at 8 PM. They showed up at 11:30 PM and they were came from 37 miles away. Pretty poor service as I see it. Had I known they were going to take so long - I'd have just called one of my neighbors to tow me home. I only had 20 miles to go. NEVER again.

that 3 hour lead time is them searching online for the absolute cheapest way to honor their service level agreement, which is what you are paying AAA for. I gave up long ago on pre-purchased extended warranties, AAA and other things of this nature for that exact reason. Better to save all the months of dues and keep it in your camper's safe, next to the defense weapon. Should trouble arise, letting the wrecker know you are cash strong instead of a card that they must pay a premium to get their cut on can actually get more of a discount than AAA.

I called Aerotanks ...960 for the tank + Shipping + Tax . He said its not easy to install

Well it's cheaper than the Australian one. Another place you could try is Sunset metals. They bought the fuel tank specs from Northwest metals a couple of years ago. They don't make the Toyota 26 gallon tank anymore but they do say on their website if you don't see what you need to contact them. Bet they still have the specs to make the tank.

http://www.sunsetmetalfab.net/page008.html

last price I saw at Northwest for the 26 gallon tank was close to 700. Probably not any cheaper now if Sunset will even make it.

PS don't tell them it's for an RV. Price will be drastically higher for no good reason

Linda S