Front Window Shattered

DanRT66

I have been out on my initial road trip. It's been about 8 weeks, mostly very enjoyable (except for the fan explosion and radiator destruction already reported in another section of the forum). So, I'm on the way home, in the Denver area. I pull off E-470 to visit my sister for a couple days, and on Quincy there is a major dip/bump in the road in the right lane, I slowed down, but there was a huge jarring bump as I rode over it, and pieces of I didn't know what rained down on the hood. I pulled over, put on the flashers, got out and looked up, and the window in the front of the cabover area had shattered. Has anyone heard of this happening? I'm not sure it happened there. There was a spot on the glass still in the window from which the cracks seemed to radiate, and it was slightly indented, though not penetrated It was as if something had hit the window hard enough to shatter it and bounced off.

I took out all the glass, cleaned up, cut a piece of 1/8" Masonite to fit the interior frame, and screwed it up there under the interior frame, just to get me home. Yes, I'm in trouble if it rains, but there's no rain forecast before I can get home to ABQ and cover it over, pending locating another window.

I called Safelite, and they recommended I call Duncan Systems for a replacement window. Is anyone here familiar with them, or with another source for these windows? Sheesh.

Thanks -

Dan

I think most auto window places can make you a piece of flat glass to fit. Take the whole frame out and take it to them after you call around. Lots of places online that can make flat glass and ship it to you or you pick it up at their nearest distribution center. Some members have made a new window out of plexiglass too. Not a disaster. It can be fixed
Linda S

Here's one near you. even says they fix motorhome glass

http://www.horizonabq.com/custom-glass-work/

I think most auto window places can make you a piece of flat glass to fit. Take the whole frame out and take it to them after you call around. Lots of places online that can make flat glass and ship it to you or you pick it up at their nearest distribution center. Some members have made a new window out of plexiglass too. Not a disaster. It can be fixed

Linda S

Here's one near you. even says they fix motorhome glass

http://www.horizonabq.com/custom-glass-work/

Thanks, Linda

• 4 weeks later...

I just took my windows out and am in the process of trying to fiberglass the holes now. I'd be willing to sell you the window for $50 plus whatever it costs to ship it. I know the drivers side window is original but the passenger side window is plexiglass made to fit.

Thanks, but I got my insurance company on it, and they sent me to a local RV glass place. They located a new window assembly and will install it. Good luck with your fiberglass project! I've thought about that since I keep the window covered anyhow.

there used to be several RV rummage shops in Elkhart Indiana. Might try googling on that - I walked through one in 2008 - they had a lot of window assemblies. It is easy to remove the whole assembly then to change the glass panel.