Blowout!

First day of a 2 month road trip blowout of an eight yr old inner tire on back! Tread was good no cracks or dry rot Limped in to Fort Walmart camped out in back waiting on 4 new Nexen's tomorrow. Knew I shoulda listened to Linda S

Walmart will usually mount them for free but can't balance them due to a special adapter for the balancer.

Driving home from buying my Toy with 14 year old tires one shredded. There was no driving on, the tire would have destroyed the wheel well. Glad I bought road service before I went to get it! The tires did not look that bad, lots of thread, little checking, but no hiding that date stamp.

Some Wally's have the adapter some don't. Jim

I must be literally the only person that put full 6 lugs all around and carry a roadworthy spare tire. Because I did that, I never get a flat. Had I not done that...I'd have blown up too

I must be literally the only person that put full 6 lugs all around and carry a roadworthy spare tire. Because I did that, I never get a flat. Had I not done that...I'd have blown up too

Your just taking all the fun and excitement out of the adventure!

Jim SW FL

Looking on the bright side, free camping, coffee restrooms. BTW champion 3100 ran ac on Eco from 10:00 pm till 5am. Gallon n half of gas at $1.97 a gal that's 3 bucks to sleep cool all nite!

Can't beat that deal! How's that gen working out for you overall? Recommend?

Heck, I even did it on my 1978 Toyota Chinook (dually 6 lug wheels all around). I would not drive an RV that did not have a spare for the front or the back.

Last two Walmarts I went to - they could not even come up with any new valves to fit the rims. Last guy forced in the wrong size valve, it got cut, and blew off when he tried to fill the tire.

Only RV in this photo of my RVs that does not have 6 lug wheels front and back is the damn Datsun. That has two spares. By the way - I have a bunch of extra 6 lug dually wheels for the Datsun if anyone ever gets looking for one. Probably even rarer then the 6 X 7.25" wheels on the Toyota dually.

post-6578-0-57389300-1441198002_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-77218300-1441198003_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-31476400-1441198233_thumb.jp

I loved that show when I was a kid. Bo & Luke Duke were my heros; they weren't racist they didn't wear sheets or anything of the sort. The fact they represented white redneck culture is why they are 'banned" as white rednecks are under extermination as you mentioned. If that was my rig, I would definitely put the stars and bars on it along with an "01" on the doors; and then I'd camp it with pride; and play the dukes on my dvd. Some things can be banned but never forgotten. the warthog bow those boys shot is one of them. 5Toy worked in the factory that made those bows you know...

In the past year I have seen mountains renamed, flags banned, cops murdered every single day, EPA polluting rivers, smidgeons, wiping servers with rags the whole 9 yards. The only thing I haven't seen is anything get better for anyone; other than us people fixing up our toys.

jdemaris

Last two Walmarts I went to - they could not even come up with any new valves to fit the rims. Last guy forced in the wrong size valve, it got cut, and blew off when he tried to fill the tire.

That's what I have heard here a lot. When I replaced all my stems I kept the 3 best as spares. That way I will probably never need 'em. :) ....

In the past year I have seen mountains renamed, flags banned, cops murdered every single day, EPA polluting rivers, smidgeons, wiping servers with rags the whole 9 yards. The only thing I haven't seen is anything get better for anyone; other than us people fixing up our toys.

The Indian name "Huron" has been getting removed from school related things in Michigan. Makes me wonder what next - change "Lake Huron" to "Lake Obama?" That being said, this is at least one thing I am NOT blaming on our so-called leader of the "once free" world.

It was bad enough when a bunch of white academic liberals decided "Indians" should be "native Americans." That is more silly since "native American" had been used to describe an anti-Catholic and anti-Irish society in New England that one of presidents was part of.

"Huron" is no more of an insult then "Adirondack" is in New York to any Indians. Besides - I know plenty of Indians (who call themselves Indians) who are not upset about the names of parks, lakes, and rivers.

My wife and I love the Dukes of Hazard and have it all on DVD. I didn't know it was banned. Why? Because of a silly flag?

jde, yeah that was the #TwitterpeoplerunUSA reaction when some moron psycho shot up a black only church and posted a profile of himself draping a stars n bars in the background. it started a national movement to ban the rebel flag.

Personally I don't feel any vehicle is cool enough to fly that flag other than the general lee or anything looking like the general lee. My vehicles only fly the USA flag or the Gadsden; preferably the latter. I have seen many more people flying rebel flags in Michigan since the "ban" movement in a show of support for freedom to fly a flag and not be told what they can fly.

saw a pontoon boat on the lake with one that was 10 x 15 feet that would absolutely give certain types of people a heart attack.

Before I get yelled at here for commititng the forum "sin" of politics - this is our history and NOT politics.

The General Lee never had a "Confederate" flag on it anyhow. And the one that was just removed from whatever gov. building down south also was NOT the Confederate flag. It was a Virginia battle flag that used Saint Andrew's cross as a logo - just as the state of Mississippi still does. As I understand it - many "caring" liberals are mad at Kid Rock in Michigan because he likes the battle-flag of Virginia too.

To me - the real Confederate flag as well as the Virginia flag being called a "Confederate" flag have little to do with racism. It's about the individual rights or a state versus a huge Federal government. Our founders (mostly traitors to the British crown) were very hesitant to become involved in any sort of state alliance with a central government just for this reason (losing colony or state's rights).

Article # 2 in the "Articles of Confederation" of 1861 shows the concern for the rights of each state . ." Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States"

Article #6 shows the concern of the "Federal" government over states getting together on their own . "No two or more States shall enter into any treaty, confederation or alliance whatever between them, without the consent of the United States in Congress assembled,"

Article # 11 let Canada join us. Seems that did not work out. "Canada acceding to this confederation, and adjoining in the measures of the United States, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this Union;"

Things are getting pretty bad if we're calling 8 year old tires "unsafe." Ten years is a general rule used by some people. I've had many HD tires last me 20 years with no issues. That's on highway vehicles. Not uncommon to have tires on a backhoe or tractor that are 30 plus years old. If tires are really starting to fail at 8 years - consumers have a serious gripe about the crap quality that is being sold. The tires on my plow truck predate the "new" tire dating code that came out in year 2000. So they are at least 15 year sold and I suspect over 20. Would I drive 65 MPH down the highway with them on a long trip? No. But 8 years? Heck yes.

Note I am fully aware that there are some tires with a crappy rubber compound that show dry-rot cracks when 5 years old. Hopefully they are an exception and not a rule. Tire makers would love it if we were all forced to buy tires every 5 years and maybe consumers need to pay more attention and gripe more.

I wonder how old tires were in the past when recapped, regrooved, etc. I bet pretty old and many did fine.