So I am replacing my water pump on my 91 V6 3.0 and bought the NAPA water pump and then ordered the AISIN water pump. I took a quick video so you could see the difference.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ZhuXTsXOK4"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by sherrie

When I replaced my water pump I was assured by many that the Aisin was the way to go. My Aisin pump looked like the one in your video and was an exact duplicate of the OE pump taken out of my Toy. I know this as I do not trust replacement parts and check every way possible to make sure it is the same part. If I remember correctly, where Toyota was stamped on the original was ground off on the new pump.

I had an issue with the gasket as the old pump did not have a gasket or what appeared to be sealer, there was a tiny bit of black material on the block and old pump. I was told to use the gasket and that tiny bit of black on the gasket is the sealer.

I am not a mechanic and was told the torque values are critical putting the new one in, so I followed directions.

Also the outlet is plastic and will crack if over tightened.

c) Install the water outlet with the two bolts.

Torque: 19 N–m (195 kgf–cm, 14 ft–lbf)

post-8092-0-47728700-1442529079_thumb.pn

When I replaced my water pump I was assured by many that the Aisin was the way to go. My Aisin pump looked like the one in your video and was an exact duplicate of the OE pump taken out of my Toy. I know this as I do not trust replacement parts and check every way possible to make sure it is the same part. If I remember correctly, where Toyota was stamped on the original was ground off on the new pump.

I had an issue with the gasket as the old pump did not have a gasket or what appeared to be sealer, there was a tiny bit of black material on the block and old pump. I was told to use the gasket and that tiny bit of black on the gasket is the sealer.

I am not a mechanic and was told the torque values are critical putting the new one in, so I followed directions.

Also the outlet is plastic and will crack if over tightened.

c) Install the water outlet with the two bolts.

Torque: 19 N–m (195 kgf–cm, 14 ft–lbf)

attachicon.gifwater pump torque.PNG

Thank you I will pass this info on to my mechanic.

I used to rebuild water-pumps. As I see it - the only difference there is going to be in quality is the type of seal used, and the ball-bearing assembly. Some of the Japanese bearings like Nachi , NTN and Toyo are among the best in the world. Some bearings from India and China are the worst. But even the high-end companies have factories in China now. How you'd ever know what is inside a new or rebuilt waterpump - without having it apart - I haven't a clue. Aisin makes the waterpumps OEM for Toyota so I assume they keep a tight reign on quality control. I'm sure there are many aftermarket pumps every bit as good - but how'd you'd ever know for sure? NAPA sells at least three different types/brands waterpumps for the Toyota 3 liter V6. One is rebuilt. One is "True-Flow" with a lifetime warranty. One is "Altrom" with a 12 month warranty. I bet the "True-Flow is every bit as good as an Aisin and has the same quality parts inside. Note the True-Flow has a lifetime warranty and the Aisin is only 12 months.

I rarely rebuild waterpumps anymore because it is not cost-effective. New pumps have gotten real cheap. I've installed many aftermarket waterpumps in many engines and have not had even one early failure. Subsequently, I assume parts sellers like NAPA try to stick to companies with good quality control.

How anyone can just look at a waterpump and ascertain quality - is beyond me. The life of the pump is based on the bearing used. You cannot see that from the inside. And even if you had a new bearing in your hand - you still cannot determine its quality by looking at it. You'd have to read the test-data on it.

I assume then when an aftermarket part is listed as meeting ISO/TS 16949 parts specs - it has to be as good or better then OEM. Many aftermarket parts come with that stamp.

post-6578-0-01087400-1442761880_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67695600-1442761881_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01352200-1442761883_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-92491900-1442761883_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42181500-1442761885_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42101400-1442761886_thumb.jp