Scusset Beach, Cape Cod (Proof Of Life)

Back East Don

At 2 years and almost 10 months in between camping trips, the vacation drought is officially over.

We've attempted to camp at this site more times than I can count and every time, I've had to cancel for one reason or another.

Scusset Beach is a State park on the inner portion of the Cape located right at the end of the canal just before the Sagamore bridge.

canal_03.jpg

The park has a public beach, fishing jetty and campsite. The camping is right at the edge of the public parking but except for one end row of sites, is very nicely isolated but only a short walk to the beach or fishing. The jetty has its own parking lot, a testament to its popularity as a good fishing spot and you will find people fishing there at all times of day and night.

canal_01.jpg

Unlike many commercial camping areas, you'll find the sites are not all on top of each other. They are nicely spaced and there is a combination of open and tree shaded spots. A quick google earth map search will help with picking your type of spot. Just be forewarned, these need to be booked well in advance especially during peak summer season. The reservation like most of the New England state parks are handled by Reserve America and you can reserve up to 6 months in advance (and will likely need to). This park is undergoing renovations this year. The electrical hookups have been updated and expanded. Now most sites except a few tent sites now have water and electric where only a few did in the past. The bathroom and shower building has also been renovated and is clean and in good shape.

camper_02.jpg

We arrived in between the rain and managed a walk along the paved path that follows the canal and even a evening walk along the mostly deserted beach. Later it would downpour and it rained all night. Camper stayed dry and we got not a drop inside due to the new roof.

beach_02.jpg

The next morning it was pretty cool and still really cloudy so we decided to go out for breakfast and then head up to the end of the national seashore to see if there were anymore over sand permits available. AS we were heading out, the exhaust system decided it had enough as the pipe broke just after the Cat. We limped along noisily to a local place called The Blueberry Muffin. We had something called the Crabby Patty Benedict which was yum. Maryland Crab cakes with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Not a light breakfast though. We decided after eating that any trip other than the one home was out so back to the camp ground for a day at the beach. Fortunately the sun began to come out after noon time. The water on the bay side of the cape tends to be warmer. I found the water still cool-ish but my wife grew up 20 feet from the ocean and not going in is not an option. We hung out on the blanket and took a nap, ate some fruit for lunch and pretty much did nothing in particular for the afternoon. It was actually the perfect choice.

beach.jpg

More rain was predicted for later that night so it was a quick meal of some fresh ravioli's we brought and meatballs. A quick note: Alcohol is prohibited at all MA state parks. Usually not a problem if you keep that bottle of Chianti out of sight. We ate, cleaned up and prepared the motor home for a quick departure in the morning as we were not sure if there would be lingering rain pulling out.

camper.jpg

We could have benefited from a check list before heading out. We missed a lot of little stuff but the intention was to just see if this old camper still was going to do it for us. Our last year camping had a lot of magic to it. The question this trip needed to answer was is there any still left. We really needed a break and to get away from it all. A quick mid week trip with questionable weather was pretty much the prescription we needed. Even the broken exhaust served to break the cycle of the need to be doing anything. So we did nothing for a couple days. We had fun, relaxed and escaped our everyday problems. While not without problems, it was fun. It was also nice to see my wife unwind from all the stress she has been under. I'll get the RV fixed and better prepared for the next trip. We have friends in Maine that have been asking us to visit them at the beach. Maybe in a few weeks.

Proper use of a Toyota Motorhome, did all of your roof repair do its job?

Proper use of a Toyota Motorhome, did all of your roof repair do its job?

Recently it seems like monsoon season around here as we have had some pretty heavy rains. I couldn't be more pleased with how I no longer have to worry about the top, front and windows. Sealed up tight. I really feel like I made the right choice for longevity.