Fuel Tank

sitztoy

Hi,

I'm the latest newbie so I'm hoping this thing posts ok.

I have a 83 Sunrader (month old to me). The previous owner had installed a brand new (from Toyota) carb because he thought it was flooding. He told me that the new carb was having the same problem because sometimes he smelled raw gas. I filled the tank the day that I bought it. I usually try to put a little more gas in after the pump shuts off automatically. I did this time and heard liquid pouring out. It was fuel from the filler hose. I have been driving the rig around locally for a month now trying to get the fuel level down in the tank (and dry weather on the weekend) so I can work on it. I saw that the hose was split at the clamp where it fastens to the tank. Maybe this weekend I can finally get it fixed.

Greg, did you ever fix the leak that you had (I've been reading some of the forum)? Was it your tank or your filler hose? I'm finding that filler hose leaks are common on different makes of the Toyota rigs.

Looks like I have to remove the end at the tank first and cover the tank opening, then drill the 3 rivets from the outside fill opening and try to pull the hose out from underneath with foam insulation trying to hold it in between the propane compartment and wheel well.

I'm just trying to find someone who has done this on a Sunrader before.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jerry

I have not repaired my tank. For some reason it has not been leaking lately, maybe its because its winter. My leak comes from the two access panels where the fuel lines and gauge sender enter the tank. I just found out that when my 26 gallon tank is way way down on empty I still have 7 gallons in the tank. So I will be attempting to adjust that when I do fix the gaskets. The sender unit is around $125 from toyota. In fact the tank maker told me that they used stock toyota gaskets, and everything else from the stock tank. My tank also has a fuel pump inside so I am considering replacing all the inards so that I do not have to worry about it in the future.

I have not removed the filler hose so I can not comment.

Hey, welcome to the group here. Its small right now but hopefully one day it will blossum.

Greg